PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 Reports For Stolen Cars

Brett
11-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Three separate studies reveal the vehicles most stolen in the United States.

Click to enlarge

The 1999 Acura Integra is very popular among car thieves, topping the 2004 stolen vehicle report by CCC Information Services Inc. Integra is also in the NICB "Hot Wheels" study.

The Cadillac Escalade was the most stolen SUV, according to the CCC 2004 stolen vehicle report.

The 1989 Toyota Camry also is a favorite among car thieves, according to the NICB list of America's most stolen vehicles.

Audi S4
Cadillac Escalade
Cadillac Escalade EXT
Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Chrysler Sebring
Dodge Caravan
Dodge Stratus
Ford F-150
Honda Accord
Honda Civic
Nissan Maxima
Nissan Sentra
Toyota Camry

Model year 2002 and 2003 Nissan Maximas are the second most popular vehicles among thieves, according to the HLDI list, primarily because of the car's expensive headlights.

The popular 1995 Honda Civic was the top pick among thieves during the 2004 calendar year, according to the "Hot Wheels" report released in November 2005 by the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB).
In 2004, 1,237,114 motor vehicles were reported stolen which is a decrease of 23,357 vehicles from 2003. Overall in the U.S., car theft was down by almost two percent.

"The slight decrease in auto theft is a positive sign. Now all of us in the fight against vehicle theft and insurance fraud must ensure that we continue the momentum and bring this national crime problem under control," said Robert M. Bryant, President and Chief Executive Officer of the NICB.

The most recent NICB report listed the 1989 Toyota Camry as the second most stolen vehicle, followed by the 1991 Honda Accord.

In fourth position, the 1994 Dodge Caravan was the highest-listed minivan as well as the most stolen domestic automobile. The Caravan was followed by three pickup trucks: the 1994 Chevrolet C/K 1500, the 1997 Ford F-150 and the 2003 Dodge Ram, respectively.

The NICB encourages everyone to follow what it calls a "layered approach" to auto theft protection by employing simple, low-cost suggestions to make vehicles less attractive to thieves. The four layers include Common Sense, Warning Device, Immobilizing Device, and Tracking Device.

The least expensive form of defense, common sense simply means using the standard safety features of a vehicle by locking the car and taking the keys. The second layer is a warning device or alarm on the vehicle.

The third layer takes suggests some sort of immobilizing device, such as a fuel cutoff or smart key that prevents the vehicle from being driven, and the fourth layer consists of a tracking device allowing law enforcement officers to track and recover a vehicle if stolen.

The NICB study is based on information reported to the National Crime Information Center, and it's one of three reports that list the most stolen cars in America.

Most Stolen, from CCC Information Services
The 1999 Acura Integra received the dubious honor of being listed as the most stolen vehicle of 2004, according to the most recent stolen vehicle report from CCC Information Services Inc. (CCC).

The CCC report found that one out of every two hundred registered 1999 Integras was stolen during 2004. The 2002 BMW M Roadster and the 1998 Acura Integra were second and third on the list, respectively.

The 2004 stolen vehicle report from CCC Information Services Inc. is based on the rate of theft for a vehicle as a percentage of the total number of that vehicle registered. CCC analyzes total loss claims received from more than 350 property and casualty insurers in North America and compares the number of vehicles stolen and not recovered against vehicle registration volume information provided by R.L. Polk & Co., to determine the rate of theft.

CCC changed the method of determining the most stolen vehicles for last year's study, basing the report on the theft rate rather than the number of thefts, which had skewed the report toward the most popular models. CCC is a technology provider to the automotive claims and repair industry.

CCC does not include vehicles stolen for joyrides or otherwise recovered and returned to their owners, but only vehicles stolen and deemed a total loss, or never recovered. A vehicle is considered a total loss when the cost to repair it approaches or exceeds the value of the vehicle.

"We cannot determine with absolute certainty the reason why thieves steal some vehicles over others, but we see trends in the data that provide interesting insight," said Carole Comstock, CCC's vice president of marketing and product management. "For instance, our data suggests some cars are stolen for the value of their parts, which may explain why we often see a 'clustering' effect with same make and model vehicles from sequential model years."

"The data also points to a high proportion of stolen cars that are built for speed such as the BMW M Roadster, Audi S4 and Mercury Marauder, which all appear on the top 25 most stolen vehicles list in 2004," said Comstock.

Most Stolen, Based on Insurance Theft Loss
The luxurious Cadillac Escalade EXT pickup truck topped the list of the most recent study by the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI), which looks at the insurance theft losses reported for one- to three-year-old vehicles.

The Escalade EXT and Nissan Maxima, which is second on the HLDI list, have theft claim rates seven to eight times higher than the average for all cars. "This is the second year in a row that an Escalade is among the vehicles most likely to have a theft claim," said Kim Hazelbaker, HLDI senior vice president. "Both the Escalade pickup and SUV also top the list of vehicles with the most expensive theft claims, indicating they are top targets for thieves."

One of the likely reasons for the Escalade's popularity among thieves is the propensity for owners to outfit the big Cadillacs with expensive wheel packages, some costing as much as $10,000. Where wheels are popular on the Escalade, the Nissan Maxima's theft rate climbed dramatically in 2002 when the company made expensive high-intensity discharge headlights part of the car's standard equipment.

"Investigators tell us the high-intensity discharge headlights are often stolen because they fit into earlier Maximas that were sold without such lights," Hazelbaker said. "This car was redesigned for 2004, and its new headlight assemblies don't fit previous generation models. It's too early to tell if the 2004s will still have a theft problem."

How the Studies Differ
HLDI results are based on the number of insured vehicles. Information on theft losses published by the National Insurance Crime Bureau doesn't take into account how many of each vehicle are insured, so the most popular vehicles on the road tend to top these organizations' lists of most stolen vehicles. In contrast, HLDI and CCC Information Services identify vehicles with the worst theft losses by counting the number of claims by make and model relative to the number of each make and model insured or registered, indicating which vehicles are most likely to be targets.

Thieves Follow Market Trends
Thieves still prefer cars over SUVs or pickups—although large SUVs are becoming more common on the lists. In two separate studies, one from CCC and the other from the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB), at least seven of the ten most commonly stolen vehicles in the United States are cars, with the Acura Integra, Toyota Camry, Honda Civic and Honda Accord prominent on the lists. However both studies show an increase in SUV theft.

The SUVs with the highest theft rates, according to the CCC 2004 stolen vehicle report, are the 2004 Cadillac Escalade and the 1998 Land Rover Range Rover.

The most commonly stolen truck, according to the NICB report, is the Chevrolet Silverado (C/K) full-size pickup—fifth on the NICB list for calendar 2004.

According to Bryant, "Vehicle thieves follow market trends and target the most popular vehicles because they provide the best market for stolen vehicle parts and illegal export to other countries."

The CCC reports the ten most stolen vehicles for 2004 are as follows:

1999 Acura Integra
2002 BMW M Roadster
1998 Acura Integra
1991 GMC V2500
2002 Audi S4
1996 Acura Integra
1995 Acura Integra
2004 Mercury Marauder
1997 Acura Integra
1992 Mercedes-Benz 600
The study is based on total loss claims received from more than 350 property and casualty insurers in North America and compares the number of vehicles stolen and not recovered against vehicle registration volume information provided by R.L. Polk & Co., to determine the rate of theft.

The NICB top ten list—the number in parentheses is the model year most stolen:

Honda Civic (1995)
Toyota Camry (1989)
Honda Accord (1991)
Dodge Caravan (1994)
Chevrolet C/K 1500 (1994)
Ford F-150 (1997)
Dodge Ram Pickup (2003)
Acura Integra (1990)
Toyota Pickup (1988)
Nissan Sentra (1991)
The HLDI lists the five most stolen vehicles for the 2001-2003 model years as follows:

Cadillac Escalade EXT
Nissan Maxima
Cadillac Escalade
Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Sebring
Dodge Intrepid

Tiff-O-Bitties
11-09-2005, 03:24 PM
why doesnt anyone want a damn cavalier? gawd.

The Yousef
11-09-2005, 05:47 PM
Aha!

mine's not on the list!!

SLOWR/T
11-09-2005, 05:53 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/NAFC3S/colinpowell.jpg

Brett
11-09-2005, 06:13 PM
^^^^^^^^

Boosted S60R
11-09-2005, 06:14 PM
They dont want a fast grocery getter lol

collins
11-09-2005, 06:18 PM
shit, mine's been attemped stolen 2x. neither time were they successful.

*disclaimer: this is not a challenge to car thieves! if i see you fuggin with my ride, be damn sure you're gonna leave with a few more holes than you came with.

DP97ACCORDLX
11-09-2005, 06:35 PM
89 Camry?? lol

Schugg
11-09-2005, 07:08 PM
yahh thats nice considering i have a 95 civic. my mom told me about that earlier, she said she will let me park in the garage now!! haha so i guess im happy 95's always get stolen, or i wouldnt get the garage

Halfwit
11-09-2005, 08:18 PM
alot of ppl want to roll like this...i guess

TheFireMan
11-09-2005, 09:25 PM
...Yeah..Thats why my Integra is always garage kept or parked in the front of the driveway infront of other cars..lol

IndianStig
11-09-2005, 09:27 PM
i want an acura integra but now i think i want a dodge caravan

thats been true for a while integra=hot stuff among us youngns with no brains so of course........