PDA

View Full Version : computer problems.

Arm&hammer
06-17-2010, 10:20 PM
I have a windows vista computer.
This morning the i turned the computer off and when i turned it on the computer loads up but when it gets to where the login screen it is just a black screen with the cursor.
Anybody know what might be wrong?

94_teg_ls
06-17-2010, 10:34 PM
how is your video card it could be over heating after being on for a minute other than that a start up issue use your start up recovery

Arm&hammer
06-17-2010, 10:56 PM
It does the same thing in safe mode. I was thinking that it could be the video card but idk how to check.

94_teg_ls
06-19-2010, 05:13 PM
is your video card onboard?

whats your computers model?

civicturbo10
06-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Well, i had a similar prob recently. I just reinstalled windows on top. I was running outdated firewall / antivirus software. Must have gotten something recently. Since the new software no probs here. How old is your protection software? Maybe HD went bad?

guinness
06-21-2010, 05:35 PM
You could always try a repair by booting with the OS cd/dvd and do a repair and NOT a new install.

Arm&hammer
06-30-2010, 02:03 AM
You could always try a repair by booting with the OS cd/dvd and do a repair and NOT a new install.

ok guys. I ran the startup recovery on my computer and it said it found the root cause.
It said there is no OS files on disk.
Repair action: partition table repair.
Result: failed. Error Code = 0x490
time taken = 5320 ms
what could i do to fix this problem?

Arm&hammer
06-30-2010, 02:04 AM

i got a torrented copy of the cd and booted my comp from it and it still would not work. I think i'm just going to buy a new hard drive but i don't have a copy of windows to install on the hard drive yet.

guinness
07-04-2010, 07:35 PM
can you run a disk check at all on your computer. actually, can you boot into safe mode or just at least get into the command prompt at all on your computer? if you can get in the DOS interface, make sure you're in the c directory/drive first of all. if not, type cd c:\ and that wil put you in that directory or where ever your OS is located. once there, just type chkdsk and let it do its thing. this will show you if a: there are bad sectors and if they are bad, it will try to repair them and b: if can't or wont run at all, then your HD is just fucked and you do need to buy a new one. let me know if you need a new OS and i'll see what i or my brother can do for you.

91LudeSiT
07-07-2010, 09:05 PM
ok guys. I ran the startup recovery on my computer and it said it found the root cause.
It said there is no OS files on disk.
Repair action: partition table repair.
Result: failed. Error Code = 0x490
time taken = 5320 ms
what could i do to fix this problem?

If the partition table has been damaged, it is VERY VERY VERY unlikely that you will be able to recover the current OS install. You best bet is to use a linux LiveCD to grab all the files you need off onto an external hard drive. Then wipe and reinstall windows.

PS this usually happens when the computer is turned off before it is finished shutting down, just saying.