PDA

View Full Version : Garmin gps traffic updates

jedc
06-15-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm going to be purchasing a Garmin gps soon. I am looking at the 255w and 255wt(traffic model). I'm just wondering how useful the traffic updates are in navigating around Atlanta traffic. Is Atlanta traffic something you just get used to and learn to avoid at certain times of the day, or is it also spontaneous which the garmin could help with?

blacknightteg
06-15-2010, 11:10 AM
dude i sell those things on a daily basis....the traffic is not worth it. the updates are every 15 30 minutes and their not really that accurate...you also have adds that pop up in the middle of your route. they go away after a few seconds, but they can get annoying. you also have to register your unit to start the service so it can get a lil annoying.

id honestly recommend going with a tomtom, either the 350t or 350tm. the T is their traffic version and their TM is their traffica n life time maps version. The TM is about 30 dollars more then the T it will run you about 229. the traffic feature on the tomtom works on the surface streets as well as major highways where as the garmins are only on major highways. honestly tomtom is a better investment.

collins
06-15-2010, 11:17 AM
fuck tom tom... garmin is WAY better... and yes, i've owned both. tom tom took me to more non existant locations than i ever care to go to. got a garmin and that problem went away. i got my garmin a couple years ago and it came with 6 months free traffic updates (before it was included) and it saved my ass from being late to work a couple times (i work all over atlanta). my vote is garmin and YES the traffic updates are worth it.

jedc
06-15-2010, 01:11 PM
i am pretty set on getting a garmin but still unsure on the traffic model, thanks for the replies and keep em coming

civicturbo10
06-20-2010, 09:48 PM
I've had 2 garmins and tested a tom tom for a week. The tom tom sux arse. It's not as polished as the Garmin. It works but just annoying to use and the screen feels cluttered / smushed in. Go to the store and you'll see what i mean.

My old Garmin was awesome and a solid unit. It was built like a tank and had a smaller screen. 3.5" but was 99.9% on spot. Very rare crashes and held up to daily use very well.
My new Garmin is bigger and seems to crash more but once you figure out what to do ( needed to reset) you'll be ok. IMHO new stuff is not as solid. Mine has the traffic update and it has saved me a few times but is not upto par yet. That feature just seems to be vague and not on point most of the time. Needs more revisions before it's ready for mainstream.

Garmin FTW...

blacknightteg
06-20-2010, 10:13 PM
yalls models are probably two to three years old. those models were horrible. the newer models that have come out for the past two years are by far superior to garmin. more features are offered, a better mapping system, better traffic features. over all i promise you that the garmin is not the better of the two makes. garmins only have an eas of use factor. their traffic feature is horrible, barely ever works, the re-routing on it is horrible. i have not owned a garmin nor a tom tom, but i damn sure have sold them for the past 5 years and know my is. tom tom is by far a superior brand.