PDA

View Full Version : anyone know the ins and outs of auto insurance

HiPSI
11-10-2005, 02:15 PM
so i finally got a hold of my estimate from state farm, and they want to total the car :(. they estimated $2776 for a fender, bumper, bumper supports, headlight covers and a few other random parts, which is utterly fucking ridiculous. i can kit the whole car, put on fiberglass fenders, and have it all painted for less than that (not to mention the intercooler they won't cover because they are teh gay). i tried negotiating with the claims handler, but she said she can't cut me a check without totaling the car or getting an estimate from a shop that shows a bit less than the total value of the car.

the itemized stuff is ridiculous, for example the headlight covers/bumper supports and "front bumper emblem" total up to $427.81 on their estimate not including labor.... i will be handling labor myself up the painting stage, and these parts they totaled up to $427 i got for $20 yesterday at pull-a-part :rolleyes:. do i have any kind of recourse other than getting a shop to write up an estimate for me and waiting some more?

so far i have a total of $290 into repairing the car and all i have left to do is get fenders/bumper and have it painted. that's including replacing the intercooler and couplings and getting the headlights/bumper reinforcement/headlight supports and all other hardware other than the actual bodywork pieces.

A.P. Photography
11-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Might have to get a shop to write you up an estimate.

B16a2 Civic
11-10-2005, 02:31 PM
if only you said medical insurance :(

to be honest, sounds like they are tryna feed you bullshit, just keep arguing ( unless you take legal recourse

have you talked your insurance company to get advice on this situation?

HiPSI
11-10-2005, 03:17 PM
went ahead and told them to toal it... basically they total it i get a check for $2500, buy another clean titled shell for $300 and swap over and have $2200 to work with ;). it's a lot of work, but worth it IMO compared to running around shop to shop trying to get just the right estimate.

B16a2 Civic
11-10-2005, 03:19 PM
went ahead and told them to toal it... basically they total it i get a check for $2500, buy another clean titled shell for $300 and swap over and have $2200 to work with ;). it's a lot of work, but worth it IMO compared to running around shop to shop trying to get just the right estimate.

but all teh personality the other car used to have...like in the fender...and on the door :(

Lol none teh less man, good luck on teh new project, already know its gon be hott...dont forget some apc stickers

HiPSI
11-10-2005, 05:08 PM
but all teh personality the other car used to have...like in the fender...and on the door :(

Lol none teh less man, good luck on teh new project, already know its gon be hott...dont forget some apc stickers

it's ok... i have a trick up my sleeve ;)

Tracy
11-10-2005, 05:12 PM
don't talk to them. Get a lawyer. Insurance is bullshit. call this guy, he was my lawyer against State Farm. He took my case after 150 lawyers denied it because it was too little of a claim and it was against State Farm. Most lawyers are afraid of State Farm

http://atlantainjurylawyers.net/

Micheal Rosenbloum is the one. He's the coolest ever! He only charged me for paperwork. He didn't even get a % of my settlement becuase he felt bad ;) Tell him I sent you. Don't know if it will help, but I'm sure he likes referrals. He once told me "I hate State Farm and I'll take any case against them" ;)

HiPSI
11-10-2005, 05:16 PM
honestly it's not worth the time to fight tooth and nail... i just don't have the resources to do it right now. it's all good though, i'll end up with the better end of the deal with this route.

thanks for the referral though, i wish i had the time to devote to sticking it to the man :(

Tracy
11-10-2005, 05:26 PM
honestly it's not worth the time to fight tooth and nail... i just don't have the resources to do it right now.

This is what the insurance companies bank on. That you don't have the time, energy or resourses to deal with them. When we wrecked our Supra, they tried to give us 13k for it in the beginning. Well they ended up giving us 25k and we didn't have to get a lawyer. All we had to do was act like we didn't care and need the car or the $$$. The insurance companies only have a certain amount of time to make you happy. I believe it is 90 days. On the 80th day is when we got our check ;)

speedminded
11-10-2005, 05:40 PM
you don't need a lawyer....you have reciepts for the engine, wheels, and all the work you've done on it? Total it up, tell them that's what you have in it and you can keep it.

There was a mid 90's civic coupe at the bodyshop i had my paint done at...they've tried to total it twice (two seperate incidents) and he just shows them how much he has into the b18c (type-r) swap and they have to repair it.

chnco
11-10-2005, 05:41 PM
hrmmm. . . Why don't you just buy back your shell?

speedminded
11-10-2005, 05:42 PM
hrmmm. . . Why don't you just buy back your shell?because they only pay you 70% of what was originally agreed. you add up what left over 30% equals and if that is more or less than what the car is worth.

Tracy
11-10-2005, 05:43 PM

yea so the insurance co wanted to give us 13k for our Supra and then wanted to sell it back to us for 12k.......go figure

HiPSI
11-10-2005, 06:32 PM

that's what i'm doing... they give me ~$2800, then i buy back for ~$300-$350 and get the rest in a check. so i basically have $2500 to work with after i keep my car, and have shell already lined up for $300. i'll be good enough doing it this way that i can do the things i want to do to the car and it'll all get fixed.

HiPSI
11-10-2005, 06:33 PM
yea so the insurance co wanted to give us 13k for our Supra and then wanted to sell it back to us for 12k.......go figure

if they tried something like that on me then i'd deny and go lawyer-tastic on them, but my deal is basically what i was looking for money wise so i'm comfortable in taking it.

HiPSI
11-11-2005, 12:20 PM
Hey HiPSI,

They have to pay you what the parts cost new regardless of what you can find them for used or second-hand; they are legally obligated to (its in the Conditions part of your Insurance Contract) There job is to indemnify you, aka put you right back where you were before this happened. What if those $20 lights you bought from Pull-A-Part burn out, and cause you to hit someone crossing the street? Who's paying for that? Thats a major liability issue.. see where I'm goin with this?

Also, have you discussed with the claims people about the title situation? You know once a vehicle is deemed totaled or salvaged by an insurance company, you cannot register it with any of the 50 states, right? Might want to check into that before you get bent over :goodjob:

oh i understand all that, but there has to be some legal document i can sign to say that i'll be doing the work/buying the parts etc.... but that's all a moot point not.

and i also know that the car can't be registered, which is why i'm buying another shell tonight ;).