PDA

View Full Version : New memphis sub doesnt hit?

leroy12
07-11-2010, 12:59 PM
hey guys i just bought a new memphis c312d2 12" its a 2 ohm speaker .

im pushing it with a
PowerBass 1 Ch. 1500 Watt Auto Sound Amplifier

i made the SEALED box exactly to memphis's specs. with .8 cu ft airspace.
the box is sealed tight.

the speaker doesnt hit hard at all really.

would increases the cubic foot to about 1.2 make a BIG difference or should i go bigger?

KEEP IN MIND PLEASE. that i like loud crisp bass notes. i listen to alot of metal.

THANKS for any advice

DynamicSound
07-11-2010, 01:20 PM
The main reason it is not hitting hard is the smaller sealed enclosure. The #1 most important thing about any subwoofer is the enclosure that is used to house it. Build a vented enclosure to specs and you will receive much more spl, but will retain sound quality.

I actually have the same sub in a 10" in my Porsche running at 800rms in a 1.5 cubes vented enclosure (not built to specs, built for spl). Due to the enclosure and the fact that it is a hatch, you can barely sit in it when it is up.

That system is an example of this. The first design we did was built due to the lack of room. We were trying to flush mount it with the hatch, so the enclosure is very shallow and narrow. It was 1.45 cubes vented, so spec wise it is not far off from the new enclosure. However, we had to position the sub near the port. So when the volume was turned up, it would roll off due to the fact they it was firing directly into the port versus a chamber. So at low volumes, it sounded good, but as you turned it up, it sounded horrible. Now, the same system in a correctly designed box close to the same specs changed everything.

leroy12
07-11-2010, 01:43 PM
k thx! i got ALOT of 3/4 mdf left so im gonna try to build a ported box for the first time ever. lol wish me luck. i will let u guys know how it goes.

metalmatt47
07-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Metal? I like metal :)

Seems kind of big for a sub to be playing metal from.