PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Xbox 360 RROD - E74

Drummerboy
08-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Anyone ever tried to fix this error? I've got a pretty good Idea on how to do it, just haven't bought the thermal paste yet to try.

oneSLOWex
08-06-2010, 10:49 AM
http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/ring_of_light_x-clamp_fix.htm

I followed that to the T and have been successful on 2 different 360's so far. I got the repair kits from ebay and spent maybe $8 and came with paste and tools as well as all the screws and washers.

oneSLOWex
08-06-2010, 10:54 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-RedLights-XBOX-360-X-CLAMP-Repair-Kit-RROD-Fix-XCLAMP-/380249250076?pt=Video_Games_Accessories#ht_3900wt_ 911

&

http://cgi.ebay.com/XBOX-360-Repair-Kit-X-Clamp-Fix-Thermal-Compound-Paste-/380249250077?pt=Video_Games_Accessories#ht_4033wt_ 911

(Sorry its a little more than $8 lol) Ive got these exact kits. Dont worry about the cleaners as you can use rubbing alcohol and a q-tip :goodjob:

Drummerboy
08-06-2010, 11:21 AM
It says its for 3 light ROD, I bought mine modded, so the ring doesn't even light up. I've heard e74 couuld be a couple things. Will the kit fix it, regardless?

oneSLOWex
08-06-2010, 11:24 AM
It says its for 3 light ROD, I bought mine modded, so the ring doesn't even light up. I've heard e74 couuld be a couple things. Will the kit fix it, regardless?

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=484726

E74: I/O Hardware Error - HSIO related, could be crc error, or many things: There is high chance it's a scaler chip problem (the "ANA" or "HANA" chip near the AV cable connection) it can also be caused by a faulty AV cable so check that first. Microsoft covers this error under their 3-year warranty, this is availble to anyone who hasn't modified their console. contact MS to get a free replacement console before attempting to fix this yourself. Failing that this error In some cases it is a problem with the GPU and may be repairable by doing the x-clamp replacement (see error 0102)

Those kits could fix it. Its a cheap fix so if it doesn't work you didnt lose much money.

Drummerboy
08-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Sounds good. I figure While I have it apart I'll do a few preventitive mods. I bought the X clamp repair (complete, just to be safe), Intercooler, chip heat sinks, and thinking about putting together my own liquid cooling system.

...Now I just need controllers and games, haha. But not bad seeing as I bought the xbox for $27.

oneSLOWex
08-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Sounds good. I figure While I have it apart I'll do a few preventitive mods. I bought the X clamp repair (complete, just to be safe), Intercooler, chip heat sinks, and thinking about putting together my own liquid cooling system.

...Now I just need controllers and games, haha. But not bad seeing as I bought the xbox for $27.

Sounds like a good idea man. Im not doing any custom stuff to either of mine except flashing and a chrome controller with blue led buttons that I have lol

Drummerboy
08-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Haha, cool. The one I bought came with a painted black case, 1 side of it has the "monster" Energy drink symbol in the side of it and it says Monster underneath. It has 6 red leds inside hooked to a toggle switch on the case. Its pretty cool, Just gotta get it running now.

AJ Perry
08-07-2010, 01:53 AM
There's always the towel trick.

Also, disconnecting everything but the power cord and leaving it running for 24 hours should fix it.

And the thermal compound/paste thing.

Drummerboy
08-18-2010, 10:48 PM
I had to do a combo of the 2 methods. Did the thermal paste, new bolts and washers. I tried it before putting it back in the case, worked first time. Repainted the case, put it all back together, try it again, E74...

Figured, what do I have to lose? Right now I've just got a cool paper weight. So I did the towel trick, and it worked! I'm thinking it has something to do with heating up the thermal paste really good to get good heat transfer.

Either way, I've got a $40 Xbox 360! Now I just need a controller and games.