PDA

View Full Version : missfiring

blown_ss
07-09-2010, 08:16 PM
ok so today i decided to replace my plugs and wires. once i had replaced both i started the car to make sure it was all good and the car sounded like it wasnt running on all cylinders. the first thing i thought was that the parts store gave me the wrong plugs because it has happen before so i pulled the plugs and installed the old ones and nothing changed. i decided to try the old wires and and make sure that i didnt screw up the firing order but there wasnt a difference. i have checked everything i touched and nothing seems wrong. the plugs cant be gapped so thats not the problem. i have no idea what the hell the problem is so if anyone could help that would be great. thanks.

note- the engine is a b18b1 obd1.

00 blk G20t
07-09-2010, 09:36 PM
what kind of wires did you use? if you used nology wires i have a sneaking suspicion that those wires will prematurely kill a coil because thats what happened to me LOL. pull your wires one by one and set it up so you can see them arching on a small metal screwdriver to check that each cylinder is getting spark. seems like you may have a bad coil or something.

-EnVus-
07-09-2010, 09:41 PM
You sure your car don't need gaped plugs ?
Also make sure the connectors on wires are snapping on those are a sneaky fuckers.

blown_ss
07-09-2010, 11:20 PM
You sure your car don't need gaped plugs ?
Also make sure the connectors on wires are snapping on those are a sneaky fuckers.

all of the connectors are on good. i dont think the gap in the plugs or lack there of has anything to do with it since i changed out the new ones with the old ones after the problem started and nothing changed. i drove the car 100+ miles today alone on the old plugs with out a problem before i changed them. also im using stock wires. im thinking maybe the coil just took a dump on me. im not sure how old it is.

-EnVus-
07-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Did you replace the cap and rotor ?
Yeah the coil could be an issue if you have a volt meter you can check if its within Range

blown_ss
07-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Did you replace the cap and rotor ?
Yeah the coil could be an issue if you have a volt meter you can check if its within Range

the only thing that i changed was the plugs and wires. im going to get a new coil anyways.

blown_ss
07-10-2010, 08:36 PM
so i replaced the coil and rotor button and the car is still doing the same thing. i wanted to see which cylinders were working so i unplugged the wires one by one to see if anything happen. i started with cylinder 1 and nothing happen as well as 2 but when cylinders 3 and 4 were unplugged the motor wanted to stall. this tells me that cylinders 1 and 2 are not working as they should. i wanted to see if i was getting spark so i held the wire to a grounded area and i had spark. someone please help me out here!