PDA

View Full Version : friend wantin to buy a 1st gen eclipse

rmeyer114
07-30-2010, 11:40 PM
my friends looking to buy a 1st gen eclipse gs this weekend is there anything he should look for in particular prior to buying this car hes had bad luck with buying cars so i wanna make sure he gets a good reliable car this time any help would be great thanks :goodjob:

-EnVus-
07-30-2010, 11:41 PM
my friends looking to buy a 1st gen eclipse gs this weekend is there anything he should look for in particular prior to buying this car hes had bad luck with buying cars so i wanna make sure he gets a good reliable car this time any help would be great thanks :goodjob:

Unless he knows a lot about DSM's don't let him get one they are junk

dohc4.6sc
08-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Unless he knows a lot about DSM's don't let him get one they are junk

not true. the 4g63's are awesome engines. especially since its only a gs so its non turbo and will be reliable. do you know how many miles are on it? if it has high milage there will most likely be a lifter tick as most 4g63's have but its really nothing to worry about. and if its not the 4g then its a 1.8 which is even more reliable. so i would say if its a good price tell your buddy to go for it.

driftORdrag
08-07-2010, 01:48 AM
Tell him to get a '92 or earlier eclipse because those were the ones with the 6-bolt 4G63 which are less prone to crankwalk than 7-bolt engines. 4G63 engines are very potent but at the same time extremely fragile like any other motor they are only as reliable as they are maintained.

Tell your buddy before he tries to make it go fast to spend money on preventative maintenance because it isn't unheard of for a timing belt to snap before 70K miles when you're talking DSMs.

00 blk G20t
08-07-2010, 09:36 AM
i remember back in like 95 i was banging this girl i met at a party and her 95 eclipse and the host of the partys 92 eclipse BOTH got stolen in the same night.....just had too many people at the party that were not in our click of friends....keys went missing and unnoticed....both cars were found wrecked.

i always kinda liked the NA 92 blue one that got stolen...the 95 was just a stock gray one...nothing really special other than it was new at the time. the blue one on the other hand had lots of possibility's.

Drummerboy
08-07-2010, 11:00 AM
^ great story. you should tell it at parties.

rmeyer114
08-08-2010, 02:05 PM
well he ended up getting a 92 first gen...hes stoked...its a gs its not really bAd needs front brakes but other than that everythings been maintained and hes plannin on changin the timing belt this coming week the last clipse he had was a 96 and had it for 3 weeks guy said timing belt had been changed ..wrong...fucked the whole car up ended up giving it away for 500 bucks..so hes like fuck that ill change the timing belt on this one lol