PDA

View Full Version : Misc Need some wireless network advice asap

HyPer50
11-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Well, I currently have a WCG200 gateway in my bedroom (main computer) and a WET11 v2 bridge in the living room... Well lately the bridge has stopped recieving a signal in the living room... so using this as a good excuse to upgrade the network since the gateway REALLY hasn't been impressing me... even being directly wired to it.

So today went to CompUSA and the guy recommended a WRT54G wireless router, and a WMP54G PCI adapter for the computer in the living room. Do yall have any opinion on this setup? I looked online and the router got pretty good reviews but the PCI adapter got very mixed opinions... What would you guys recommend? Basically all I'm trying to do is have my computer in my room hooked up, and the computer in the living room hooked up... Just 2 computers, not even 30 feet apart but it seems as if something is up with this house and most wireless things are extremely weak in here... Please let me know your opinions ASAP cause right now, the only computer with internet access is the one in my room lol.

Edit: Oh ya, and ALL the products I was referring to were Linksys products.

Spyder
11-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Linksys is good stuff, Compusa however is WAY over priced.

HyPer50
11-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Linksys is good stuff, Compusa however is WAY over priced.

Oh definatly... I wasn't planning on buying it from them... I always go to pricewatch.com to find the best prices on things lol... I always hear great things about Linksys.. but thus far my only complaint about them is that they, like alot of companys have outsourced there tech support to India.... So when I called over there for help, I don't know if it's just cause I'm ignorant or what, but I have a very hard time understanding anything the guys were saying...

Spyder
11-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Oh definatly... I wasn't planning on buying it from them... I always go to pricewatch.com to find the best prices on things lol... I always hear great things about Linksys.. but thus far my only complaint about them is that they, like alot of companys have outsourced there tech support to India.... So when I called over there for help, I don't know if it's just cause I'm ignorant or what, but I have a very hard time understanding anything the guys were saying...

I have a belkin wireless router and a few different types of wireless devices i use here and i have had no problems or connection issues. personlly i buy most my stuff from a few stores off jimmy carter blvd as they are about 1-2 bucks more then price watch but i can get it the same day... and i dont like to wait on stuff to ship :)

HyPer50
11-12-2005, 12:27 AM
Come on folks... I really need some good recommendations here... I know some of you bastards work in the field so help me out here.. Gracias lol

Deaf Pimp
11-12-2005, 01:56 AM
I just got finished wiring up a 5000 sq ft building with wireless. Simplistic. I had them buy a Linksys router and a 7dbi antenna's. This provided pretty damn good coverage for most of the first floor. Only in their case I used wireless access points jacked into their LAN network upstairs. In your case, I would recommend getting a Linksys router and a Linksys range extender. You should be able to pick up both items for just under $120. You would obviously configure the wireless router and then you can use a CDROM to configure the extender. Really easy and you can't go wrong with Linksys. I use Netgear wireless router at my place. The routers work fine, but the wireless cards suck. I am about to switch over to a Linksys card because I've heard way better reviews for Linksys. Linksys uses all Cisco chips/hardware which I trust a lot more than Atheros or any other wireless chip companies.

ludechopper
11-13-2005, 10:21 AM
I just bought the linksyswrt54g wireless broadband router with 4 port switch and it works great. I have a dell axim ant it picks up every where in my house and a good ways outside I have no complaints. I am a network adnim over about 110 computers and my linksys works as good as anything I have at work. I would reccomend it to anyone And I have a lot of experence with wireless.

threehundred
11-14-2005, 09:45 AM
I'd go with just what you looked at. The linksys wrt54g and the pci adapter. You shouldn't need the Linksys range extender. If you think you don't have enough range, go with the 7dbi antenna's that Deaf Pimp mentioned. In my house i have, wrt54g wireless router, 3 laptops wireless with builtin wi-fi, a wired desktop beside the router, and 7dbi antennas. The antennas are overboard. I doubt you need anything more than the wrt54g and matching PCI card.

tony
11-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Sorry man I just remembered this thread, I'm not completely familiar with wireless routers, I basically deal with Bellsouth's wireless modems which arent bad at all, I can pick up signal from a customers house in my truck with no problems. I'll try and find some info for ya on linksys products.