PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods B18B turbo build HELP!

Toreyjw1
06-26-2010, 11:54 AM
ive been around the block with dealing with N/A work. squeezing power out of low displacement honda engines strictly through a badass head setup used to be my thing. well recently, i was privialged to drive a couple of boosted cars and i fell in love with the power. so now i want to turbo a b18b integra i have. i had some stupid questions im sure ill recieve shit for, but the only turbo setups ive dealt with were on my duramax diesel. so i have backgrounds of fuel and boost map tuning. any realtions between the two?

i know essentially what hardware ill need. im wondering as to what i would be doing about tuning/ecu. also, i was curious about A/C. would it stay or go? im not looking for anything crazy. just a very moderate setup. and i dont have a million dollars to spend, but i DO have a relatively decent budget. any help or advice is appreciated. ill have the engine out in a week to throw a new one in. should i start any prep while i have it out? tell me what you think i should do. i just need guidance. or even keywords i can research my self :goodjob:

thanks

Jdm94Coupe
06-26-2010, 01:22 PM
1. Do you have 2 engines or one?
2. How much is your budget?
3. Is this your only car?
4. Do you plan to build the engine? If so are you building the short block or the entire engine?
5. What are your hp/tq goals.
6. Do you have ANY turbo parts yet, if so what do you have already?

Toreyjw1
06-30-2010, 10:52 AM
i have two engines, one has a bad main bearing.

about 2500 bucks, aside the cost of the new engine.

currently, no

i would build the engine if it didnt add too much to the build

and im looking for at least 275. but as always, more is better

and no. i about started buying parts, like manifold, turbo, intercooler. etc but held off afraid i would go the wrong direction with no direction.

Tree
06-30-2010, 12:26 PM
i have two engines, one has a bad main bearing.

about 2500 bucks, aside the cost of the new engine.

currently, no

i would build the engine if it didnt add too much to the build

and im looking for at least 275. but as always, more is better

and no. i about started buying parts, like manifold, turbo, intercooler. etc but held off afraid i would go the wrong direction with no direction.

thats a good start, if you want to keep you a/c, you must but a a/c and p/s friendly mani.

you have a good start with all your turbo parts, now you need bigger injectors like 440 or bigger, also you will need piping to match your car, a walbro 190 or 255( but spend the 10 more dollars and buy the 255) also you will need a tapped oil pan or to tap yours, a OEM honda oil pan gasket will help a lot.

Toreyjw1
06-30-2010, 12:39 PM
okay, so once i get those components, what kind of ecu tuning would i need. boost control? everything ive ever dealt wiht has been piggy backed off the ecu in an efi tuner of sorts. is this the same wiht a honda setup? i keep hearing about boosted setups using hondata?

putting the pieces together isnt the hard part for me. i have snapon out the ass and a shop to do it all in. any technical things i need to worry about? problems? in everyones opionon, whats the hardest part of a turbo build

Tree
06-30-2010, 07:12 PM
okay, so once i get those components, what kind of ecu tuning would i need. boost control? everything ive ever dealt wiht has been piggy backed off the ecu in an efi tuner of sorts. is this the same wiht a honda setup? i keep hearing about boosted setups using hondata?

putting the pieces together isnt the hard part for me. i have snapon out the ass and a shop to do it all in. any technical things i need to worry about? problems? in everyones opionon, whats the hardest part of a turbo build

i like to use crome, and i would get my base map from http://www.phearable.net/. they do really good base maps, but you have to get your ecu chipped. there are a few shop on ia that can do it, i know if you can get a hold of mainstream or scott they can chipped it and also very helpful with small thing. man to tell you the truth, the best thing to do it just turbo it yourself, your learn a lot, really to me the hardest part(s) are the oil pan and the oil feed line. if you look on honda-tech for some really good step by step d.i.y on how to turbo your car.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1263795 <----- there one for starters
http://beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html <----- there one for starters

also , if you are running a external and imternal waste gate they will more then likely give you like a 10 psi spring or something smaller or bigger, that will control how much boost your running. i have a god speed 38 mm wastegate and a 7 psi spring in it, and i never see above that. oh yea, i would go e-bay for your intercooler piping, they will send you clams, couplers and the bov with flange on the piping.

this will help too with answering a few more of your question,
http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?147561-***The-Forced-Induction-Forum-FAQ-Thread-Turbo-Size-Injector-Size-Turbo-Manifold***

when are you looking to boost you ls?

Tree
06-30-2010, 07:16 PM
oh yeah, MAKE SURE YOU KEEP A EYE ON YOUR OIL LEVELS

crashtke
07-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Just another piece of advice, get a good turbo. I have seen a couple ebay units come apart and send shards of compressor wheel into the engine! A good solid turbo can be had for not a whole heck of a lot more than the ebay ones. Some people seem to think that putting in garrett internals in the ebay turbo works ok, but honestly I don't think I would chance a motor for the extra 400 bucks.

Tree
07-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Just another piece of advice, get a good turbo. I have seen a couple ebay units come apart and send shards of compressor wheel into the engine! A good solid turbo can be had for not a whole heck of a lot more than the ebay ones. Some people seem to think that putting in garrett internals in the ebay turbo works ok, but honestly I don't think I would chance a motor for the extra 400 bucks.

Very good point, i took the cheap way and went with a ebay turbo, and after a few 100 miles i'm seals are going bad.

Toreyjw1
07-06-2010, 09:11 PM
I was intending on building it my self. i just didnt want to get head over heals in the project. i will start the turbo build in about two to three weeks. and thanks a lot for all the help btw. you've been extremely helpful

jdm_dc5
07-06-2010, 09:54 PM
you can get your car turned at mainstream and if scotty tunes it he can do the boost controller(he uses T's between your wastegate lines)which is very good and cheap way to control your boost..he tuned my integra with b18b it made 244hp and 200tq..this was on 10psi..

Tree
07-06-2010, 11:35 PM
you can get your car turned at mainstream and if scotty tunes it he can do the boost controller(he uses T's between your wastegate lines)which is very good and cheap way to control your boost..he tuned my integra with b18b it made 244hp and 200tq..this was on 10psi..

its kinda bad, it makes for boost spikes.

Tree
07-06-2010, 11:47 PM
hey if you need i do have a 5 bolt down pipe for sale, and it will fit a civic and a teg

jdm_dc5
07-07-2010, 12:38 AM
its kinda bad, it makes for boost spikes.

ummm ...my car never spike boost at all..

Tree
07-07-2010, 11:34 PM
ummm ...my car never spike boost at all..

mine did, on a name brand wastegate. i just dont like doing that, i would rather spend 65 on a blox boost controller, they are good and cheap

jdm_dc5
07-08-2010, 02:39 AM
mine did, on a name brand wastegate. i just dont like doing that, i would rather spend 65 on a blox boost controller, they are good and cheap

yeah thats true

jody754
07-13-2010, 12:18 AM
what all turbo stuff are you looking for i have some descent stuff laying around?

EmminoDaGreat
07-13-2010, 12:54 AM
i have seen more spijkes with a manual bc,than when using tees. hell i run 18psi with tees because im a cheap ass

dallasb84
07-14-2010, 08:15 PM
i actually apreciate the maturity of the original post. my advice is... if i may give it... would be to go ahead and build a spare motor then just swap it.....

go bog or pick a different hobby..... a decent built engine and turbo setup can be budgeted with patients and just a lil bread.......

if you want to start out in a good direction.... the first thing i would say would be to forget the turbo kit for now and rebuild the spare.....

i have a spare crank if yours if fuxed and also have a full rotating assembly for an ls if the blocks still good........ get it freshly machined.

maybe a hone and deck if your lucky.

good luck

dallasb84
07-14-2010, 08:16 PM
oh and if i can recommend scotty for tuning ..... he did a good job on my honda

turbob20
10-19-2010, 12:43 AM
shoot scotty an e-mail or call the # at digitalboxtuning.com. he is a damn great tuner and reasonably priced at chipping ecus as well. he does crome,hondata ect.. pick your poison. he got me 278 hp on a stock cr-vtec on 10 psi with stock evo 560 pink injectors with resistor box pr peak n hold wired by me crome gold walbro 255 and a command flow fuel regulator through a 3" side exit exhaust made by me! as i grew above 320 hp stock axles and differentials became marginal for reliability so i went type r tranny ls 5th with a quaiffe lsd with a clutch masters fx 500 kit. good luck with you build!