PDA

View Full Version : THINKING ABOUT A H22A EG/EK HATCH...

CHADbee
11-09-2005, 08:44 PM
i have a ek coupe with a jdm b16a and its just not fast enough...i'm thinking about buying a hatch shell and getting a jdm h22a(prelude type s, 220hp, 163lbs) to drop in there. has anybody had this done or know anybody who has? any problems? any opinions? i just want all that tourqe! and 220hp stock! plus the change over from h motors is $1000 cheaper than the b18c5 change over and not that much more to get the swap done. whatcha think?

D16Civic
11-09-2005, 09:37 PM
The only problem w/ the h motors is the size and weight. I wouldnt suggest it unless you do mostly drag racing, at least from what ive heard it makes the car harder to handle cuz of the extra weight over the front wheels but i have no experience to say whether this is true or not. It takes a little more work to get in, but its been done multiple times so you can buy mounts and everything else for the swap and find out everything needed. It would definitly make a fun quick car so good luck w/ it if you try it. I believe there are a couple of them on this site actually.

On a side note: didnt u just get that b16 in ur car or am i thinking of somebody else? If you want some more power why dont you just boost it, you could get 250 whp and have more torque than an h22 w/ ease, plus it would be less hassle.

Whatthatslame
11-09-2005, 09:47 PM
I thought about going for that swap for a long time, but like mentioned before handilng will be less that usual...

hey but if you want to sell that B16 swap ill buy it...lol

CHADbee
11-09-2005, 10:26 PM
yeah i did just put that b16 in my car and i love my car...but my father has a used car lot out here in conyers and hes in texas right now at theese huge auctions he goes to every month and i talked to him and he said hes seeing eg and ek hatchs for the low low going across with alot of miles and nobody bidding too high on them and that got me thinking...small light weight car for real cheap + alot of power = what i really want. plus my car is more of a show car, i got shaved door handles and my bestfriend goes out to alabama every month to run the road course and i can't run cause of shaved door handles. i might buy a hatch and it might sit at my dads house for a few months and when i get the money start working on it.

Sleepin Hatch
11-09-2005, 10:49 PM
H-Series are not that much heavier than B Series.

i think it was somewhere from 50lbs plus or minus.

Sleepin Hatch
11-09-2005, 10:55 PM
H-T Info:

H = 123lb short block
B = 104lb short block
D = 100lb short block + oil pan

So with totaly fair comparisons... the H is 19lb heavier in the short block.

NOW lets move on... the big word that I always hear is that its the H TRANS IS SOOOO HEAVY!!! Lets take a little peak here...

H trans = 96lb
B trans = 90lb

CHADbee
11-09-2005, 11:35 PM
things that make you go ummm

EP3sAreFun
11-10-2005, 12:12 AM
theres more than weight to do with this... its called physics... the engine in that spot shifts the center of gravity lower and more front along with doing a bunch of other things... making understeer even worse... suspensoin setups can help counter act this
with axels and everything... the way the car flexes and bends alot of things you need to think about other than just the motor and power

just some things to think about. do some searching on this.

speedminded
11-10-2005, 01:18 AM
The most common Honda misconception ever!

H = 123lb short block
B = 104lb short block

H trans = 96lb
B trans = 90lb

The fully assembled H series head is about 10 lbs heavier than a B-series totaling 35lbs more :)

A complete H-series will run $1,800 or so with another $500-1000+ to install.

I know where a 280whp H22 is just begging to go into a car but you can't get it for that price ;)

speedminded
11-10-2005, 01:19 AM
H-T Info:

H = 123lb short block
B = 104lb short block

So with totaly fair comparisons... the H is 19lb heavier in the short block.

NOW lets move on... the big word that I always hear is that its the H TRANS IS SOOOO HEAVY!!! Lets take a little peak here...

H trans = 96lb
B trans = 90lblol, fucker....helps if i read all the posts first :tongue:

ruah_23
11-10-2005, 05:56 AM
My question will be why do u want to go with the type-s when u can buy the normal h22 and make it faster for a lot chaper?

IntegraXTR
11-10-2005, 12:40 PM
My question will be why do u want to go with the type-s when u can buy the normal h22 and make it faster for a lot chaper?

the type-s and the euro R motor is about the same thing, good for the money in other words, but putting it in a hatch is a little more difficult than you think, its just not power on demand its also the power to weight ratio or physics like stated above. In my opinion you should just keep the B16 and build it.

Vuongy_Dong
11-10-2005, 04:44 PM
or go type r man. seen a couple of hatches with h22's and they complain bout traction.

ruah_23
11-10-2005, 04:52 PM
the type-s and the euro R motor is about the same thing, good for the money in other words .

How's it good at the money. H22 type s cost 3600 complete swap while the jdm h22 cost 2199. With that extra money u can buy a turbo kit and go much more faster than the type s. Besides that,there's also an issue abt parts availabilty.The only thing good abt that motor is that it can rev higher than the regular h22, and in that case, if u want a high reving motor, B series will be a good choice.

CHADbee
11-10-2005, 11:43 PM
i was looking at the jdm type s on h-motors. but you people freaking me out with all this talk about not having a car that will handle like i want it to, i can't live with that. i would want to take it to the track (road) and handling is just as important as power in that situation. yeah i thought about just dropping serious cash into the car i have now. like i said i'm not for sure yet i'm gonna go with this but i'm seriously thinking about it. i've put so much money in my ek coupe theese past couple months and there no way in hell i'm gonna get out of it what i put in it. when i bought the car it all ready had the champ white, body work and swap. since then i've replaced the motor, exedy cluth and fidanza fly, suspension work, cv axels, tires...and on and on and on.

CHADbee
11-10-2005, 11:47 PM
if i do go with the hatch though since i really can't afford type r i'll go with sir-g with a mild build and eventully an jackson racing supercharger( that take awhile though $$$$)

ruah_23
11-11-2005, 12:24 AM
U can always put a roll cage...:lmfao:

Sleepin Hatch
11-11-2005, 02:52 PM
lol, fucker....helps if i read all the posts first :tongue:

im sorry... let me take my post out =P

punkr6
11-14-2005, 06:39 PM
stay away from this swap,its a waste of time and money,you can do a ls/vtec and make more power and weigh less............

ruah_23
11-14-2005, 10:00 PM
stay away from this swap,its a waste of time and money,you can do a ls/vtec and make more power and weigh less............

How's it a waste of time and money?
Give me reasons to backup ur thesis.

speedminded
11-14-2005, 10:03 PM
stay away from this swap,its a waste of time and money,you can do a ls/vtec and make more power and weigh less............you can make more than 220 with an LS/VTEC for the same price as an H22 ($1,800-2,500)? How much would have to be spent to make an LS/VTEC put out that much?

AnclyT
11-14-2005, 11:33 PM
or go type r man. seen a couple of hatches with h22's and they complain bout traction.

I think i'm one of the guys he's talking about.

we built an H22 EK hatch for my girlfriend.. she loves it

it does have traction problems when launching.. but nothing some drag radials or slicks can't fix

h22's are actually only like 30 lbs heavier than a B-series motor..
it doesn't seem to affect me too much.. just go on a diet for a week.. and it'll even out the weight for ya

speedminded
11-15-2005, 12:29 AM
I think i'm one of the guys he's talking about.

we built an H22 EK hatch for my girlfriend.. she loves it

it does have traction problems when launching.. but nothing some drag radials or slicks can't fix

h22's are actually only like 30 lbs heavier than a B-series motor..
it doesn't seem to affect me too much.. just go on a diet for a week.. and it'll even out the weight for yaCan't a little suspension tweaking fix most traction problems?

...ok off topic but this is bothering me:

01' black bb6 prelude
97' gunmetal ek9 hatch
90' sr20det 240sx fastback

is supposed to be... :D

'01 black bb6 prelude
'97 gunmetal ek9 hatch
'90 sr20det 240sx fastback

i4_garage
11-15-2005, 09:20 AM
i got a Eg shell if u ever need one...lol..

IntegraXTR
11-15-2005, 12:14 PM
i got a Eg shell if u ever need one...lol..

you got alot of things lying around, how bout gettin me a climate control for my teg.

i4_garage
11-15-2005, 07:40 PM
i did have that..until that fuker 95boostedteg....took it away from me.....damn u ...but i got a Gauge cluster want that?

Vuongy_Dong
11-15-2005, 09:02 PM
i did have that..until that fuker 95boostedteg....took it away from me.....damn u ...but i got a Gauge cluster want that?
whats up with all the profanity? You on your period? lol

CHADbee
11-15-2005, 09:17 PM
i don't know if i went ls/vtec i'd spend abot the same amount of $ getting it built right as i would buying a b18c. i'd rather just go with a motor that was built for vtech rather than modifing it. i mean it does'nt sound like a bad idea if u got a ls teg but i would be buying a whole swap and i'd just be more comfrotable going with the sir-g b18c...thats just me though.

Goinfasterthanu
11-16-2005, 06:37 PM
Well i have a h22 hatch and yea when on stock springs it sucked a little..Now on omni power full coilover setup and some zenies it does really well.. I know this no bolt on b16 will touch it..My friend even has a ctr swap and its no race in the turns or straight...

93H22ACX
11-16-2005, 08:14 PM
H22 hatch is fine..If you're going to go road racing you will upgrade suspension anyways so h22 hatch would be good. i personally love the H-series motor...

I have had great success with the H22 motor and i doubt i'll ever go b-series just because of my own perferences.

I know alot of H22 swapped civics dont run well but dont let it discourage you from getting it. you have to experience it for yourself and if you dont like it then go with the other motor...

you really cant go wrong.... you want more power out of your B16? turbo or supercharge it.... maybe even squeeze....

you want a h22 motor? swap it in and see if you like it... if not then go to a GSR.

I dont think a LSVTEC will make more power than a H22. It doesnt weigh that much more and i dont think its a waste of money.

My motor makes more than most Bseries guys on low boost (10psi=383whp and 323trq) and at say 26psi (615whp and 445trq), and my motor is a stock build....no p&p or anything... just sleeved with pistons.... and if you are saying you cant rev high... i rev mine up to 9500rpm every time i drive it. just needs a good build

Goinfasterthanu
11-17-2005, 06:36 PM
hey Bee....did you ever find out why your axle wasnt staying in?

93H22ACX
11-17-2005, 08:10 PM
hey Bee....did you ever find out why your axle wasnt staying in?

im 99% sure the lsd teeth is f'ed up... cause no matter what the axle will not snap into place... i had this axle combo for about 2 years and just recently had this problem. ill be dropping the tranny next week so i'll look at the lsd when i pull it out

Goinfasterthanu
11-18-2005, 08:32 AM
damn..that sucks.. Hope you get it fixed..BTW i like the coupe! How much more does it weigh?

93H22ACX
11-18-2005, 08:37 AM
thanks... not sure... but with my new 10 point cage im hoping for 2400lbs with me in it... my hatch and cage weighed 2310 with me in it.

Goinfasterthanu
11-18-2005, 09:19 AM
90 pounds is NOT BAD at all... does it seem to get out of the hole better?

IntegraXTR
11-18-2005, 09:38 AM
yes I agree, thats not bad

93H22ACX
11-18-2005, 10:00 AM
well i only got 1 partial run that barely made it through the 1/8th and it was my first run with this new car....

but here's the difference:

Times...............Hatch...............Coupe
60ft................ 1.78's...............1.712
330ft.............. 4.88's................4.715
1/8 ET..........7.2'-7.3s...........7.1
MPH................109mph...............103mph
1/4ET..............10.6-10.8............11.2
1/4MPH...........139mph................??????

i still had about 1000+rpm left but broke. it broke around 8000-8500...

Goinfasterthanu
11-18-2005, 11:49 AM
VERY nice.... Im going to the track tonight...Im gonna try to preload the clutch..All i have is a 6 puck stg2 and light flywheel...Will it mess up the clutch? I just ask this cause staging at 6k with the clutch slipping sounds like clutch death..lol

IntegraXTR
11-18-2005, 11:53 AM
VERY nice.... Im going to the track tonight...Im gonna try to preload the clutch..All i have is a 6 puck stg2 and light flywheel...Will it mess up the clutch? I just ask this cause staging at 6k with the clutch slipping sounds like clutch death..lol

man thats killer

93H22ACX
11-18-2005, 11:56 AM

it wont mess up the clutch... but like all clutches... it will eventually go out. ACT 6puck is what i had last year before i got the twin disk.. it was a 1 year old 6puck clutch.... i ran it with nitrous and 24.5x8 slicks launching at 7000

IntegraXTR
11-18-2005, 01:14 PM
it wont mess up the clutch... but like all clutches... it will eventually go out. ACT 6puck is what i had last year before i got the twin disk.. it was a 1 year old 6puck clutch.... i ran it with nitrous and 24.5x8 slicks launching at 7000

7k launch, wish i could do that...sounds sweeetttt

93H22ACX
11-18-2005, 01:25 PM
7k launch, wish i could do that...sounds sweeetttt

you can...just dont drop the clutch lol

Goinfasterthanu
11-18-2005, 02:47 PM
or get slicks...hehe.....i wont be useing them tonight

Vteckidd
11-18-2005, 05:19 PM

I wouldnt say that.

However:
IF DONE RIGHT, h22s can be pretty fast, but its RARE that i see an h22 beat a GSR/ITR. let me explain...

H22 SWAP
PROS:
Bigger motor, bigger discplacement
More HP than B series (190-200 BHP depending on year)
More TQ than a B SERIES

CONS:
More expensive to mod(forged internal REQUIRE SLEEVING)
Less aftermarket support (not as many camshaft, intake manifold selections)
Less aftermarket support means more money than B series
SHITTY Gearing and transmission (compared to B series) IMO
Dont rev as high reliably as B series IMO
More costly and difficult to swap into a hatch.
i hate shifter cables, prefer linkages
Weigh much more than a B series (80lbs, i dont care what HT says)

GSR/ITR SWAP
PROS:
Decently Priced
Good HP
TONS of aftermarket support (Turbo or NA) compared to an H series
High Revving
Much better transmissions an options as far as gearing, FD, etc
Much easier to swap than H series into a hatch
Weigh less than a H series

Cons:
ITR swap can be DOUBLE what an H22 swap goes for
GSRs cost more than an H series

IMO, i like B > H. you can do simple things like swap pistons for other motors to bump or lower compression. There arent any camshafts like the Pro series or BC cams for the H series, very limited in camshafts in a H motor.

You can buy 4 different intake manifolds for under $250 for a B series, nothing in the H series for that cheap

LSVTEC is good if its a built motor, but if its stock, then i do not advise it. GSRs make the same power and are more realible than a stock LSVTEC.

With the exception of Bees old NA H22, i have NEVER SEEN a h series beat a B series (GSR/ITR) at the track or street races. and i would put money on a B series over an H series any day.

IntegraXTR
11-18-2005, 06:17 PM
yeh I rather choose b series just because it is true, LOTS of parts to interchange.