PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods ls:vtec/b16???

dutuINC
11-09-2005, 11:08 AM
well i got a question for yall, which one is better for the bucks, to do a ls/vtec swap all motor in a civic hatch, or a b16 all motor??? which one go faster and less expensive??? thx jw

Vuongy_Dong
11-09-2005, 11:37 AM
I would do a ls/tec. more power and toque, whick is a lil more money.

Jon00
11-09-2005, 11:54 AM
I would do a ls/tec. more power and toque, whick is a lil more money.

x2 ls/vtec

dutuINC
11-09-2005, 11:57 AM
anyone want to oppose it??? need idea?

D16Civic
11-09-2005, 10:37 PM
If your goin to go all motor, i definitly would not start off w/ a b16 if i had the option. Ls/vtec would definitly be better, but depending on how crazy u want to go w/ the all motor build, it might just be easier to go w/ a gsr motor. If ur wanting to do some crazy stuff like vteckidd's ls/vtec then yea, the ls block will help out, but otherwise i dont see why you dont just go w/ a gsr. You can still get over 200 whp.

speedminded
11-10-2005, 12:55 AM
How about an LS or CRV block with a b16 head?

dutuINC
11-10-2005, 09:18 AM
b20 vtec is good, but i heard the block is weak, you can't rev it over it redline alot cause the block can't handle it. sleeves are weak. good torque tho.

speedminded
11-10-2005, 09:21 AM
b20 vtec is good, but i heard the block is weak, you can't rev it over it redline alot cause the block can't handle it. sleeves are weak. good torque tho.i think the b20z is a much better block for the built up...then bore it out and put in some honda integra type-r (RSX) pistons in it ;)

dutuINC
11-10-2005, 09:29 AM
yea, i agree with yall that it a nice set up. but it hard to come around a b20z, i can find a b20b easily on the net, but i never found a b20z, and if you talking boring it out. yea resleeving it make the block a lil stronger

KevinT707
11-10-2005, 10:38 AM
I was told by Mike (VtecKidd) that LS/VTECs' are unreliable & that you can't rev them like you can a B16. Yes you will have more torque because of the displacement but your not going to have as much top end power, IMO. When I had my B16 I probably would've taken most LS/VTECs' out there :) (stock ones)

speedminded
11-10-2005, 10:57 AM
I was told by Mike (VtecKidd) that LS/VTECs' are unreliable & that you can't rev them like you can a B16. Yes you will have more torque because of the displacement but your not going to have as much top end power, IMO. When I had my B16 I probably would've taken most LS/VTECs' out there :) (stock ones)not too many engines out there can be revved like a b16, period...so that's a pretty safe thing to say.

We ran a stock b20z block with a mildly built b16 head putting out 205/155 at the wheels and it ran several races with no problems. Sleeve it & upgrade the internals and you would have a great daily driver that should be as reliable as any other b-series.

I have a spare p72 head and an engine stand sitting all alone in the corner so I'm very tempted to build one just for fun. i'd rather use a b16 head though.

dutuINC
11-10-2005, 11:37 AM
i'd rather use a b16 head though.

why not a gsr head/ or itr head????

IntegraXTR
11-10-2005, 12:37 PM

because the pistons would hit it and cause damage.....I would start off with a B16 but I like the ls/vtec because its more power for the money which can be built for around the same price. B16s run for about $800 or what not. All really depends on what you're trying to go for.

speedminded
11-10-2005, 01:15 PM

because the pistons would hit it and cause damage.....I would start off with a B16 but I like the ls/vtec because its more power for the money which can be built for around the same price. B16s run for about $800 or what not. All really depends on what you're trying to go for.
The valve clearance wouldn't be any differant, it's just the b16 head is better all around compared to the GS-R (P72), better flow, more & better parts availability, etc. and the ITR (P73) would be fine but initial cost would be alot more...that's money that could be spent on upgrading the valvetrain, cams, and/or porting. on the B16.

The main thing is the engine management...something most people look over. Stock ECU and a piggyback controller is fine but there is so much more you can do with a standalone unit. Uberdata is cheap and Motec is crazy expensive....spend $6,000 on the complete Motec setup on one of the Honda Challenge cars. I'm really getting into the fine tuning aspect of engine building...spend a little more on a good setup and you can safely release more power while remaining reliable.

single_cam_ham
11-10-2005, 01:16 PM
I'm partial to leaving good enough alone..i say b16...you're in a honda...there isn't that much torque to be had even with the franken motors...

-S Double C-
11-10-2005, 01:17 PM
I was told by Mike (VtecKidd) that LS/VTECs' are unreliable & that you can't rev them like you can a B16. Yes you will have more torque because of the displacement but your not going to have as much top end power, IMO. When I had my B16 I probably would've taken most LS/VTECs' out there :) (stock ones)

i dont know what the hell is up with my b16 but i took down a all motor ls hatch and gsr hatch, b17 hatch and a ls/vtec hatch last friday...

Vteckidd
11-10-2005, 02:23 PM
I cant believe i missed this thread lol.

STOCK LS vtec vs STOCK B16, it depends what you want.

B16s can rev higher and much more reliably than an LS vtec with stock rods. Your talking about a 8500rpm redline vs a 7800rpm redline (if you want it to last)

LSVTEC will make more TQ, however at the cost of revability.

What tranny are you going to use? that makes a huge difference as well. if oyu end up using a LS tranny, then i would choose a B16 HANDS DOWN. if you are going to use a b16 tranny, then the lsvtec would be fun.

i personally like the GSR head. it bumps compression, and is a better design IMO than the b16 head. i like quench pads (sorry speedminded ;) )

If you have to choose between a STOCK LSVTEC and a STOCK B16, i would do a B16 IMO. much more fun motor to drive. less likely hood of blowing up as well.

LSVTECs can be reliable, but i don reccomend them unless you are building them. i would rather get a GSR block , more power, and you can rev it out.

and remember, i have a b20Vtec ;)

IntegraXTR
11-10-2005, 02:30 PM
wow everytime this guy replies to any posts it is basically answered in full....any more questions? lol

dutuINC
11-10-2005, 10:30 PM
damn all this seem good. well i starting this project. "not posting anything up till im done with it" but i want a reiliable engine. one that a daily driver but can take some punishment. but i also want ot have money left. help me out. i have a lot of mix msg bout the two engine. hlep asap. for now i'm more toward the b16.. but i dont noe anything can change. just need some advice. thx

D16Civic
11-10-2005, 10:41 PM
and remember, i have a b20Vtec :rolleyes:
then why dont u say its a b20Vtec instead of a 2.0 LS/Vtec like you have in ur sig, i mean cmon now, whats up w/ that :rolleyes:

anyways, back to subject,
If you want something that you can rev the crap out of then definitly go w/ the b16. Thats what its made for. Talk to 99si i think it is on here. He has an all motor b16 that makes around 170whp and revs to 10 grand.
Im still wondering why you have excluded the b18c out of ur choices tho, just curious.

dutuINC
11-10-2005, 11:00 PM
Im still wondering why you have excluded the b18c out of ur choices tho, just curious.

o im not, didnt really thought of it until after i post the topic up/ lol, guess i think it cost too much but it still up for graps, which ever come first and right pricing then i will consider buying and doing the swap. sasw a itr block on here for sell. but dk mybe to high foor me...

Vteckidd
11-11-2005, 09:45 AM
then why dont u say its a b20Vtec instead of a 2.0 LS/Vtec like you have in ur sig, i mean cmon now, whats up w/ that :rolleyes:

Cause when i say its a 2.0l lsvtec they say "oh you have a B20VTEC" then i say no its sleeved, then they say "oh so its a sleeved b20" i say "no its a sleeved LS"

its a hassle really, so i say b20vtec and its much simpler

99SI
11-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Yes, I 99SI am on here and I do have a 173+- whp b16 that redlines at 10K. I love every minute of driving it. With the b16 tranny in my car w/ 4.4 FD and the LSD I love it to death. I can go to the mountains and throw it around the bends and keep it on boil. Who needs torque when you can gear down to first, plant your foot on the gas at the apex, let the LSD bite and exit the corner at 9000 rpm with a little bit of oversteer? next three steps for me which will be completed in the next 4 months.
1. Omnipower coilovers-within the next month
2. RMF B16 spec header- hopefully by end of January
3. Rocket Motorsports ported head w/ 3 angle race valve job- by March
with those three little things I should be at 190+ at the wheels with a very capable little street/strip/mountain road runner.

I don't know if anyone has asked or if I just missed it but what chassis do you intend to put this swap into? That could make a big difference on which motor would be the best for your application.

dutuINC
11-11-2005, 10:14 AM
well im talking ot this guy that selling a b16 longblock, :goodjob: and just brought a 92vx civic from this other guy, and loooking ot build it up from there. ill post every after im done with the project i'll post all this things i have dont and everything and everyone that contribute to it. pic too, from day one to day zero.. :)

99SI
11-11-2005, 11:38 AM
in the hatch the B16 would make a very fun little car. The B18 would probably be my weapon of choice for building that hatch w/ a swap. I stayed w/ B16 since it came in my car to begine w/. I just wanted you to know that there is power available in a B16 allmotor. Just get ready to spend a few $$$$.

dutuINC
11-11-2005, 11:55 AM
yea i heard, wanna give me some... hehe jking. but hopefully i dont break the bank... if you know wat im saying

D16Civic
11-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Cause when i say its a 2.0l lsvtec they say "oh you have a B20VTEC" then i say no its sleeved, then they say "oh so its a sleeved b20" i say "no its a sleeved LS"

its a hassle really, so i say b20vtec and its much simpler
ok, got ya, i was thinking it was actually a LS block so i was just wondering when you said b20.

Vteckidd
11-11-2005, 12:30 PM
ok, got ya, i was thinking it was actually a LS block so i was just wondering when you said b20.
next time your here just look in the corner

its a B18A1 LS block sleeeved to 84.5mm=2.0L

IntegraXTR
11-11-2005, 02:09 PM
so many confused ppl on this board....