PDA

View Full Version : clutch pedal sinking to the floor

Go_Fast
08-15-2010, 11:22 AM
the car is a '95 acura integra gsr. today i went to start the car a it started kinda funny (usually its starts quickly and strong, this time in kind of staggered, as if it wasn't turning over) i turned the key a little harder and i cut right on sounding like normal. i start driving and i notice when i tried to put it in second it was jerking alot as if it was about to stall (im thinking to myself, maybe im just not timing the clutch and gas right) its never been a problem so i gave the car the benefit of the doubt and blamed the choppy response on myself. i engaged the clutch again and it had barely any pressure (engaging the clutch 80% before feeling any kind of pressure at all) and it wouldnt go into any gear so i pull over to a shoulder, pull the e-brake up, and try to put in first again (trying a fresh start). it doesnt go into gear. i cut the car off, wait a couple minutes and try it again. still barely any clutch pressure at all at this time i mangaged to get it in first. luckily i was only about a mile from my house because i couldn't get it out of first and still can't. i pulled it in my driveway, popped the hood and didnt see anything abnormal. the master cylinders (yes two cylinders, i dont know why thats how i got it) both have fluid in them. since i bought the car about a month ago ive had to pump the brakes but im new to cars and didnt think anything of it, but i now know theirs a cylinder problem. the cars been driving perfectly fine every day until this morning.

any ideas on what the problem might be? all of a sudden i go to drive and the clutch completely gives out? any suggestions or ideas would be great. like i said i dont know much about cars so i don't need anyone calling me a dumbass for posting this.

btw the car has about 60,000miles on it, about 4500 on new built motor (if that might matter).

Chuki 240
08-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Hey, it's Bryan, I came over earlier. I called a friend of mine about it and he said it sounded like something was wrong with either the slave cylinder or the clutch fluid line coming from the M/C. Follow the 3/4 inch hosing from the bottom of the M/C until it splits at a T. then find where both lines go into the firewall, check those for any cracks or wear. Then find them on the slave cylinder and follow them out, hopefully one is leaking and your just not keeping pressure. If not then your slave cylinder may have an internal problem and would need replaced. GL with it man.

Go_Fast
08-15-2010, 07:20 PM
thanks for the help i appreciate you comin over today.

CaTcH22
08-15-2010, 08:35 PM
It sounds like an actual clutch problem. More than likely something happened to the pressure plate. You can try to bleed the clutch, but if it returns to the top everytime you pump then theres probably no air in the system. If I had to guess, its a pressure plate or clutch problem.

Go_Fast
08-16-2010, 03:01 PM
It sounds like an actual clutch problem. More than likely something happened to the pressure plate. You can try to bleed the clutch, but if it returns to the top everytime you pump then theres probably no air in the system. If I had to guess, its a pressure plate or clutch problem.

i've been told to bleed the clutch but im not sure exactly where the line is so havent touched it. the pedal isnt coming back up when i step on it anymore. i have a stage 2 clutch that has 60,000 miles max on it. if it is the pressure plate, what would cause it to fail all of a sudden?

joshk5145
08-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Usually the salve cylinder is facing towards you on the trans. and has a bleeder valve just like your brakes. You bleed it pretty much the same way you bleed your brakes. You can also just get someone to press the clutch pedal and watch the slave and watch how far it engages.

CaTcH22
08-16-2010, 06:25 PM
If the pedal is staying down then you have air in it or a bad master cylinder or slave cylinder.

Go_Fast
08-16-2010, 06:47 PM
thanks for the help guys but i still cant figure out where to bleed it. :thinking:

joshk5145
08-16-2010, 06:57 PM
this might help

Go_Fast
08-16-2010, 07:08 PM
this is a pic i took of my engine a whille back

http://i33.tinypic.com/2ce.png

(just posting because i still dont see a line like that)

Go_Fast
08-16-2010, 07:10 PM
would it be connected to the turbo? thats the only thing that seems relatively close

joshk5145
08-16-2010, 07:30 PM
No it wouldn't be connected to the turbo but it shouldn't be too far from it. If you can you could try following the line from your master cylinder to your slave cyl. Or look under your lower radiator hose. Should be right in that area

Go_Fast
08-16-2010, 08:50 PM
thanks for the help

joshk5145
08-16-2010, 09:37 PM
No prob. So you got it fixed?

Go_Fast
08-16-2010, 10:03 PM
no, the pic you posted was helpful, and i've noticed that line, but i'm almost positive there's no valve on the line.i've kinda given up because i cant afford to make a mistake and fix more stuff so i'm just gonna have a friend that knows what there doing do it.

psycho_freke
08-17-2010, 04:53 PM
All GSR's have hydro clutch, which means you most definitely have that slave cylinder with the bleeder valve on it. So many things could be wrong. When I had this problem my slave (part in Josh's pic that the arrow is pointing to) was actually leaking fluid! Double check your clutch master cylinder (close to the brake master cylindar) and make sure you have plenty of fluid. Try bleeding as mentioned about (this is a simple gravity bleed and doesn't take long. Probably need new fluid in there by now anyway. Just plain DOT3 brake fluid). if none of the above work, I would check out that master cylindar. I know someone mentioned. I know QWK D16 mentioned the pressure plate, but since you're getting no pedal I don't think this is the place to start...

IDK if this helps you with locating it or not, but the slave cylindar is what pushes the arm on the throwout bearing.

@ joshk5145 I didn't know there was a dust boot for the slave cylinder/trans opening there lol!

joshk5145
08-17-2010, 07:47 PM
lol Me either man. I just googled that pic.

Go_Fast
08-18-2010, 05:00 PM
the pic josh posted was helpful but this is what my engine looks like in that area

http://i33.tinypic.com/28qvx1e.png
i'm pretty sure there's no valve

joshk5145
08-18-2010, 07:44 PM
It looks like your turbo is covering up the valve in the pic. It's gotta be there or either someone put a screw or something in its place but i do see the slave cyl.

Hondatwin23
08-18-2010, 09:25 PM
be prepared to change both out, one usually follows the other in taking a crap

Go_Fast
08-20-2010, 11:40 AM
i finally got to jack up both side of the front so i could get a bottom view

http://i37.tinypic.com/xlxo8z.png

http://i37.tinypic.com/2u7abgz.png

its a pretty tight fit as you can see from these picks and the one i posted before. thanks for the help finding it.

joshk5145
08-20-2010, 06:13 PM
No problem man. Hope you get it squared away. Wish I had a Boosted GSR. lol

Go_Fast
08-20-2010, 08:21 PM
No problem man. Hope you get it squared away. Wish I had a Boosted GSR. lol

haha thanks again.