PDA

View Full Version : To Turbo? or To Supercharge?

willard
09-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Here's my dilemma i do alot of auto cross when im in the states so i know a SC would be ideal because of the instant power but at max i believe i can only get like 10 lbs at most. Now I have been told just turbo it, But i hear that turbos wear out faster and wear your engine more. So my question is i need some real opinions from actual experience of having either on your car. Also about how much it has run to maintain either. I am running a LS/VTEC right now just FYI. Now My buddy in florida who built my car says to go turbo but hes running a b16 with 12 lbs boots. I like to go to the strip and race but I love to auto cross so I don't know.:thinking:

-S Double C-
09-04-2010, 05:16 PM
turbo, supercharged is a waste of money. Ive been down both roads and had over 30 swaps in my past.

kte324
09-04-2010, 06:08 PM
turbo, supercharged is a waste of money. Ive been down both roads and had over 30 swaps in my past.

he recommends getting a bike

-S Double C-
09-05-2010, 05:05 PM
or that or something luxury

LIKEG6
09-05-2010, 07:26 PM
I was gonna say netiher cause it will throw you in the damn straight race car class but you have a swap so you're already gonna be in that category at the auto-x.

If you're doing auto-x I say keep it NA or supercharge it. A turbo just won't be fun when you're mostly in 2nd gear the whole time. Dunno what suspension you have on there but since you already have the ls/v I would invest in some good suspension. Strut bars, sway bars, energy suspension bushings, brakes and lines stuff like that. Not sure what you've done to the motor either but that's my opinion.

Road course racing is what I've always wanted to do with my car. Once I get it where I want it I'm gonna go to some track days

willard
09-06-2010, 03:05 AM
I got all the bars and getting the buddy club suspension. i have neuspeed coil overs right now.

justnprsh07
09-06-2010, 01:26 PM
It all comes down to how much power you want to make and how much you want to work on it if you go buy and ebay kit you willl half to work on it all the time but if you buy a supercharger you can do 15 pounds easy cost about the same and way way less work if your only going 10 to 15 psi go supercharged

willard
09-07-2010, 03:04 AM
Ok so I have been leaning mostly towards the SC but Now how and how much do i lower my compression being I'm at 12:1 and i know for sure I can't run that.

-S Double C-
09-07-2010, 05:16 AM
if you have a 12:1 ls/vtec id stay N/A 200-220whp is easily attainable or sell the swap and build a lower compression motor. No point in tearing apart a good n/a setup motor.

willard
09-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Hmm yea but how many people actually buy N/A setups anymore? I dont know i would have to do some serious thought on selling the whole setup. shit maybe i just need to buy a whole new car and go that route. anyone selling a EG Hatch?

LIKEG6
09-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Just keep it NA. That 200hp or so ls/v will be almost he same as a 300hp turbo or supercharger setup

willard
09-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Almost but I want to be faster i hate getting beat just because a dang turbo drives me crazy my last place i lived everyone had turbos. So I got my ass handed to be alot. dont get me wrong I love my N/A setup just want to get that edge that Pushes me ahead of other cars so I actually have a chance I have fun beating mustangs but when i line up with other tuners there almost always running damn Forced induction. I'm just trying to figure out what I should do. Is it they just dont know how to build a bad ass N/A setup or is it just easier to turbo it than to take the time and tear it down to build it right?

Drummerboy
09-07-2010, 05:45 PM
I can only speak from personal experience:

I have a Turbo F22A1 in my prelude. Stock compression of 8.8:1, so it's great for boost. I ran 12psi for 2 years. Dogged my car out, hit redline daily, drove it 40+ miles each way to college every day. Only problem I ever had was boost leaks and a cracked downpipe that dumped exhaust air straight at my Alternator, which killed it.

So as far as reliability, my turbo setup has ran like a champ. It's a Turbonetics T3/T4 kit (evolution WG/Raptor BOV). I mainly did 4/5th gear pulls since I was on the highway alot, so I did have a slight lag coming from a dig. But if you get the right compression/turbo/gearing set up you shouldnt have any problems. Thats why I'm whiching to a DOHC F20A, slightly higher compression, so less lag.

LIKEG6
09-08-2010, 04:28 AM
You can't ever just build it to compete with the other guy. There's always gonna be someone faster. Haha

If you really want to turbo then just find a shell or a already boosted car that has a quality kit, tune and parts on it but you'll have to spend the money to get that. Yes, a lot of people are boosting these days cause it's the easiest and most of the time cheapest way to make power with our 4 cylinder cars. I have drove both kinds and yes, boost is definitely my favorite. I really wish I had the money to build a nice NA car which I'm thinking about doing with my current one.

I know around here in columbus not many people have any fast/quick whatever hondas, with the exception of a few people. Some are being built but are not out yet.

For the street I say build a 350-400hp turbo civic and pwn most people around here but since you said you liked to autocross I would keep the NA and build more on what you already have.

99jdmLs
09-08-2010, 09:20 AM
a well built NA car is alot of fun, its just a different kind of fun. its all a matter on what you are wanting. i may have missed it, but what to you have the ls/vtec in? that also plays a big role it what you should do. you don't really want a 400hp 1500lb honda with crappy suspension, you will just spin and you will def loose. like said before, suspension plays a huge role.

kte324
09-08-2010, 11:24 AM
What kind of rods/pistions are in the engine now?

willard
09-08-2010, 02:59 PM
ls bottom end
jdm p30 pistons OS
arp rods bolts
new bearings, water pump, oil pump, timing belt, tensioner, seals gaskets
ect
b16 head
golden eagle ls vtec kit
type r trans w/lsd
b16 intake manifold
b16 tb

kte324
09-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Well I was thinking if you had aftermarket pistons/rods and had a little lower compression (11.0-11.5:1) to just boost what you have with a really good tune. In your case since you like auto x to just supercharge it, but you are going to be limited to the power. Or you could just run a small turbo so you will have very little lag. Like the guy said above, turbo are reliable if done right. You could also, buy another hatch, build it, and just put spray on the one you have now for the street.

justnprsh07
09-08-2010, 07:02 PM
i recently had a h22 hatch stock bottom just 11:5 comp pistons and a built head and there wasnt another na in town that could touch it i outran turbo and supercharged cars and i promise you if you were to take what you got and put a 75 shot and only use it when you needed it you could out run almost any honda in columbus i only know of three built turbo hondas and there never out and when they do come out they never run them

kte324
09-08-2010, 08:01 PM
i recently had a h22 hatch stock bottom just 11:5 comp pistons and a built head and there wasnt another na in town that could touch it i outran turbo and supercharged cars and i promise you if you were to take what you got and put a 75 shot and only use it when you needed it you could out run almost any honda in columbus i only know of three built turbo hondas and there never out and when they do come out they never run them

well i know your not talking about me because i ran a crown vic on 26's two nights ago

justnprsh07
09-09-2010, 08:13 PM
me you and prey actually and what did you run him in the turbo hatch or the other turbo hatch or the teg or logans old teg or the m5 or the 318 or your moms built civic???? what you need to do is sell one of those damn cars and buy a truck ...

lmr_Bseries
09-09-2010, 10:25 PM

yeah but you never tried that redline dude from that 120 roll...your shit would of got owned hahahahaha :crazy:

*and to the OP just remember whatever you do decide to go with make sure that is what you want to do and don't build your car for someone else like most of these people do* :goodjob:

boosted347
09-09-2010, 11:02 PM
yeah but you never tried that redline dude from that 120 roll...your shit would of got owned hahahahaha :crazy:

*and to the OP just remember whatever you do decide to go with make sure that is what you want to do and don't build your car for someone else like most of these people do* :goodjob:

i would say supercharger for an auto-x car but the compression is the main problem with your setup but personally i like turbo setups, but thats for a street car not a 2nd gear auto x car

is this a saturn redline you speak of?

justnprsh07
09-10-2010, 05:48 AM
Yea its that red headed kid that runs around with the blue redline we raced from a 40 to like 140 twice and I would pull like 2 1/2 cars and just hold it so he was like "let's go from a 120"

lmr_Bseries
09-10-2010, 10:34 AM
is this a saturn redline you speak of?

yeah the red headed guy in the blue one that races like everyone ha...it was too funny when he said he wanted to race Parish from a 120 roll...who does that lol :crazy:

boosted347
09-10-2010, 02:45 PM
lolololololol i apologize for him bein so fuckin dumb he is a buddy of mine, or acquaintance more or less, but he thinks that thing is so fast...he has a b16 del sol that he wants to run my car from a dig in :) his name is brandon btw

also that car would not go anywhere from a 120 roll

kte324
09-11-2010, 01:21 AM
me you and prey actually and what did you run him in the turbo hatch or the other turbo hatch or the teg or logans old teg or the m5 or the 318 or your moms built civic???? what you need to do is sell one of those damn cars and buy a truck ...

your right about that, im taking things to far trying to haul motors in a hatch. i think i am going to sell the 318 and get a small truck.

willard
09-21-2010, 11:27 AM
your right about that, im taking things to far trying to haul motors in a hatch. i think i am going to sell the 318 and get a small truck.

Got a EG Hatch you want to come off of?

kte324
09-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Got a EG Hatch you want to come off of?

just traded a cx shell with buddy of mine for an integra.

willard
09-22-2010, 02:08 AM
Well keep a look out for me. I dont care if its automatic either

willard
10-16-2010, 01:03 AM
decided to stay N/A but now im likin the H swap for some reason HAHA

lmr_Bseries
10-16-2010, 01:13 AM
decided to stay N/A but now im likin the H swap for some reason HAHA

thats were its at man ha :goodjob:

justnprsh07
10-16-2010, 08:38 AM
i can take you to a shop thats driving around 250hp plus h22 hatches around everyday for getting good gas millage and there really built allmotor hatches are just rediculos but for the price and stock for stock its hard to beat an h in my opinion

willard
10-16-2010, 09:58 AM
end state I want my car to be sitting at around 300 HP N/A

justnprsh07
10-17-2010, 02:42 PM
300 is very possible on a na h.. hell i know how you can build a 250hp to the ground h with only using stock honda parts i know of a select few guys with right at and a little over 400 on a h series allmotor but there no where close to being able to drive on the street... if you get serious about building an allmotor h let me know and ill hook you up with someone

willard
10-17-2010, 03:16 PM
300 is very possible on a na h.. hell i know how you can build a 250hp to the ground h with only using stock honda parts i know of a select few guys with right at and a little over 400 on a h series allmotor but there no where close to being able to drive on the street... if you get serious about building an allmotor h let me know and ill hook you up with someone ok For sure ill need to find somone to buy my LS/VTEC first sorry about yesterday had to go to TN to raplace a radioter for my father inlaw.