PDA

View Full Version : Sports LEBRON IN MIAMI

fastlee
07-08-2010, 09:25 PM
what is everybody thoughts over lebron in miami now?????

cjhutch
07-08-2010, 09:42 PM
The NBA is going to be very interesting for the next 5 years as all teams try to build in order to beat the Heat. The only city I feel for in this entire thing is Cleveland because they did everything to make the guy happy over the past 7 years. In addition the city is already a dump and the money Lebron brought in helped to some extent, but now it's pretty much trash. The thing I don't understand is all the hate coming from fans of the other teams and the critics slamming his decision. The guy went to a team that makes them an automatic contender and the best lineup in the east. Unlike Joe Johnson he is going to sign for less than the max in order to join the team and put winning first which is "supposed" to be the most important thing in sports. I still don't like the guy because he just does so many things that I don't agree with and comes off as a douche, but I respect his decision.

BanginJimmy
07-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Miami is now the best team in basketball and unless one of the big 3 goes down, no one has a chance to beat them.

I am on the other side, I think basketball just got a lot more boring. 1 dominant team in the East, 1 in the west for the next 4 or 5 years. Everyone else is just playing for the cash.

x Resilience
07-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Since LA beat the "Big 3" i guess they can go it again.

Franco Tirador
07-09-2010, 01:33 AM
the heat are top team, the only thing that can mess them up is chemistry within the team, if lebron and wade cant work together, the team is trash, look at denver when they had iverson and all them stars, they did not do much

fastlee
07-09-2010, 10:14 AM
well everyone knew iverson is a ball hog. From day one he wanted to run the show thats why he never got a ring when he took his team to the finals against the lakers. Chemistry between the three in miami is gonna be ridiculous. More alley ups, dunks, blocked shots. But the only thing is they won't get it done this year. Pat riley doesn't have a lineup where they can switch in and out with just minimum contract players. Yea they have 3 superstars but what about your bench????? They take 3 out of 4 titles starting after this season is done. Kobe does a 3 peat this year just watch

Alan®
07-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Saw something about this on Mike's FB status and I found the NYT Article.

Cleveland fans, you can still hold your heads high: The curse has been lifted!

Or so the Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert asserts, in an open letter to “Cleveland, all of Northeast Ohio and Cleveland Cavaliers supporters wherever you may be tonight.”

While some in the city and state that once hailed LeBron James as “king” burned his jerseys, Gilbert promised a much brighter future while simultaneously chastising and berating James for his “cowardly betrayal” of his hometown fans.

“But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called ‘curse’ on Cleveland, Ohio,” Gilbert wrote, noting that the “self-titled former ‘king” will be taking the bad luck and karma with him to South Beach.

With the “curse” on its way to Miami, Cleveland is now primed to win a championship, in Gilbert’s eyes. In all capital letters, in the middle of the letter, Gilbert made a vow to Cavaliers fans everywhere:

“I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING’ WINS ONE.”

Cleveland, Gilbert says, won’t just live on, it will prosper. Its children won’t have the image of a selfish role model draped over their arenas, and its front offices will be working harder than ever to win a championship against James.

James called the decision “tough” in his nationally televised interview with Jim Gray, claiming that he “never wanted to leave Cleveland,” but Gilbert doesn’t seem to believe him. In an interview with The Associated Press, Gilbert said that James gave far from his best effort in the 2010 playoffs.

”He quit,” Gilbert said. ”Not just in Game 5, but in Games 2, 4 and 6. Watch the tape. The Boston series was unlike anything in the history of sports for a superstar.”

While it probably didn’t shock too many fans in Cleveland, the reality of James’s exit was clearly emotional. Gilbert probably realizes that the only way to resurrect and reaffirm Cleveland sports isn’t with another superstar signing. It’s with a championship.

But can Cleveland win without James?

Letter in Question

Dear Cleveland, all of Northeast Ohio and Cleveland Cavaliers supporters wherever you may be tonight;
As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier.
This was announced with a several-day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment.
Clearly, this is bitterly disappointing to all of us.
The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Cavaliers have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.
There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past and our more than exciting future. Over the next several days and weeks, we will be communicating much of that to you.
You simply don't deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal.
You have given so much and deserve so much more.
In the meantime, I want to make one statement to you tonight: "I personally guarantee that the Cleveland Cavaliers will win an NBA Championship before the self-titled former 'king' wins one."
You can take it to the bank.
If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.
Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there.
Sorry, but that's simply not how it works.
This shocking act of disloyalty from our homegrown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow up to become.
But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on Cleveland, Ohio.
The self-declared former "King" will be taking the "curse" with him down south. And until he does "right" by Cleveland and Ohio, James (and the town where he plays) will unfortunately own this dreaded spell and bad karma.
Just watch.
Sleep well, Cleveland. Tomorrow is a new and much brighter day...
I PROMISE you that our energy, focus, capital, knowledge and experience will be directed at one thing and one thing only:
DELIVERING YOU the championship you have long deserved and is long overdue...
Dan Gilbert
Majority Owner
Cleveland Cavaliers

quickdodge®
07-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Miami is now the best team in basketball and unless one of the big 3 goes down, no one has a chance to beat them.

I let flow a slight guffaw at this, lolol.

Miami still isn't shit. I bet you they don't make the finals next year. Not money of course, but a Mountain Dew. How about that.

I think the coach's reaction is less sub-par at best. You always show your true colors when your feelings get hurt and you get upset when something doesn't go your way. Why does Gilbert wait until Lebron leaves the team before he tries to gather some morality and call Lebron out on his inadequacies? Saying it's about time someone ousts Jamers? If he had such good character, why didn't he say something while Lebron was still a Cav? What a joke. "I'm taking my ball and I'm going home!" Later, QD.

BanginJimmy
07-09-2010, 11:10 AM
I just read that Mike Miller is about to sign with the Heat now also. Add to that some minimum salary players and no one will be keeping up.

cjhutch
07-09-2010, 11:24 AM
I let flow a slight guffaw at this, lolol.

Miami still isn't shit. I bet you they don't make the finals next year. Not money of course, but a Mountain Dew. How about that.

I think the coach's reaction is less sub-par at best. You always show your true colors when your feelings get hurt and you get upset when something doesn't go your way. Why does Gilbert wait until Lebron leaves the team before he tries to gather some morality and call Lebron out on his inadequacies? Saying it's about time someone ousts Jamers? If he had such good character, why didn't he say something while Lebron was still a Cav? What a joke. "I'm taking my ball and I'm going home!" Later, QD.

Dan Gilbert is the owner and not the coach. As far as his reaction and why he didn't call him out before, he's the owner and it's bad for business to trash your own players. He probably did it quietly within the organization, but never publicly. I think he has a right to be that upset because HE personally did everything to make Lebron happy while he was in Cleveland. You give the guy exactly what he wants and he still leaves you, that's kind of messed up. His crew got to travel with the team and got seats right behind the Cavs bench for away games. Lebron didn't pay for any of that. Not only that, but Lebron always talked about loving the city of Cleveland and then he leaves for Miami which is almost a complete 180 from the kind of city Cleveland is.

quickdodge®
07-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Dan Gilbert is the owner and not the coach. As far as his reaction and why he didn't call him out before, he's the owner and it's bad for business to trash your own players. He probably did it quietly within the organization, but never publicly. I think he has a right to be that upset because HE personally did everything to make Lebron happy while he was in Cleveland. You give the guy exactly what he wants and he still leaves you, that's kind of messed up. Not only that, but Lebron always talked about loving the city of Cleveland and then he leaves for Miami which is almost a complete 180 from the kind of city Cleveland is.

I know who Gilbert is so we're good there. And I know the reason he didn't call him out before. These were not my points. I find it comical that he does this. The first thing I thought was so he was already thinking this way before James left but never said anything ONLY because he had James there and didn't want him to leave. He's not mad because James left. He's mad and pitching a temper tantrum because his only chance at notoriety has come and gone and now he has nothing. So now he wants to tell the world how Lebron really is. I also never said he shouldn't be upset. His reaction is hilarious.

Still no championship for Miami next year. Later, QD.

cjhutch
07-09-2010, 12:54 PM
^When you were referring to the coach's reaction I thought you were talking about Gilbert. Which coach were you referring to? I'm just glad the whole parade is over so now ESPN can focus all it's attention on the Brett Favre decision. I wonder who is going to sponsor his 1 hour special?

Back on topic a little, I think Lebron is getting ahead of himself a little. He talks about leading the Heat to a championship. He must not know he is the A-Rod to Wade's Jeter in Miami now. Wade is still the leader of that team no matter how big Lebron's profile or endorsement check is. Kobe has to be going crazy right now anticipating the first game they play the Heat. Just imagine if the Lakers match up against the Heat in the Championship and they win. I think the Magic and Celtics are the teams to beat in the east.

quickdodge®
07-09-2010, 01:05 PM
^When you were referring to the coach's reaction I thought you were talking about Gilbert. Which coach were you referring to?

I did word that wrong, my apologies.

Wade is still the leader of that team no matter how big Lebron's profile or endorsement check is.

Lebron and his media hyping would lead anyone to believe otherwise. I hope the team fails just because of this circus. Later, QD.

Vteckidd
07-09-2010, 02:50 PM
To Banginjimmy:

Lets see if Lebron and Wade can tolerate each others Egos first. IF they dont win in 2 years, this team falls apart. Right now they cant even fill a roster. Superstar teams dont win championships, well unless youre boston (and even then they only won once). I mean 3-4 years ago on paper the ROCKETS were STACKED, there wasnt anyone that could beat them, but they never got out of the second round.

I like this article. Lebron is free to sign with someone else, i mean Shaq did it, Garnett did it, Jason Kidd, etc. But the WAY he did it, was a big FUCK YOU to cleveland

This was Tiger Woods II, a wounded child star revealing the toll of celebrity and brand-building on his character, decision-making and self-awareness.

As of right now, we have no clue if we’ll ever again see the old Tiger Woods, the ruthless, lethal golfer eclipsing Jack Nicklaus. Thanksgiving ’09 damaged that Tiger.

The Summer of ’10 may have done irreparable damage to LeBron James.

Thursday night, his LeBrontourage and ESPN enablers dressed him in a clown suit, topped it with a black hat and turned him into a buffoonish laughingstock and villain.

Will he recover?

For seven years, James seemed to delight in, court and fuel himself with universal adoration and respect. It’s gone now, and it’s not coming back. He’s a hero in Miami, a coward in New York, a spoiled, narcissistic punk most everywhere else and Black Modell in Ohio.

Cavs fans burned his jersey in the streets. Police protected his house in Akron and a giant “Witness” banner in downtown Cleveland.

Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert eviscerated LeBron’s reputation, telling the Associated Press that James quit in the playoffs, wouldn’t return phone calls or text messages for more than a month and described James’ televised reality-show exit self-promotional and cowardly.

Maybe LeBron wants to be the NBA’s Bad Boy, a mix of Allen Iverson, Isiah Thomas and Bill Laimbeer. Maybe the venom directed LeBron’s way will motivate him, mature his competitive focus.

Or maybe he’ll melt.

Tiger looks guilt-ridden and less confident since his flaws were exposed, since his initial prisoner-of-war press conference turned him into Jay Leno and David Letterman fodder.

The Summer of LeBron will continue on South Beach. He picks Miami.

“The Decision,” LeBron’s emotion-free, lovemaking session with Jim Gray, Stu Scott, Mike Wilbon, Jon Barry and Chris Broussard, is something sports fans will never forget.

It was America’s first all-male, PG-13 celebrity sex tape.

The problem is, LeBron’s handlers failed to warn him that sex tapes enhance the careers of female celebrities. The men, unless strapped like Tommy Lee and performing opposite Pamela Anderson, don’t get much bounce or they’re ridiculed.

“I wanted to do what was best for LeBron James,” King James told Wilbon. “What LeBron James was going to do to make him happy.”

Yep, his most memorable speaking line from LeDecision was delivered in third person. He’s a joke, and only the insanely dishonest will defend his performance and the decision to host LeBron-apalooza.

LeBron and Maverick Carter, the King’s right-hand man, actually thought a $2.5 million check to the Boys and Girls Club and online scholarships to the University of Phoenix would clean up this mess, would ease the pain in his hometown.

Can LeBron handle the mental abuse he’s about to endure? Will being reviled energize him the way being revered did?

You can’t effectively fly insulting banners over NBA arenas, but you sure as hell can heckle and taunt with signs. The abuse some would like to heap on Tiger Woods on the golf course, they’ll be free to unload on the new, tattooed poster child for athletic self-indulgence and narcissism.

Tiger operates in a PGA-fortified cocoon. LeBron works in the NBA’s boiling pot, ground zero for the culture war between hip-hop values and corporate sponsorship.

He’s a target now. The preening and dancing and powder-throwing have a stench, a B.O., as in Bron Owens, the NBA’s Terrell Owens.

CONTACT JASON WHITLOCK If you have a question or comment for Jason, submit it below and he may just respond.Where was Nike? Why didn’t Phil Knight put a stop to this, get James to comprehend the risks?

No one cares about LeBron giving the advertising dollars from “The Decision” to the Boys and Girls Club. James would’ve been better served cutting a personal check to a Cleveland/Akron charity and informing the Cavs he was leaving immediately after the playoffs.

It appears Dan Gilbert is irate because he realizes LeBron made LeDecision long ago. This whole spectacle was a gigantic tease, a charade. The Cavs‘ offseason approach (draft, free agency, Mike Brown, Danny Ferry) might have been dramatically different had the organization known from the get-go James was leaving.

LeBron owed Gilbert and Cavs fans a heads-up.

“I wanted to do what was best for LeBron James,” he said. “What LeBron James was going to do to make him happy.”

When James announced his decision, he didn’t say he was joining Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and the Miami Heat. LeBron said he was going to South Beach.

He’s Tiger Woods, chasing a childhood celebrity stole. LeBrand, Maverick, Drama and Turtle are headed to South Beach to party with D.Wade and CB4.

There’ll be more new baby-mamas than championships.

Vteckidd
07-09-2010, 02:52 PM
^When you were referring to the coach's reaction I thought you were talking about Gilbert. Which coach were you referring to? I'm just glad the whole parade is over so now ESPN can focus all it's attention on the Brett Favre decision. I wonder who is going to sponsor his 1 hour special?

Back on topic a little, I think Lebron is getting ahead of himself a little. He talks about leading the Heat to a championship. He must not know he is the A-Rod to Wade's Jeter in Miami now. Wade is still the leader of that team no matter how big Lebron's profile or endorsement check is. Kobe has to be going crazy right now anticipating the first game they play the Heat. Just imagine if the Lakers match up against the Heat in the Championship and they win. I think the Magic and Celtics are the teams to beat in the east.

My picks for next year are:

1.Boston
2.Orlando
3.Chicago
4.Miami

I dont think miami even makes it to the Eastern Conferance Finals, and im calling it now, the Bulls will have a better season than the Heat.

tony
07-09-2010, 04:40 PM
If anyone has really watched Lebron's game over the years they would know he's not a shoot first player as much as people make him out to be. The problem is people associate him with Jordan when really he is more like Magic, (many of you are too young to know how he played) he is not a shoot first player and it has showed in every playoff run the Cav's have had. He'd rather drive the lane and kick it out than take control, that is Wade's job and now he has it.

Just think about this, you have Lebron who you know is an amazing athlete and could play the point if he has to. Should you choose to double him you have Wade 1 on 1 with potentially your 2nd or 3rd best defender on the court because #1 is on Lebron, and that is not to mention Bosch on the inside and a great shooter in Chalmers. The 5th piece isnt there yet and if there is an achilles heel of this team it will be their bench. The chemistry with Wade and Lebron will be good because their games mesh, Bosch is added security to the equation.

Miami dominates this season if Chalmers can step up similar to how Rondo does, but in the off season next year another team in the East stacks their roster and poses a challenge. In the west watch out for Oklahoma City and not to mention the Lakers. The NBA has changed and its kind of exciting, players aren't worried about their contract as much as they are the Championship, this makes for entertaining basketball to watch.

Vteckidd
07-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Lol they won't dominate. Lebron chokes in the playoffs and you can't win with 3 people on your team.

That's assuming wade doesn't blow his shoulder out again. Problem in Cleveland was he didn't have enough talent around him to go the distance, and he's not the "takeover a game" type YET. He can't take a game over like Kobe or Jordan did.

Now he's got wade and bosh but they can't all play 48 minutes.

It'll be at least 2-3 years before they can make a run. By that time Boston will be old, lakers still tough, bulls will be way stronger etc

I really thjnk the team to watch is Chicago. Rose, Noah, boozer , they are going to be tough

cjhutch
07-09-2010, 05:42 PM
^ I agree with you on looking out for OKC next year. I just think Lebron is going to take a hit for the press conference and his reasons for the move. He says he made the decision to make him happy and then follows it up with it was the best move for his family. Really? Picking up your family and moving them to Florida is better than letting them stay in a place where the rest of their relatives and family live. His kids are young and have probably just started to make friends. He just built that huge mansion right outside of Cleveland as well and who is going to stay there now? His family can't stay there because they would get hounded and there is no way he can sale a house like that. So was this really the best decision for his family?

I find it hard to believe that his ego and thought process is really this inflated. I wonder if the Heat are going to let his crew travel with the team and get a couple of jobs with the team? Once again I'm not knocking him for leaving Cleveland, but it's the manner in which he did it. When I heard about the ESPN special I thought it was a joke. The only thing I could think is he is staying in Cleveland because there is no way he builds a stage like that and then leaves.

Props to Whitlock because I love his take on things like this. He did some of the best and honest reporting when the Mike Vick fiasco hit as well as steroids in baseball.

EDIT: Took too long to post, that first part was directed to tony.

Vteckidd
07-09-2010, 06:15 PM
agreed , again its not about him going somewhere else, i have no problem with people leaving and signing somewhere else. It happens ALL THE TIME.

But what i think was wrong was him building this huge stage and basically giving the middle finger (whether he realized it or not) to his hometown.

I think it would have been better if he just came out and said "i love Cleveland, i love the fans, i love the organization, it will always be my hometown, but i think its time for me to move on. "

He didnt need a 1 hour telethon that was marginally entertaining at best. I think if he was as loyal as he said he was to the Cavs he owed them a heads up. Has he really ducked their organization since the playoffs as gilbert says he did?

I think his image is forever tarnished on one hand, but then again look at kobe. No one remembers the "rape" thing anymore. Marv Albert still has a job. Barkley is still on TV.

He will have to win to gain respect, and i dont see him doing it yet.

cjhutch
07-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Oh my goodness, the Lebron hate is getting ridiculous now. People are cracking on his mom now. I'll admit, I did laugh a little.

http://simg.sportsbybrooks.com/4/d/4da03f8eea794d62b2c6b3cdfc461958_michaelbeasleysda dtweetsondelonte.jpg

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/cleveland-tweet.jpg

blaknoize
07-10-2010, 07:43 AM
Watch the Cavaliers win the Championship by defeating the Heat in the near future. LOL, and do I actually care, no! Why did I comment in this thread, I DONT KNOW, but I have, therefore it is written.

05IONREDLINE
07-10-2010, 10:47 PM
As a kid whose hometown is Youngstown, Ohio and is a lifelong Cavaliers fan I have to say that I am not mad at LeGone for leaving the Cavs. He has every right to do so. What I have a problem with is the way he did it. Vteckidd sums it up pretty well. It was a slap in the face to the devoted Cavs fans that put so much into supporting him and the team (we will continue to support the team). Like everyone says. Cleveland's economy is shit. It was shit and is still shit. He gave the city so much hope that people found ways to afford tickets just to support him. Hell, Forbes said that Lebron's presence with the Cavs raised their cash coming in by $100 million.

And about "The Letter". Dan Gilbert only said what every Cavs fan and anyone that didn't like the way that Lebron made a spectacle out of his free agency was thinking. The comments about him quitting in the playoffs I'm sure was brought up behind closed doors with Lebron. When he chose to leave the team Gilbert just made them public. Lebron was no longer an employee so he had no reason to stick up for him any longer. As a FORMER supporter of Lebron I didn't want to imagine the he would give up in the playoffs but it sure did look that way and the thought did cross my mind.

K24cb7coupe
07-18-2010, 02:23 PM
just another way for the NBA to make money, bc everyone wants to see Lebron vs Kobe finals. but i dont think it will happen.\

Miami still has to get by Boston.

VIP Style
07-27-2010, 07:09 PM
The fans of cleveland would have acted a fool no matter how Lebron would have left the city. I dont blame Lebron at all for leaving or the fashion in which he did (the earnings from the espn special were donated I believe.). He gave the cavaliers 7 hard seasons and the organization still was not able to put the proper supporting cast around the main piece (Lebron). If its anybody to blame, it should be Gilbert for that classless low blow aimed at Lebron and his organization.