PDA

View Full Version : Misc Top Gear USA trailer

oneSLOWex
08-07-2010, 08:38 AM
http://jalopnik.com/5606884/top-gear-usa-the-first-trailer
:screwy:

cjhutch
08-07-2010, 09:46 AM
I really want to like this show, but from the trailer it looks a little boring. For a Moonshine run they drove a beat up Cadillac through a dirt field? UK Top Gear would have made a road trip out of that making them only take back roads and carrying cases of hard liquor to determine who made it to the point fastest without breaking all the cargo. I guess if I didn't watch the original Top Gear I would like it, but I'm spoiled on the high production quality.

oneSLOWex
08-07-2010, 09:51 AM
I really want to like this show, but from the trailer it looks a little boring. For a Moonshine run they drove a beat up Cadillac through a dirt field? UK Top Gear would have made a road trip out of that making them only take back roads and carrying cases of hard liquor to determine who made it to the point fastest without breaking all the cargo. I guess if I didn't watch the original Top Gear I would like it, but I'm spoiled on the high production quality.

Ill make a full judgement after I see the first episode....but I agree....the real show would have done something much different. That looked more like a torn up MX track with the jumps and shit than anything else.

oneSLOWex
08-07-2010, 09:52 AM
cool double post

RutRoe
08-12-2010, 06:26 AM

You my friend sound like you think like a tv producer :) I bet if you watch the show when it airs, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

And just so you guys know, that was made for a room full of TV critics to educate them on it. It was not made as a true trailer for real car guys like us...it's just a little sneak peak of a few things.

The show has been crazy to make so far so hopefully once it actually airs, then we can have some fun discussions about it. Thanks!

Glides
08-12-2010, 12:15 PM
You guys have to also think, America VS Britain. Laws are RADICALLY different. What you can get away with and not get sued is a MUCH smaller window here in America.

Case in point, the show "Wipeout" was not filmed in the US, it was filmed in South America simply because they didn't want to get sued.

I still want to get you all out to the Stunt School Rut, if we can nail logistics down i'll get you all set on fire, we'll jump off some houses, blow some shit up, fire some guns and drag y ou all around with the four wheeler. :)

Okie_doke.
08-12-2010, 03:55 PM
When and where is this taking place? I guess I'ma have to check it out

Nissan Sean
08-12-2010, 04:07 PM
looks surprisingly good. too bad Adam Carolla isnt in the show. Rutroe what happened to Adam?

RutRoe
08-12-2010, 09:37 PM
I don't know actually...he was out before I was ever a part of it. He seems like a good dude, but I've never met him or spoken to him. It's actually a really fun group and I think people are going to enjoy it.

The show will be on the History Channel. I think it's going to be sometime in late November or early December, but I'm not toally sure on that. Thanks!

Browning151
08-12-2010, 10:03 PM
And just so you guys know, that was made for a room full of TV critics to educate them on it. It was not made as a true trailer for real car guys like us...it's just a little sneak peak of a few things.

I really hope so, it looks like it has a chance to be good, but the trailer wasn't hugely impressive. I will be watching, hoping the chemistry and the flow of the show is better than that little preview we got.

cjhutch
08-12-2010, 10:44 PM
You my friend sound like you think like a tv producer :) I bet if you watch the show when it airs, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

The show has been crazy to make so far so hopefully once it actually airs, then we can have some fun discussions about it. Thanks!

Like I said, I want to like the show and I hope it's a huge success. The problem with them releasing that trailer is that it made it's way onto every automotive blog and forum where there are tons of car guys. You have to admit, my version would have been much cooler. No GPS could be used either, just a map bought from a gas station or something.

RutRoe
09-10-2010, 09:45 PM
So have you guys seen the actual trailer yet ? Not the "released for TV critics footage" ? It's pretty bad ass....

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/awesome-preview-footage-from-top-gear-us-show-features-lambos

RutRoe
09-10-2010, 09:46 PM
So have you guys seen the actual trailer yet ? Not the "released for TV critics footage" ? It's pretty bad ass....

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/awesome-preview-footage-from-top-gear-us-show-features-lambos

Echonova
09-10-2010, 10:48 PM
That's awesome!!!

Apparently you thought it was so nice you had to post it twice.

RutRoe
09-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Hahaha...damn airport wireless ! You're so funny.

Elbow
09-11-2010, 07:08 AM
I really don't like the way it looks, sorry. I'm interested to see how it does because in polls and forums talking about it's not looking to good.

I'll add a little, no disrespect.

Top Gear (the UK one) isn't even a "car guy" show. That's one issue with this one. The other is half the world has seen Top Gear and think you all are copying the real one. Three guys, in the trailer (aimed at whoever) are trying to be funny, doing challenges, cheesy lines, etc. It just doesn't flow right. I won't say IT WILL SUCK because I'll watch an episode first, but from what everyone has seen it looks like the show is just trying to copy Top Gear UK. Although I don't know the point in that since everyone watches that show and lives by it, what would Top Gear USA benefit from that?

RutRoe
09-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Well I'm honestly not sure why you say you don't like how it looks. Why? Because the same people that make the UK show are making this one. You could make the point that it's not overcast and rainy here as much as it is there, making ours appear sunshine laden, and I can accept that.

I appreciate your disclaimer of no disrespect. Knowing your posts on here, you didn't have to do that, and I do appreciate you saying that.

I think people are judging a show that they honestly have no idea about. People are welcome to ask me stuff and I'll answer anything I can, but it's actually really funny to read some of the forums and see the crap people are making up.

We aren't trying to replicate the show in characters. We are using the same formula they have in visual effects, content, and a 3 dude format. The best part is that since the show is on cable, it solves the problem that everybody thinks we have, which we don't, which is being honest about what we think. We have a few bullet points on the car that we all work on and come up with, and then the rest of it is purely what we think. We've done some really cool challenges and played with some rad cars.

It's not meant to be a non-stop laugh factory, nor is it meant to a morbid evaluation of the state of the american automobile market. It's meant to be an entertaining show, with three hosts, and some awesome (or awesomely bad) cars.

We are 100% copying the formula that TG UK uses because BBC Worldwide productions is all in on this show. They were not given the kind of control with the NBC pilot that they have with this, and that's been the biggest thing I've heard everyone involved in both say....which sounds to be a hugely good thing.

The reason I think the show makes sense here is we're going to drive cars here that are available here, on roads and road trips here, and we're going to have celebrities with relevance to us and this country. Top Gear UK is still my favorite show on tv and that won't change...I never said to anyone we were trying to make a better show, just one for us.

If anyone's wondering if using a successful formula from British television and wether it's worked before, then I'd simply say yes. The Office, American Idol, America's Got Talent, Dancing with the Stars, etc.

I hope you'll watch it and enjoy it for what it is. The biggest reason I think people are dogging it is because they're in a minority of people in this country that know what Top Gear is and that makes them feel special. If other people know about it, they think it will make the show less enjoyable or not as cool...which I get because we've all been there with bands and things like that.

The one thing I'll say is that I think people will really like it because as a car person, there won't be anything else like this on American television that's made here for us.

Hope that helps explain a little. I still don't know the premier date, but I think it's going to be sometime in November.

Peace,
Rut

AnthonyF
10-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Top Gear USA looks fucking retarded. From the commercials to the trailers. Just looks like douches destroying cars. BBC > USA Top Gear.

-Ant.

RutRoe
10-29-2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks Anthony. I really appreciate your constructive criticism. I hope you'll watch it, partly so that it will prove you wrong, and also I hope you learn to read....that way you can look above and read what I wrote to another forum HATER. We're not saying we made a better Top Gear...we made our own...for this country.

PS. It hasn't aired yet. So keep that in mind. REally fun though to see you're at the same mental level you've always been :)

AnthonyF
10-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Constructive criticism...you got it. They are hired on douches. They have no personality other than to rag the hell out of cars. It's a SPIN OFF. Spin offs NEVER work. They should have called it Car and Driver TV. We here in the US do not get as many makes and models like the UK....so please inform me on how creative they can get? Jeremy and his crew have innovative ideas every episode. Not your avg car tv show, which seems to be all the USA version is. They are reviewing cars that have been reviewed before, they are just ragging them out...How is that entertaining?

Why does the US need their own version when BBC has perfected it? Again, how many spin offs have success?

PS.(<cus we add gay shit like that when I get butthurt) B/c I think the idea of this retarded fucking is just in fact that...makes my mental level low? I bet you like that homo show Scrubs too, don't you? Glad you think all high and mighty of yourself and act like your some big wig on here. No1 gives a fuck about you or this lousy show.

-Ant.

RutRoe
10-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Well, let's see....

The Office. That sure was a successful british show. American Idol. That one's done OK here. Dancing with the Stars...9 seasons so far. Yeah, fair point that some british shows don't do that well.

Also, I don't think we're hired on douches. Primarily since I'm one of the hosts, and I'm certain I'm no douche. You haven't seen the show so you really can't comment on it so matter of factly...

Plus, my only point here is that's it's fine to not like the show once you see it, but you're the only one that sounds like a dick when it hasn't even premiered. OH, and your reputation proceeds you here, so that's the burden that you bare. You show up to shit on stuff and that's fine. I'm not going to think any more of less of you than I ever have..or Simon. I heard Simon's a nice guy...he's just a prick online, and I think it's probably the same way with you.

So...anywho. Watch the show!

LIKEG6
11-04-2010, 01:47 AM
Just saw you on the commercial Rut. I'll be watching the show and its awesome to see a local guy doing stuff like this that would be most car guys dreams.

RutRoe
11-04-2010, 02:24 AM
Thanks for the support man!

DeeAOne
11-04-2010, 03:36 AM
looks like it will be ok..lets not judge a book by its cover..

1moreaccord
11-04-2010, 10:46 AM
i'll def give it a look-see! +1 tho that it will be included on my cable plan whereas BBC America is not FTW lolol..

adodd3
11-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Constructive criticism...you got it. They are hired on douches. They have no personality other than to rag the hell out of cars. It's a SPIN OFF. Spin offs NEVER work. They should have called it Car and Driver TV. We here in the US do not get as many makes and models like the UK....so please inform me on how creative they can get? Jeremy and his crew have innovative ideas every episode. Not your avg car tv show, which seems to be all the USA version is. They are reviewing cars that have been reviewed before, they are just ragging them out...How is that entertaining?

Why does the US need their own version when BBC has perfected it? Again, how many spin offs have success?

PS.(<cus we add gay shit like that when I get butthurt) B/c I think the idea of this retarded fucking is just in fact that...makes my mental level low? I bet you like that homo show Scrubs too, don't you? Glad you think all high and mighty of yourself and act like your some big wig on here. No1 gives a fuck about you or this lousy show.

-Ant.

:lmfao: I couldn't agree more my friend.

I've watched both trailers & both are really disappointing. I mean the actual footage & editing is awesome, it looks just like Top Gear UK. Where I'm lacking interest is the chemistry with the hosts.
I think Tanner & Adam play off each other pretty well but the other dude doesn't fit at all. I don't watch Nascar or anything related so I had no idea who this guy was until I did some research. I've read through these comments & honestly can't understand why he keeps blowing his own horn so much.

I do love automobiles & pretty much anything to do with them...........so I'll stomach a few episodes in hopes that it will be better. I mean no disrespect to this Rutledge character & anyone else on IA. This is just my first impression of the show & the hosts. HOPEFULLY I'm wrong.

AnthonyF
11-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Well, let's see....

The Office. That sure was a successful british show. American Idol. That one's done OK here. Dancing with the Stars...9 seasons so far. Yeah, fair point that some british shows don't do that well.

Also, I don't think we're hired on douches. Primarily since I'm one of the hosts, and I'm certain I'm no douche. You haven't seen the show so you really can't comment on it so matter of factly...

Plus, my only point here is that's it's fine to not like the show once you see it, but you're the only one that sounds like a dick when it hasn't even premiered. OH, and your reputation proceeds you here, so that's the burden that you bare. You show up to shit on stuff and that's fine. I'm not going to think any more of less of you than I ever have..or Simon. I heard Simon's a nice guy...he's just a prick online, and I think it's probably the same way with you.

So...anywho. Watch the show!

yes Rut, you are a douche. You have moved on from IA but you seem to come back on here to get recognition from the younger guys to make yourself out like to be a god. You don't help anyone, you just gloat about how "awesome" you are.

My reputation precedes me? Why are you having conversations about me homo boy? I think you look like a total doofus on that show, you and your misfit friends. The USA TG is just 3 punk kids bashing cars around. You have not been seasoned like TG UK. You do not have the quick whits or proper way of describing a car or its attributes. I show up to shit? The hell does that mean? If you are referring to meets, I do not. I haven't been to ANY IA meet other than the V which doesn't count in the last 3 years. I have better things to do with my life than to see a bunch of cars I out grew many years ago.

No, since you have a life, there is no need to talk about me in your free time. That's pretty homo bro.

-Ant.

AnthonyF
11-09-2010, 07:15 AM
I do love automobiles & pretty much anything to do with them...........so I'll stomach a few episodes in hopes that it will be better. I mean no disrespect to this Rutledge character & anyone else on IA. This is just my first impression of the show & the hosts. HOPEFULLY I'm wrong.
As I will too. I enjoy cars and the beauty of them, but man...if a show is terrible...it's terrible. Some low IQ level people will probably love the hell out of this show and watch it non stop. I for one will probably get pissed at the stupidity and continuous cussing or common used phrases like; "dats bad azz yo!" b/c the creativity in young American white males these days that are into cars is much lower than the seasoned Brits who have excellent ways of describing things. Words you would have never of thought to use.

Anyways, I'm done. Rut, reply if you want. I really don't care. Your just going to put yourself on a pedastool again and try to preach down to me and tell me I am wrong without any actual facts. What you should be doing is wanting my .02¢ after the first show has aired since i'm such a "hater". Constructive criticism is what I do and you will get it. Take care.

-Ant.

RutRoe
11-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Wow man. I guess I was wrong. You seem to be clear that I know nothing about you, and it's clear that you know nothing about me. I'm sorry that your perception of me is that I "came back to have the young kids hype me up" or whatever it is you think. I NEVER LEFT ! I've been a part of IA since before Import South was something you'd never heard of.

I put this up to ask those people who I've been friends with for years on here and people who love cars and Top Gear UK to know that someone from Import Atlanta is a part of the show and that I'd personally really like them to watch.

You can read more into that or come up with whatever you like about me...If you think I've ever thought about you in my free time or even mentioned your name, you're going to be crushed to know I haven't. It's sad that with all your hate, you're actually not very bright. A reputation is something that follows you. You have quite a good one on this site of being a jackass as I previously mentioned. When I said it precedes you, I mean that quite literally when I see your name I immediately think of your reputation, which is not, as I have previously mentioned, a great one.

I'm glad to hear you've helped people. I can certainly respect that. If you ever want to know about the things I've done to help people, feel free to ask me. This isn't that thread, so it doesn't seem pertinent. While you're up on your pedestal telling people how awesome you are and how much of a douche you think I am, I'll still just be down here where I've always been. I'm lucky to get to do the things I've done and I'll always want to share those things with my friends. Clearly, you don't fall into that category, so don't feel like in the future you need to click my links or read what I read.

Sincerely, the guy who never left IA,
Rutledge Wood

PS. Watch Top Gear USA on History starting Sunday Nov. 21 at 10pm EST Thanks !

adodd3
11-09-2010, 08:56 PM
^^^WoW! You're amazing dude.

adodd3
11-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Well I just watched the 1st "epic" episode of TopGear USA.

I was hoping for so much more.

Bigt8aford
11-22-2010, 07:51 AM
I watched the show and was pleased. A Viper tearing through the streets of Griffen being chased by a Cobra attack helicopter is freaking awesome. But a few issues, I'm just not a fan out Tanner; don't get me wrong, the man can drive. But I just don't like his "I've gotta win" attitude that comes off of him. I mean Rut and the other host just kept making fun of him, which I like. However, this show just seems to be lacking something, EXPERIENCE. I know the original Top Gear had been filming long before I even watched my first epsisode. Just listening to that show you hear how those three have been working and driving together for a very long time; something that I hope the American version can have time to obtain. The show has all the nessecary tools needed to build a decent show. I just hope it isn't thrown off my advertisements and people picking favorites.

adodd3
11-22-2010, 10:55 PM
I agree that the actual action & idea was awesome.

Tanner could of done that bit alone & it would've been as exciting, there was absolutely no reason for Rut to ride along. He almost killed the segment with his corny comments.

Him & tanner both said some corny shit that was awful.

I felt very uncomfortable when Adam was talking to Buzz Aldrin, it was almost like he was scared to ask him questions.

I too hope it gets better with time as I will keep watching.......at least for the automobiles anyways.

I honestly don't think the cast can do any better, I kinda wander who all they had in mind before they settled on these guys.