PDA

View Full Version : Car stalls while runing into a puddle of water

kct01
07-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Yesterday it stormed like a bitch and I ran into a puddle of water not seeing what was in front of me. I got to about the next block before my car stalled. It threw a cel 15. I tried starting it up and it would crank but wouldn't stay on. After I cranked it, it would just not crank over anymore. I always have this problem everytime it rains. My car sat over night and dried up now its fine. What would cause it to stall under heavy water cotact? o2 sensor? I guess what I'm saying is that what can I protect from water that would cause my car to stall and throw codes in the rain? Damn GA weather:tongue1:

.:Stirfry:.
07-27-2010, 02:21 PM
what kinda car is?

Bacon
07-27-2010, 05:53 PM
intake getting water?

-EnVus-
07-27-2010, 06:05 PM
either your intake got water in it or exhaust got deep in water stalled out due to no air flow.

preferredduck
07-27-2010, 10:20 PM
it's gonna be with the airflow. any vents in your hood by chance. i have an evo carbon fiber hood and i had to put a heat shield on to redirect heavy rain from the intake just in case if i sucked in water. also are your splash guards on your car to help keep the water out of the engine bay?

Batlground
07-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Did you look to see what was wet? If not, you can use a sprayer to try and reproduce the problem. That will isolate where it is. Just dont soak your engine bay all at once.

kct01
07-29-2010, 11:51 AM
My car is a EG h22a. When it shut off I check the intake and it was ok and I have no vents what so ever. My car is running now since the weather cleared up. I don't have any bottom cover so it's all visible to the ground looking from the engine down. When I popped my hood, I saw water on the top of my tranny and saw some of it around my fuel systems. Would water contact on the exhaust o2 sensor cause the ECU to limp or shut off my car to protect it from any harm?

Batlground
07-30-2010, 09:37 AM
I dont think a shorted o2 sensor will cause limp mode.

Eman_jDm
07-30-2010, 12:46 PM
do u have a cold air intake. water can go up into it and cause those problems. same thing happened to my civic wen it rained untill i took it off

preferredduck
07-31-2010, 02:38 PM
i have had my lower o2 short out and go bad in heavy rain and almost caused the car to die, then the CEL came on so it is possible.

hondacrx0601
08-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Hey man i think it is ur distributor getting water in it, cuz my crx done the same thing and i took the cap off and saw some water in it, dried it off and it stopped the problem.