PDA

View Full Version : Misc cosigned a vehicle

Schugg
07-14-2010, 01:13 PM
for my ex before we were divorced. hooker decided she isnt going to pay on time this month. i know i should obviously ask a lawyer these questions but im not going that far into it yet.

if she doesnt pay, since i co-signed can i legally...

-go take the car although the divorce papers state that she would get it in the divorce?

-go disable the car or put a wheel lock device on it?

any military know if i can go speak to her husbands first sergeant since they are married and it is one of her debts? along with the addition 700 she owes me?! i dont want to go bring it up to my first sergeant cause that for me would be a last resort, my first sergeant hates her and would definetely give her new husband the shaft if he was able to.

ebkmike
07-14-2010, 10:59 PM
i take the car back lol

94_teg_ls
07-14-2010, 11:02 PM
exactly what i was thinking take it back or call for a voluntary repo

BeyondaGrave
07-14-2010, 11:51 PM
I think she has to pay to drive. So you can legally take the car until she pays. Maybe you should go with your gut and talk to a lawyer. Less headache ftw.

Schugg
07-15-2010, 01:14 AM
i take the car back lol
lol i would, could use something to trade in on a new tsx...

exactly what i was thinking take it back or call for a voluntary repo
doesnt voluntary repo still go on ur credit? only reason i have any concern about this is cause im only 23 with around 750+ credit score, if someone other than me screwed that up...i cant even describe how pissed i would get!

I think she has to pay to drive. So you can legally take the car until she pays. Maybe you should go with your gut and talk to a lawyer. Less headache ftw. thats what i thought, but wasnt to sure. im going to call the bank tomorrow and see how long the grace period is, or how long they will go before calling the repo and putting stuff on credit reports. if it wasnt so illegal i would just have a friend show up at her place with fake repo papers and get the keys.

bu villain
07-15-2010, 03:21 PM
This is my understanding of cosigning on a loan. Since both names are on the loan, you both have a right to access the car (neither of you own the car, the bank does). Legally it doesn't matter whose bank account the money comes from. If the loan isn't paid in full, it will affect both of your credit scores. I'm definitely no lawyer though so I could be wrong. I definitely wouldn't disable the car or take it back without talking to a lawyer first.

TIGERJC
07-16-2010, 12:33 AM
Always get a lawyer involved when dealing with divorce, especially if your women is being childish like that

Schugg
07-16-2010, 12:58 AM
This is my understanding of cosigning on a loan. Since both names are on the loan, you both have a right to access the car (neither of you own the car, the bank does). Legally it doesn't matter whose bank account the money comes from. If the loan isn't paid in full, it will affect both of your credit scores. I'm definitely no lawyer though so I could be wrong. I definitely wouldn't disable the car or take it back without talking to a lawyer first.

thats what i thought too, money comes from my bank account anyway, i make her write me a check then i pay the bill. so that way i know it is getting payed

Always get a lawyer involved when dealing with divorce, especially if your women is being childish like that

lol worst part is divorce is over, she got engaged twice, then just remarried to another guy. all since march! not so much a childish thing, kid have more intelligence than that!

jumpin800agl
07-16-2010, 05:05 AM
I would go through your chain of command first as an easy way to get things fixed. I am sure after a little discussion from his leaders the husband would make sure that payment got made.

quickdodgeŽ
07-16-2010, 11:25 AM
I would go through your chain of command first as an easy way to get things fixed.

Why? His employer has nothing to do with it. There is no reason to involve her husband, her boss or his boss. It's between the OP, his ex-wife, the bank and what should be his lawyer. These are the only people that have anything to do with this situation. Later, QD.

94_teg_ls
07-16-2010, 11:38 AM
what abut telling there moms? lol.

BanginJimmy
07-16-2010, 03:46 PM
-go take the car although the divorce papers state that she would get it in the divorce?

No, as part of the divorce you gave up any rights to the vehicle.

-go disable the car or put a wheel lock device on it?

No. Because of gave up the rights to the vehicle, this would be no different than disabling your neighbor's car.

any military know if i can go speak to her husbands first sergeant since they are married and it is one of her debts? along with the addition 700 she owes me?! i dont want to go bring it up to my first sergeant cause that for me would be a last resort, my first sergeant hates her and would definetely give her new husband the shaft if he was able to.

Her husband has nothing to do with your divorce or the car so there is nothing the military can do.

As already posted you need to go through a lawyer to get to get your name off the loan by forcing her to refinance it or by getting rid of it. You also need to go through a lawyer to get anything else that is owed to you. remember, if it isnt specificly written into the divorce, it didnt happen.

BeyondaGrave
07-16-2010, 11:38 PM
QD and Jimmy hit it right on. Talk to your lawyer.

BUGMAN
07-26-2010, 10:47 PM
I do not believe there is such thing as a "true" co-sign anymore. You can have 2 people on the title/loan but the first name on the title has control of the vehicle. Ask your bank to make sure. I just went through this and after 2 months of stressing out my bank informed me of this. I repo'd it in the middle of the night. Police showed up the following morning only to ask me if I knew where the vehicle was at that present time. When I answered "I sure do" they both told me to have a good day and walked to their car.

Not positive how yours is financed but that was my personal experience.