PDA

View Full Version : Datsun kick panel install trouble

WFOdime
07-11-2010, 11:54 AM
I have a '70 510 and I decided it was time for some tunes for the first time since I've had the car. The problem I'm running into is where to mount the front speakers. I want to put them in the kick panel but not only is the existing hole to small but it I made it big enough there wouldn't be enough depth. They are 5 in speakers. I was thinking of trying to use fiberglass and see if that works but I have never used it before so I kinda unsure. Also if I were to use the fiber glass what kind of wood would I use too frame it.

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b434/pjones48/DATSUN/004.jpg

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b434/pjones48/DATSUN/003.jpg

Berta
07-11-2010, 06:59 PM
making kick panels is alot easier than ppl think. if you wasnt soo far away i could make you some in less than a day. you can tape that area up with masking tape. glass it, or make the back section out of some paneling... then build a frame for the speaker to how you wan the speaker to be staged in there. as so it doesnt interfere with the clutch pedal/foot. then strech a t-shirt or grill clothe over the frame/backing. resin it 1st, then glass layer it prob 3x's after. should be hard enough to walk on by then and wrap it with carpet or vinyl of your choice, and you'll be done. its really not hard to do... just takes alil time and patience..

WFOdime
07-11-2010, 10:16 PM
thanks boss, I'll take this into mind. Some one one a datsun forum I'm on gave me the idea of using pvc to house it and fiberglass it to the kick panel.

How do you think that would work?

metalmatt47
07-12-2010, 11:35 AM
I just made little boxes for my 210. It's a hatch though, so I have the room. Really sounds great though.

WFOdime
07-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Yo dude this is '70dime from ratsun

metalmatt47
07-12-2010, 04:17 PM
I thought so. lol Dude your car is a beauty. Haven't ever seen a pic of it until now.

WFOdime
07-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Thanks boss, There is a thread on it in the old school section.

Berta
07-16-2010, 06:07 PM
thanks boss, I'll take this into mind. Some one one a datsun forum I'm on gave me the idea of using pvc to house it and fiberglass it to the kick panel.

How do you think that would work?

only prob with that is if you have the pvc tube sealed to the kick panel, that will be all the air space the speaker will have. if you pm your cell # or email, i can send you phone pics of stages of me doing the kicks for my tacoma. then you'll be able to see. lmk