PDA

View Full Version : Fc N/A turboing ?'s

rmeyer114
08-10-2010, 12:26 AM
alright..so what do i gotta do to turbo this bad boy?!

94_teg_ls
08-10-2010, 12:34 AM
swap rotors manifold and what counter weight and flywheel to match the series of rotors

yomomspimp06
08-10-2010, 12:44 AM
swap rotors manifold and what counter weight and flywheel to match the series of rotors
please don't listen to this guy.
If you're going to do it do it right. I mean there are minor shortcuts but basically look for a donor car. Then swap everything over.

short cut time:
if not, get a T2 engine that matches the same series as what is in your car. Get the BPS and ECu. Swap your N/A flywheel and counterweight onto the T2 engine. Get a stage3 or better N/A clutch. This allows you to still use the N/A tranny. You'll have to maybe extend the TPS wire on your stock N/A harness and cut pin 1R I believe. I can't remember exactly. It's fairly straight forward and can be done in a day with all the parts readily available.

94_teg_ls
08-10-2010, 12:51 AM
turboing a na is a very stupid idea i think he knows to swap a ecu fuel pump maf sensor thats basic if he wants to use hes existing housing and irons he will need to do as i listed

Boosted FC
08-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Lot of reading.....http://www.aaroncake.net/rx-7/naturbo.htm

AnthonyF
08-10-2010, 07:30 AM
Buy a FC that is OEM Boosted and go from there.

-Ant.

kain
08-10-2010, 08:10 AM
misinformation abound.

do you know how to weld?

take your budget for turbocharging the engine, and write that down.
now double that. now take 1/3rd of that price, and add that to the total. thats your true budget as you will far surpass your total.

you can turbo the NA FC. however i would NOT do it to adams old tired engine that you purchased off him.
that is rule number one. always start with a fresh engine when you go turbo.
rule number two, dont skimp or cut corners. you need a proper ecu. i reccomend a Sprint RE from haltech. this thing is very cheap, and does everything you need it to do.
2nd step. fuel. get some bigger injectors. start off with 550cc and work your way up in the combination. i currently run 550cc primaries and 1600cc seccondaries. then upgrade the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator.

you are pretty much done at this point.

rmeyer114
08-10-2010, 10:28 AM
misinformation abound.

do you know how to weld?

take your budget for turbocharging the engine, and write that down.
now double that. now take 1/3rd of that price, and add that to the total. thats your true budget as you will far surpass your total.

you can turbo the NA FC. however i would NOT do it to adams old tired engine that you purchased off him.
that is rule number one. always start with a fresh engine when you go turbo.
rule number two, dont skimp or cut corners. you need a proper ecu. i reccomend a Sprint RE from haltech. this thing is very cheap, and does everything you need it to do.
2nd step. fuel. get some bigger injectors. start off with 550cc and work your way up in the combination. i currently run 550cc primaries and 1600cc seccondaries. then upgrade the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator.

you are pretty much done at this point.

i dont know how to weld but a very close brother inlaw is a welder.. and thanks for the info man i was lookin at prices on a t2 motor and ecu if thatd be probably easier on the wallet and time and headache

yomomspimp06
08-10-2010, 10:48 AM
i was lookin at prices on a t2 motor and ecu if thatd be probably easier on the wallet and time and headache
glad to hear it.
Get something and rebuild it. These japspec motors are 90% of the time crap. The only guy selling good Jspec motors is Japan2LA on rx7club. The pricing is pretty decent too! If you need something to rebuild though, I have a longblock minus injectors and turbo I'll let go for cheap. $150 and you can rebuild it at your leisure. lost compression on the rear rotor. was bumping 95 on the front rotor though. It was a sad day when this happened. Anyways if you are interested let me know.

kain
08-10-2010, 11:44 AM
i dont know how to weld but a very close brother inlaw is a welder.. and thanks for the info man i was lookin at prices on a t2 motor and ecu if thatd be probably easier on the wallet and time and headache

dont buy a used engine. build an engine from pieces.

get t2 irons, and get some new t2 rotor housings. then slap it all togeather.

rmeyer114
08-10-2010, 05:21 PM
so buy blown motor rebuild it from scratch so i know whats goin on with it then ? ... would it matter if it was t2 or n/a ? and wheres a good place to get a rebuild kit for good price?

kain
08-10-2010, 09:23 PM
well as i mentioned, get a job and save up the money first. a rebuild will cost 1600+

rmeyer114
08-10-2010, 09:52 PM
yeah thats what i was plannin on doin...money makes the world go round...also makes project cars go around too haha

yomomspimp06
08-10-2010, 10:49 PM
still got that longblock layin around so just let me know when you get ready for it

yomomspimp06
08-10-2010, 10:50 PM
stick with kain tho when it comes to advice. Some stuff he's a little unorthodox but it's for the sake of reliability in most cases. Going the extra mile at the beginning makes for less headaches in the long run

kain
08-11-2010, 10:32 AM
a lil unorthodox? lol. whatcha mean by that?

Boosted FC
08-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Hahahaha

rmeyer114
08-11-2010, 12:14 PM
yeah kain definatley seems like he knows what hes talking about, and knows about my specific car as well

rmeyer114
08-11-2010, 12:15 PM
still got that longblock layin around so just let me know when you get ready for it

150 for the long block?

94_teg_ls
08-11-2010, 12:17 PM
i still got my turbo 2 ecu and maf

rmeyer114
08-11-2010, 12:21 PM
how much

94_teg_ls
08-11-2010, 12:46 PM
i dont know cheap pm me i drive first gens :p

yomomspimp06
08-11-2010, 07:36 PM
a lil unorthodox? lol. whatcha mean by that?
well, I can't exactly elaborate on this but I'm sure those who know you think the same. I just know the internet you lol

150 for the long block?
yup, minus turbo and injectors. I gave the stock 550 injectors to a fellow mirager and sold the turbo. I do have a pair of 720s laying around though.

i still got my turbo 2 ecu and maf
Damn dude you've basically got your swap ready minus the BPS.

like I said before if you wanna just use the N/A tranny get a stronger clutch and you're set.

kain
08-11-2010, 10:06 PM
well, I can't exactly elaborate on this but I'm sure those who know you think the same. I just know the internet you lol

damn. i was wondering to. what a lame response.

dude. like i said. save up the money for the turbo swap like i mentioned. then you can start asking questions. untill then, fix up the car, and drive it till the engine falls apart.

Boosted FC
08-12-2010, 07:11 AM
well, I can't exactly elaborate on this but I'm sure those who know you think the same. I just know the internet

lol, don't judge Pete. He is an awesome guy & always willing to help anyone out. If you think how he is on this Forum, that he is the same way in person, you are totally wrong.

kain
08-12-2010, 09:18 AM
im pretty much the same personality online and offline sheldon. you royally got that one wrong.

just kidding sheldon.

anyways, here is my take on things as to why some people think i am weird. i am unorthodox in how i do things and how i try to make power/or how i go about getting things done on my car.

a lot of times, the shit i think about doing of the shit i do on my car people look at me and say "wtf? are you trying to break your shit?", to which i reply heck no. just doing the normal shit that isnt done normally.

like running no BOV and knowing the turbo aint gonna take a shit on itself. putting 800cc worth of water smack bang into the same turbo and runing only 87 octane. and funny thing is, i wanna still make 300+ wheel HP on the stock top mount. modified a little bit of course.

also, i have a hard time controlling boost, so i have a funky idea to have a boost relief valve on the intake side of things to limit boost pressure, and not on the exhaust side and control the waste gate. just wire it shut, and implement a radiator cap of some sort on the intake so that once a certain psi is reached, blamo, it vents.

thats the kinda thinking that gets my ass in trouble. lol.

yomomspimp06
08-12-2010, 09:37 AM
like running no BOV and knowing the turbo aint gonna take a shit on itself. putting 800cc worth of water smack bang into the same turbo and runing only 87 octane. and funny thing is, i wanna still make 300+ wheel HP on the stock top mount. modified a little bit of course.
This is what I'm talking about. We talked about this briefly in another thread...I was thinking WTF? let's see it happen.

also, i have a hard time controlling boost, so i have a funky idea to have a boost relief valve on the intake side of things to limit boost pressure, and not on the exhaust side and control the waste gate. just wire it shut, and implement a radiator cap of some sort on the intake so that once a certain psi is reached, blamo, it vents.

I had no idea about this part. Thinking outside the box=unorthodox I suppose. Ingenuity is a blessing not a handicap.

lol, don't judge Pete. He is an awesome guy & always willing to help anyone out. If you think how he is on this Forum, that he is the same way in person, you are totally wrong.
Judging? no just making observations. I never said anything bad or meant what I stated to be rude.

Boosted FC
08-12-2010, 09:42 AM
So, when can we get a Meet going people?

kain
08-12-2010, 10:09 AM
when do you want the meet to happen sheldon? on the weekend?

kain
08-12-2010, 10:11 AM
the main problem with the stock top mount is not heat soaking. thats not that big of a problem. the main problem is the outlet of the inter cooler and the inlet to the TB. not well designed at all.

Boosted FC
08-12-2010, 11:18 AM
when do you want the meet to happen sheldon? on the weekend?

Weekends work for me

kain
08-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Weekends work for me

ok, where at? cus i aint driving to fucking dallas. lol. how bout mellow mushroom in brookhaven?

Boosted FC
08-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Too far for me & prob too close for you.....lol

Dave & Busters off 75 in Marietta?

rmeyer114
08-12-2010, 05:28 PM
how bout a downtown meet!?

kain
08-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Too far for me & prob too close for you.....lol

Dave & Busters off 75 in Marietta?

some place a little more low key man.

Machado
08-23-2010, 09:18 PM
I would be interested in a meet.

rmeyer114- I have a blow thru turbo set up if your interested.

kain
08-23-2010, 10:17 PM
get out of here with the carb talk. we all know you guys think the earth is round and all that shit. bull. we know damn well its flat.

rmeyer114
08-25-2010, 08:39 PM
get out of here with the carb talk. we all know you guys think the earth is round and all that shit. bull. we know damn well its flat.

lol

kain
08-30-2010, 01:54 PM
lol. its true.

rmeyer114
09-01-2010, 09:31 AM
...sooo a buddy of mines rx7 bit the dust this weekend and its costin out the ass to get it rebuilt and bridgeported so maybe i should start almost like a college fund but for my car blowin up fund? lol and go ahead and slowly start aquiring shit id need for a t2 swap and then have the motor rebuilt on that one so when this one goes just swap it in ?

kain
09-01-2010, 01:04 PM
That is EXACTLY what i have done. i have calculated the cost to be around 1600 bucks for a full on rebuild while still skimming on parts that don't usually break, so ill be good. once you have porting work done, that drives up the cost and getting it put together by someone drives up the cost.

so in answer to your question, go ahead and save up money to buy a nice t2 keg that is freshly rebuilt. acquire the parts needed, and once that engine of yours pops, throw this new one in.

rmeyer114
09-01-2010, 07:50 PM
well my next question is should i go t2 or n/a ? like whats gonna have the longest lasting effect on the motor porting or turboing?

kain
09-01-2010, 11:47 PM
think of it this way. The amount of power being output from the engine has a direct result in the longevity of it.

250 horse power in a turbo car will have about the same longevity as a 250 horse power non turbo car. with the engines both being the same as the amount of stress will be about equal. the best thing to think about is

cooling

the more power output, the more power is wasted creating heat. this heat must be removed via the cooling system. normally its preferable to get an upgraded radiator as this will not reduce temp any as that is the thermostats job, but instead create a bigger buffer. temps drop faster and dont rise as quickly.

HillClimbGuy
09-21-2010, 10:57 PM
...sooo a buddy of mines rx7 bit the dust this weekend and its costin out the ass to get it rebuilt and bridgeported so maybe i should start almost like a college fund but for my car blowin up fund? lol and go ahead and slowly start aquiring shit id need for a t2 swap and then have the motor rebuilt on that one so when this one goes just swap it in ?

SSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
man dont tell every body man lol lol lol lol
oh well i will be hopefully brap brapping away tommorrow

kain
09-22-2010, 09:40 PM
oh yah? videos NOG!!

rmeyer114
09-23-2010, 09:54 PM
chris you found my 7 threads lol .. they're my legacy on IA haha jk

HillClimbGuy
09-24-2010, 12:13 PM
lol lol lol i will post vids soon

rmeyer114
09-24-2010, 09:09 PM
bet..lookin forward to seein them soon man

RemoteX-7
09-30-2010, 01:55 AM
FB > FC =P

and porting over turbo!

kain
09-30-2010, 11:50 AM
FB > FC =P

and porting over turbo!

both of these statements couldnt be farther from the truth.

unless you are talking 20b.

rmeyer114
11-11-2010, 01:34 PM
chea...