PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Games in 3D, GOOD or BAD for the gaming world

TIGERJC
06-16-2010, 10:15 PM
The people behind the PlayStation have been proudly promoting their 3D wares throughout the year, but today at Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, California, Sony brought some of its biggest guns, as executives presented its new technology push.

Top Sony executives Sir Howard Stringer (CEO and President), Stan Glasgow, (Chief Operating Officer), Michael Fasulo, (Chief Marketing Officer) and Jack Tretton (President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment of America) all slipped on 3D glasses as they watched presentations from ESPN, the Discovery Channel and Sony's own internal divisions.

This meant visually dazzling the crowd with teasers for new movies like Men In Black III, Blu-ray releases like Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs and video games like Gran Turismo 5, WipEout and MLB The Show 10.

Presented on Sony's own 3D-ready digital projectors, scenes of college football games and Sony's computer animated films were impressive.

"When it comes to good versus mediocre 3D," Sir Howard Stringer told the audience, "you know the difference, Sony knows the difference. Good 3D is immersive, not jarring. It fuels the imagination and is easy to watch."

Stringer says his company is "listening closely to what our consumers have to say about 3D," while in the midst of launching new 3D Bravia televisions that run from $2000 USD to $5000 USD. That high price and some of the technology caveats named by Sony COO Stan Glasgow couldn't dampen the executives' enthusiasm for their flood of 3D goods.

Sony hopes that consumers will catch 3D fever with the same type of programming that helped push HD television, including sports coverage, Discovery Channel documentaries and video games. Sony Computer Entertainment America president Jack Tretton boasted that his company's PlayStation 3 was the "perfect delivery system" to bring that content home.

Sony has sold 35 million PlayStation 3 consoles, Tretton says, and plans to sell 50 million by March of next year. The device is about to receive a firmware upgrade that will let it play 3D Blu-ray movies and video games.

"As you know, PlayStation 3 played a major role in establishing Blu-ray as the high definition standard for this generation," Tretton said. "What PlayStation 3 did for Blu-ray, we're now prepared to do for 3D."

"3D gaming is most anticipated technology for the home to arrive on the market this year," Tretton claimed, adding "PlayStation owners are the true early adopters when it comes to cutting edge technology." He cited research that indicated that PlayStation 3 owners were more likely to have their consoles connected to HDTVs and surround sound set ups than the console's competitors, the Wii and Xbox 360.

Sony's banking big on that adoption, with 20 games coming in stereoscopic 3D to the PS3 in the company's next fiscal year. Some are 3D updates to existing titles, like Motorstorm: Pacific Rift and PAIN, while others are still to be released, like Killzone 3 and the motion-controlled brawler The Fight: Lights Out.

Tretton said that the company will announce more specifics on its 3D line-up at E3 2010, happening next week.

Early adopters who buy one of Sony's 3D Bravia sets will get two free downloadable games and two free demos for the PlayStation 3 that will showcase the stereoscopic 3D capabilities of the console.

And if that's not enough to convince consumers to jump into the 3D space, Sony's Michael Fasulo says the company will spend $100 million advertising its range of 3D products, from its TVs to its handheld video cameras to its dedicated Blu-ray players.

After Sony's event, I got a chance to play two of its new 3D PlayStation 3 games, MotorStorm: Pacific Rift and WipEout HD Fury. Both were great 3D technical demonstrations, with the exception of the odd, unsettling visual hitch. Along with its PlayStation Network shooter Super Stardust HD, the two PS3 racing games were some of the better 3D gaming experiences I've enjoyed.

Pacific Rift was the most impressive of the bunch, offering, in 3D, a better look at distant portions of the track. WipEout HD Fury flowed smoothly, presenting a spectacular sense of depth. Both had their share of distractions, perhaps the product of playing them for little more than five minutes each, my eyes still untrained to the pseudo 3D style.

With Sony's upcoming giveaways, its massive investment in advertising and 3D video game development, and a push from broadcasters like ESPN 3D—which launches officially later this week on providers that include Comcast, DirecTV and AT&T—it's clear that the company is serious about its plans to lead the pack in 3D.

http://kotaku.com/5559558/sony-shows-its-faith-in-3d

I dont think it will work properly and seems like a guaranteed headache playing in 3d. What really concerns me about 3d, is that developers will spend more time on that gimmick than gameplay and games that need good gameplay like Socom 4 will suffer I think

Maverick
06-17-2010, 02:45 AM
3d movie/games are shitty

JessAlba452
06-17-2010, 03:43 AM
If they can make it look good, then it might just be the next big thing! :) So far those 3D gaming monitors just hurt my eyes lol.

Got Milk?
06-17-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm just afraid that it will give me head aches. Whenever i watch 3d movies for little longer, my vision gets blurry afterwards and i have slight head aches, dont know why.

ISAtlanta300
06-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Go to Lenox Mall to the Sony Style store and judge for yourself. I think games will really push 3D into homes. People don't care to see fishes and balloons in 3D. However,play a demo of super stardust in HD and you'll be hooked on what is to come for the 3D world......

JessAlba452
06-17-2010, 02:32 PM
^
I may just have to go to the Sony store to check this out. At least there will be a firmware upgrade for current PS3 owners. :) Glad that I don't have to go get a "PS3D" <--- :D Love how it's backwards and forwards compatible haha.

ISAtlanta300
06-18-2010, 12:34 PM
True, true...... I am actually seriously considerin either the Sony HX800 or the HX909 as both are 3D ready TV's. The Stardust 3D Demo was actually pretty good.....

Maverick
06-18-2010, 01:51 PM
we have already been through this....http://thm-a02.yimg.com/nimage/870bc248cbf08edc

3-d games=fail

Z0_o6
06-18-2010, 02:24 PM
i wonder if my PS3 will work with a Mitsubishi 3d-ready TV though.... :/

VooDooXII
07-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Sounds interesting but I could live without it. I'm more worried about the point where games become so realistic that I get PTSD from playing Call of Duty 15.

Nemesis
07-14-2010, 07:36 AM
Two words:

Virtual Boy

Vteckidd
07-14-2010, 09:47 AM
FAD, technology i just dont think is there yet

ISAtlanta300
07-14-2010, 12:35 PM
It will really depends on what games will come out in 3D. Gran Turismo or MW2 or even Grand Theft Auto would be WIN in 3D.

The main problem with 3D or High Def 3D is the adoption of the masses. That is not there yet. We have forced too much on the consumer within the last 2 years. From DVI to HDMI 1.1. to 1.2 to HDMI 1.3a. Then we told them to get those converter boxes for the Digital TV Change. Then change your TV to a HDTV. Then change your amp to a 1.3a compliant receiver. Then change your DVD player to a Blu ray player.........

So most don't see 3D as a 'necessity' at the moment.. just extra fluff. They are barely getting to enjoy their new High Definition TV set, and we are already shoving 3D in their faces.... lol

Z0_o6
07-14-2010, 01:04 PM
BTW.... the Virtual Boy was AWESOME back in the day lol

ISAtlanta300
07-15-2010, 11:49 AM
I do see the potential for games to really push 3D... i mean people already bought those plastic guitars and drumsets, so what is an extra pair of glasses to play a 3D game? :)

Got Milk?
07-27-2010, 08:23 PM
You know what keeps popping in my head, the future. How the future population will laugh at us for using glasses to actually see the 3d in work. The 3d will probably be so advanced that you won't need the glasses anymore.

Deke
07-27-2010, 09:35 PM
I REALLY hope that it's just a fad (gaming and TVs in general). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it goes the same direction as the laserdisc (total niche market).

nreggie454
07-27-2010, 10:32 PM
Until there is an affordable 3D TV that doesn't require glasses, I think that 3D games will be mostly pointless unless you are rich enough to burn the extra dough for a TV that will be very obsolete in a few years.

I might get a 3DS to tide me over until that day.

MachNU
07-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Kinda a late post to this, but to me its about time. They will suck outright, but I think its a start of a possible transition into full world gaming. Might take 10-20 years to advance it but to me its a step toward full world virtual reality gaming.

JITB
07-29-2010, 12:52 PM
i just think they skipped a few steps they need to master the HD realm first, before taking on the 3d world. most games arent even HD now..too much too soon...

VooDooXII
08-07-2010, 01:22 AM
I sampled Motor Storm: Pacific Rift in 3D at the Sony place at Lenox Mall...kinda cool, but not all that. It just felt as if the image wouldn't sit still. Not for me.

00 blk G20t
08-07-2010, 10:14 AM
fuck all this tv nonsense.....i want a fucking robot.
http://www.allanjosephbatac.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/princess-leia.jpg