PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods turbo my civic????

htchking
03-31-2005, 04:25 PM
i was wondering if i could turbo my d15b motor without fucking up something?

iNsTuN nOoDoH
03-31-2005, 04:46 PM
yeah.

htchking
03-31-2005, 05:30 PM
could give me some sights or something more bout doing it cuz i cant find or even seen it done

Negrodamus
03-31-2005, 05:44 PM
go DOHC atleast b18b

Mr_S13®
03-31-2005, 06:01 PM
No, you can turbo it...I personally have seen many very fast sohc motors with turbo kits. And as far as your d15b...it is really no different than the z6...so any of the sohc turbo kits for you car would work flawlessly.

jonnyboy0150
03-31-2005, 06:37 PM
WORD! ^^^

My buddy had a 94 coupe with a lightly built SOHC and he ran a 12 flat in the quarter on 16psi. It was a beast. His kit was all pieced together tho.
I think even edelbrock makes a turbo kit especially for the d series motors and im sure there are tons of other kits out there.

iNsTuN nOoDoH
03-31-2005, 08:04 PM
www.turbod16.com don't go dohc,stick to the sohc it has potential and its cheaper. about 1300 you can get a pretty good setup and dust gsr's with ease. stock internals can hold 8-10 psi.

Negrodamus
03-31-2005, 11:25 PM
www.turbod16.com don't go dohc,stick to the sohc it has potential and its cheaper. about 1300 you can get a pretty good setup and dust gsr's with ease. stock internals can hold 8-10 psi.

For a bout 1300 you can get a 1st or 2nd gen b16 or atleast save a lil and get a gsr, why spend 1300 for a turbo kit and have the same hp as a gsr with a intake? Unless you like the sound of a BOV.

btw...i do have a d16 and in the process of goin b18b turbo. :D

iNsTuN nOoDoH
04-01-2005, 07:07 AM
Ur a dumbass haha. Iif you really wanna be cheap u could spend at least 800 on a getto-rigged turbo kit and still make more hp than a gsr and a lot more more torque. 1500 on a jdm b16 get u what? Probably no axles ecu mounts.... That extra 1000 or so you could spend on some internals and possibly hit low 13s high 12s.... But if you got the money for both the swap and turbo...go for it

iNsTuN nOoDoH
04-01-2005, 07:15 AM
Ur a dumbass haha. Iif you really wanna be cheap u could spend at least 800 on a getto-rigged turbo kit and still make more hp than a gsr and a lot more more torque. 1500 on a jdm b16 get u what? Probably no axles ecu mounts.... That extra 1000 or so you could spend on some internals and possibly hit low 13s high 12s.... But if you got the money for both the swap and turbo...go for it

BTEC
04-01-2005, 11:10 AM
[QUOTE=KingElli]For a bout 1300 you can get a 1st or 2nd gen b16 or atleast save a lil and get a gsr, why spend 1300 for a turbo kit and have the same hp as a gsr with a intake? Unless you like the sound of a BOV.

i havent seen n e 2nd gen b16 setups go fo that price. where u getting that price at?

BaHumBugg
04-01-2005, 07:42 PM
[QUOTE=KingElli]For a bout 1300 you can get a 1st or 2nd gen b16 or atleast save a lil and get a gsr, why spend 1300 for a turbo kit and have the same hp as a gsr with a intake? Unless you like the sound of a BOV.

i havent seen n e 2nd gen b16 setups go fo that price. where u getting that price at?

if you want big numbers do the swap.

THEONE
04-01-2005, 08:54 PM
ask me what not to do if you decide to go with the getto set up.

BTEC
04-01-2005, 09:15 PM
[QUOTE=BTEC]

if you want big numbers do the swap.

i already have a b16, i was asking where the prices of 1300 for b16's come from.

BTEC
04-01-2005, 09:17 PM
ask me what not to do if you decide to go with the getto set up.

spill it...

EmotorsportsE
04-01-2005, 10:44 PM
Hey Jesse, you want a spare B16A2 block, with a freshly machined crank?

Eric

EmotorsportsE
04-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Hey Jesse, you want a spare B16A2 block, with a fresh crank?

Eric

THEONE
04-01-2005, 11:00 PM
well along time ago i would have said diffrent,but after doing the half assed turbo set up to try and save a buck im thinking much diffrently now.

1.dont cheap out on your engine a fuel management.a fmu works but if it fails you could lose your engine.they over work stock injectors and cause them to fail ,if one shuts down while your in boost you can do a hell of alot of damage.get the good stuff the correct injectors for you application.walbro fuel pump,hondata or something with some way of tuning the thing.oh and try to stay away from running a huge injector only to tune it down so much it flow the same as RC310's.

2.turbo!! you can get a junkyard turbo that works perfectly,but those are rare.almost all need a rebuild or some sort of repair.by the time you add up the cost of rebuilding a j/y turbo you could have bought a much better aftermarket turbo of some kind.and you need to rig up a really ugly adapter to match the turbo to a manifold,that takes alot of time and in the end im pretty sure it will find its way into the trash.

3.intercooler,use one dont cheap out.they are well worth the money.and junkyard intercoolers do work,but they will need to be cleaned really well to remove all the oil from them.most turboed cars in the j/y are there because of a bad turbo or a blown engine from a bad turbo.

4.piping from the turbo to the intake.dont use pvc pipe.i dont think i need to tell you why just dont.and avoid the homedepot rubber couplers,they will burst after 10psi.you will replace them so much you would have been able to buy the good stuff.

5.oil lines. very important if you want your turbo to last and a clean engine bay run steel braided oil lines.dont use rubber lines,they will dry rot,crack,leak,and bye bye turbo.

6.air fuel guage.if you get one dont bother with the pepboys special.they are really no help with anyhing,unless you like pretty lights bouncing back and forth.

there are a few more things i could add but im sleepy now.just stick with a realistic boost level dont push your little(stock) engine to hard.
and buy a good kit and before you buy that kit do some research on it,hell ask people on IA they can help ya.
i could have bought 3 kits witht he money i wasted on homemade setups mostly because of the used turbos and cheap assed fmu, now all i got is a pile of scrap metal and i feel pretty stupid about it,the only thing i had left that was worth a crap was my hks ssq bov and that guy up there bought it from me^^^that thing was cool .but you live and you learn i guess. if want to go the used route be careful there is some good stuff out there but there is also alot of trash.so save your cash and be patient and get something you really want,dont rush!!!!....oh and last but not least get you car tuned by someone who knows what the hell they are doing dont set your car up and tune it like a buddies all cars are diffrent.check with the sponsors im sure they will be glad to help you out....i will never run a used turbo again or a half assed fmu.some people have no trouble with the stuff i mentioned but trust me do it right the first time,save money,and be happy with your reliable boosted engine.good luck and i hope this helps someone

RiceBoy
04-04-2005, 10:23 PM
^
|
|____Thats one of the best post I have seen on Import Atlanta for years...:D. Take this wise mans advises.

damochan
04-05-2005, 02:12 PM
I believe both greddy and edelbrock make a turbo kit for the D16Z6 like I have but not usre about the D15 I would try to talk to one of their sales or service reps for more info. SOHC has mucho potential though. I beat my friends modded 1999 SI twice with intake exhaust and better driving skills :idb: and I have a 95 ex coupe. lol. so have fun.

green91
04-05-2005, 05:01 PM
you can easily make more HP than a GSR on stock internals d-series and boost. some of its in the setup - make your own kit... but the most important thing is engine management!!! i highly recommend turboedit for obd0 and uberdata for obd1. obd2 tuning is nearly non-existant

BTEC
04-09-2005, 01:34 PM
E@E im guessing you're selling it, for how much. Is that the block that i heard was cracked?

scttydb411
04-10-2005, 12:26 AM
don't listen to those that say ghetto turbos and d-series aren't worth it:
http://www.importlounge.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27825&hl=
i'm too lazy to retype all that, but read that thread.

more whp and tq than a gsr w/ bolt on's for way less time and money. i say boost it and use it to learn on then step up and use the turbo kit for a cheap b-series like an b18b.

there's something to be said about pulling on someone that's dumped a a##load of $$ into a swap and then being able to say, "it's just a sohc non-vtec."

scttydb411
04-10-2005, 12:29 AM
http://www.importlounge.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28590&hl=
and this one too.

THEONE
04-10-2005, 04:11 PM
[QUOTE=scttydb411]don't listen to those that say ghetto turbos and d-series aren't worth it:

yeah,i guess im wrong.listen to him^^^ and when you screw your engine up im sure he will be happy to buy you another.....remeber my friend i went the "getto" route...i use to sound like you..look how much i saved on my ugly assed getto turbo set up, and yes you will save money but im sure all of it will cover all the damage to your engine.in the end you will wish you had bought the real deal. and whats this obsession with comparing everything to a gsr?and who cares how much someone else spent to get thier car the way they want it.but if i had to chose and i still had my crx i would choose the gsr swap over the getto turbo any day.but do what you want,its your car

Negrodamus
04-10-2005, 09:09 PM
Do it the right way the first time. Either way you go you're going to have to spend some change so why not do it right

green91
04-10-2005, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE=scttydb411]don't listen to those that say ghetto turbos and d-series aren't worth it:

yeah,i guess im wrong.listen to him^^^ and when you screw your engine up im sure he will be happy to buy you another.....remeber my friend i went the "getto" route...i use to sound like you..look how much i saved on my ugly assed getto turbo set up, and yes you will save money but im sure all of it will cover all the damage to your engine.in the end you will wish you had bought the real deal. and whats this obsession with comparing everything to a gsr?and who cares how much someone else spent to get thier car the way they want it.but if i had to chose and i still had my crx i would choose the gsr swap over the getto turbo any day.but do what you want,its your car

so you think if its not a production kit its going to fubar your car? youve got a thing or two to learn man. i made my own kit and have had 0 problems.

Negrodamus
04-10-2005, 09:10 PM
SOHC turbo is like a skinny guy in a muscle shirt.

green91
04-10-2005, 09:13 PM
sohc turbo puts down respectable #s

THEONE
04-10-2005, 09:26 PM
[QUOTE=bodydropped]

so you think if its not a production kit its going to fubar your car? youve got a thing or two to learn man. i made my own kit and have had 0 problems.

great im glad you made your own kit,and no i dont think a production kit will not do any harm.you can have the best turbo kit on the market.but if you dont have a reliable engine and fuel mangement then you will have problems.
and im sure your kit works great,my last homemade kit work better than all of my other kits.the reason i gave this guy this advice is so he does not blow his money and his motor on the wrong stuff.since hes asking about kits he proably does not know what to look for to put together a low buck kit.
i could build him a low boost 6-7psi kit intercooled for 500.00 with stock injectors and a fmu or 750.00 with a safc2 and dsm 450cc injectors. and i fab my own manifolds from scratch im quite the little metal fabricator:)and my kit would last along time and maybe never have a single problem...im trying to give this guy a push in the right direction and people keep saying im wrong.hmmmm sounds like you need to learn a thing or two.
i know what it is , its turbo envy since your kit is getto the thought of someone else having quailty stuff bothers you doesnt it?oh well just dont screw this guy up ok...thanks

Negrodamus
04-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Preach brotha, Preach

THEONE
04-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Preach brotha, Preach

:D i do my best

green91
04-11-2005, 06:13 AM
im just so used to hearing people say im gonna blow my motor because its not a greddy kit.. blah blah... i thought you were knocking on home-made setups :) my apologies

iNsTuN nOoDoH
04-11-2005, 10:39 PM
i got a ghetto kit with a new turbo not junkyard turbo and I'm still fine. I got d series pride haha with the money you can put into a swap you can come CLOSE to building a d series capable of low 13's high 12's...

THEONE
04-12-2005, 08:42 PM
i got a ghetto kit with a new turbo not junkyard turbo and I'm still fine. I got d series pride haha with the money you can put into a swap you can come CLOSE to building a d series capable of low 13's high 12's...
i would not consider your kit getto,it looks good to me.the only thing on yours thats homemade is the piping,right?oh and i love that b.o.v:) heres a picture of a getto kit ..its a big picture so you can see the fine getto detail.

scttydb411
05-08-2005, 11:29 AM
i think your intentions are misguided, but well intended. do i mean go out and buy a junkyard turbo that you know absolutely nothing about??? hell no...unless you plan on rebuilding it before you use it or only if you can attest that it's not wasted and blowing oil and bad bearings/bushings.

here's the deal...i've been boosted for over 2 years on a stock internal d-series non-vtec w/ homemade kit. 193whp/187wtq. never had to do anything besides basic maintenence (oil, plugs, cap/rotor, wires, tires, clutch, etc). i'd say that's pretty damn reliable considering i've seen people w/ prefab kits lose their motor in 2 months. it's all about research and tune!!

how do you want to do it? can you afford a premade kit? can you afford to build your own kit w/ new parts? are you willing to do the right research and find the best deals on the most reliable part of your system (turbo) and be willing to wait a while?

i'd suggest building your own kit w/ new parts if you can afford it. don't skimp on the turbo. even on my homemade kit i made sure i bought a low mile almost new turbo, but it was used. therefore, part together your kit w/ all new parts and get the management you want (uberdata, crome, hondata, etc) instead of having to buy a kit and toss the management that comes w/ it.

if you want a more simplified and inexpensive turbo on your car talk to charles at mainstream performance and me about uberdata. you'll have a great kit w/ what you need.

TommyD1919
05-29-2005, 12:43 AM
I would love to buy a B16 hydro swap for $1300.00... Hell Im in for 10 at that price... I pay $1900.00 and up for them...

As far as a turboing the D15... Buy a used greddy kit (with the blue box) for about $800.00.... Its made for the D16Z6 but will bolt up with 0 problems... Run it non intercooled at 4lbs... or buy a $150.00 ebay special IC and have some pipes made and run 7lbs... Safely.... Beyond that it will die a miserable death... I have put about 15 kits on D15 cars.....