PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Which car? 94 530i or 97 A4

X-Runner
07-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Okay, right now its up between these two cars. I have both and need to sell one. Which car would you keep?

94 BMW 530i is clean but needs minor cosmetic work. Needs a front bumper (small crack), headliner and seats to be recovered. It also needs a drive shaft carrier bearing. 5 speed manual. Have service records since new. Engine replaced at 63K and car now has 223K.

97 Audi A4 1.8T. Car is clean overall. Needs headliner, front air dam, torque converter and has very minor oil leaks all over. Automatic. Car has 149K and no service records.

Pics of both in a few hours.

Ziptied
07-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Neither, buy something worth a shit as neither of these are. A BMW needing a carrier bearing means a new trans, as is an Audi with needing a torque converter. If you can't afford to maintain a luxury car, don't buy one. And if you are looking that low on the spectrum, then you can't afford it.

Elbow
07-13-2010, 05:21 PM
^x2

OnURleft
07-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Neither, buy something worth a shit as neither of these are. A BMW needing a carrier bearing means a new trans, as is an Audi with needing a torque converter. If you can't afford to maintain a luxury car, don't buy one. And if you are looking that low on the spectrum, then you can't afford it.

Nailed it right there

X-Runner
07-14-2010, 12:32 AM

How does it needing a new carrier bearing mean a new trans? It doesn't. And the Audi doesn't need a trans, it was fixed today. I have both cars as it stands. I have under $600 in the Audi and $1000 in the BMW. How are neither worth a shit? Please, oh please explain.

quickdodgeŽ
07-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Wrong section. Moved. Later, QD.

Genji-Sama
07-14-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm not gonna be a douche-bag and try and tell you what you can and can't afford. I'd go with the A4 it's sexier.

SeePlusPlus
07-14-2010, 08:02 PM
I voted before really reading the condition of the cars. I drove a 97 A4 1.8T Quattro w/ stick shift and it was quite a fun car. I'm not sure the one you're talking about will be quite as nice even with the repairs done. I'd say ditch the two choices you listed and look for something that's gonna last and be cheap to maintain. A4's are very expensive to maintain. As are BMW's obviously

X-Runner
07-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Yes, I know both are high maintenance cars. I own them both. Looking to sell one as I don't need or want 3 vehicles.

SeePlusPlus
07-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Yes, I know both are high maintenance cars. I own them both. Looking to sell one as I don't need or want 3 vehicles.

Oh whoops, didn't catch that part. I'd keep the bimmer, because it's a five speed. Although I like the looks of the A4 way more

2turbo4u
07-22-2010, 08:24 PM
the bimmer looks better when done up.