PDA

View Full Version : How do you cut Springs?

KillZon3
08-18-2010, 10:19 PM
What the easier way to go by doing so?

civic gsr
08-18-2010, 10:40 PM
ill be easier if you buy some no name brand from ebay until you get the cash to buy a good set cuttin the springs is bad sometimes trust me i done it before and sometimes one side is lower than the other one

KillZon3
08-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Is there a difference in Ebay coilover or no name ones?

revenge
08-18-2010, 10:58 PM
dont do it because 99.9999999 percent of the time the car will drive like a bouncy ball.......

bafbrian
08-18-2010, 11:15 PM
You can do it properly if you take you time. If you are content with cutting your springs, measure a few inches around the coil, marking it in increments. Be sure that when you mark the coil you want to cut, it is the "dead coils" in small increments. Start by cutting a small amount at a time, but beware that excessive heat can do damage to the spring itself. The biggest factor is determining how much you are trying to drop the car. If you are going less than a inch, then you could cut the spring. IMO and experience, anything greater than that, it is best to buy lowering springs. I have done it before to several cars. As long as you measure, cut properly, and take your time, it can be done.

-EnVus-
08-18-2010, 11:27 PM
ill be easier if you buy some no name brand from ebay until you get the cash to buy a good set cuttin the springs is bad sometimes trust me i done it before and sometimes one side is lower than the other one

Yeah springs are cheap these days so its the best deal ive had cut when i was younger and it looks ok but rides like shit and ruins bushings ans suspension. If you wanna go really low then do coil overs and the only difference ive noticed between no name and name brand is no name strips or breaks sometimes.

Hektik
08-18-2010, 11:35 PM
How-do-you-cut-Springs
Very carefully. Lol. Seriously tho. Just save the cash and get a set of eBay coilover sleeves. The Megan ones are alright. A bit bouncy but pretty decent IMO.

-EnVus-
08-18-2010, 11:37 PM
what you need them for ?

chava_rx7
08-18-2010, 11:47 PM
dont do it because 99.9999999 percent of the time the car will drive like a bouncy ball.......

Not really, it depends how u go bout doing it, usually the more heat u apply the softer the spring gets thus u get the bounce effect, some people heat them up some cut with saw saw, I had lowering spring (eibach), and cut springs on my rx7 I wasent happy with the drop of the lowering spring so I sold them, and cut my stock springs, I took them off an cut them slowly, every time heat would build up I would dump it in water an then continue until cut, at the end you could only tell the difference between the brand name an cut springs under hard cornering because of the stock spring still being softer than the after market, cut spring are the cheapest way to lower ur car, if u got the equipment to do it, if not it will end up costing just as much if not more than a good set of springs, hope this helped

quickdodgeŽ
08-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Not really, it depends how u go bout doing it, usually the more heat u apply the softer the spring gets thus u get the bounce effect,

Years of experience gives me the opportunity to disagree with this. I ONLY heat my springs so that I do NOT have a bouncy ride. More often than not, you'll get more of a bounce on cut springs. It's cheaper, easier and safer to heat than cut. I can't tell you to save up and buy springs if you want to "do it right" because I wouldn't do it. I'll take my propane torch over a set of dropped springs all day. Later, QD.

cactusEG
08-19-2010, 09:44 AM
What the easier way to go by doing so?

Dont cheap !

oneSLOWex
08-19-2010, 09:54 AM
What kind of car are you doing this on?

Sammich
08-19-2010, 09:59 AM
use a hacksaw

BABY J
08-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Dropped springs > heated springs > cut springs

end of that discussion.

Coilovers ONLY are in the discussion bc they are adjustable, no tbc they ride so awesome. In a perfect world though, some proper lowered springs with the right shock will ride better than anything you can put on your car other than airride.

Heated springs win over cut springs on any day, but still don't ride as well as some decent lowering springs and shocks.

DO NOT cut your springs - hell even cheap springs will ride better and are much less work. Cut - install - ride around to let them settle - measure, then do it ALL again. To get it perfect you will have to repeat this process 5 - 10 times. Not worth it, ESPECIALLY since you can get NEW cheap(er) springs on eBay for cheap, and can even get NICE lowering springs used on CL / eBay for cheap as well.

ftp
08-24-2010, 10:37 PM
cut em with a zizz wheel. opinions on this is like a asshole...everyone has one. All i can say is I have cut springs on my 4000lb pickup with a iron headed big block and its the shop truck so hauling motorcycles, engines, and pulling car trailers have been the norm for 5 years and i have not had a single problem. I aligned the truck in 20 minutes 5 years ago and its been great since

j0nbunklah0m
08-25-2010, 03:29 AM
^ i can agree with this. 2 friends cut their springs and it rode n looked great.

Echonova
08-25-2010, 05:32 AM
My opinion on this matter is the right one.

SPOOLIN
08-25-2010, 12:49 PM
baby j you think heated is better than cut? lol

BABY J
08-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Yes - bc heated springs do not drop out of the perch at the top if you ever catch a little air. They stay seated. I guess every1 has their opinion on it --- I just know what has worked for me in the past. Lowering springs are too cheap to be cutting OR heating... unless it's for an application that has zero aftermarket support.

SPOOLIN
08-25-2010, 03:59 PM
every heated spring ive seen looked like jumbled up melted metal on a stick lol

BABY J
08-25-2010, 04:55 PM
^ LOL - amateurs.

quickdodgeŽ
08-26-2010, 04:44 AM
every heated spring ive seen looked like jumbled up melted metal on a stick lol

That's exactly how they look. They aren't pretty, but a nice, smooth ride on ugly springs is better than a choppy ride on decent looking ones. Later, QD.

CRXdelsol
08-26-2010, 01:19 PM
I cut the springs on my integra n doesn't bounce at all n rides smooth

Sneezin
08-26-2010, 09:20 PM
we cut the springs on the sol and slammed it in the dirt....it rode just like any other lowered car to me...but just like ole buddy said this topic is like butt holes...everyone got one and to someone else it probably stinks!!!!

quickdodgeŽ
08-27-2010, 05:14 AM
I cut the springs on my integra n doesn't bounce at all n rides smooth

Yeah, but how low?

we cut the springs on the sol and slammed it in the dirt....it rode just like any other lowered car to me..

Sure thing. Later, QD.

CRXdelsol
08-27-2010, 08:21 AM
[QUOTE=quickdodgeŽ;39109186]Yeah, but how low?
Check out the signature really low....

CRXdelsol
08-27-2010, 08:24 AM
But yeah it depends on the way u cut them....b.c my friend cut the springs on his car and it lookd like a lowrider bouncing everysecond lol

sirkus
09-04-2010, 10:36 PM
I am riding around in a del sol with cut springs (got the car that way). It rides like ass. It's about 3" off the ground and it bounces so bad it will bottom out over bridges. It feels like it's about to punch you off the road when it hits the bottom. I had a buddy (in 2001) cut a 92 hatches springs too far and you couldn't drive it. Looked cool.. but it wouldn't make it over a speed bump. With as cheap as you can get a set from e-bay.. I don't see the point in cutting them anymore. More of a hassle really.

My first mod on the del slow will be getting a set of real coilovers or springs and new shocks.

Bacon
09-06-2010, 01:07 AM
Just do it right the first time....get a good set of springs and shocks/struts to match....something like a Skunk2 combo.

quickdodgeŽ
09-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Just do it right the first time

Doesn't really make sense. If you know what you're doing, then there are several "do it right" options available. Later, QD.

Dylan
09-28-2010, 10:36 AM
i have a friend who is riding a 4dr civic with cut springs, its low as shit and rides pretty damn well.and he had a civic before that with cut springs and it was the shittiest ride i've ever felt.and i've also had ebay coil sleeves.they are either going to ride super stiff or bounce you to mars.and as for my current car i recently purchased skunk2 lowering springs and they ride great and the stance is perfect.they are slightly bouncy at rr tracks but overall a great ride and they cost me less than $200.its your decision with what u ride on.you can play the cheap game and it be like a box of chocolates or you can spend a little cash and know what you're going to get.

quickdodgeŽ
10-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Going to be setting the Civic down about another 1 1/2" in the morning. Later, QD.

allmotorEJ8
10-09-2010, 11:40 PM
I need to heat mine in the rear a little more. This was my first time torching them, and I didn't want to go too far with them.

1moreaccord
10-28-2010, 02:53 PM
:no:
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz153/1moreaccord88/2.jpg
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz153/1moreaccord88/3.jpg

quickdodgeŽ
10-28-2010, 07:48 PM
^^^ They may not look good, but they sure do the trick. Later, QD.

uho
10-28-2010, 10:15 PM
jus save up for adjustable coilovers its the best way bc it will ride better n easier to do

quickdodgeŽ
10-28-2010, 10:30 PM
jus save up for adjustable coilovers its the best way bc it will ride better n easier to do

Lolol. Later, QD.

1moreaccord
11-03-2010, 08:16 AM
^^^ They may not look good, but they sure do the trick. Later, QD.

Of that, there is no doubt. Doesn't get much cheaper than f-r-e-e!