PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Step Aside Cadillac....BMW is taking your trophy

e30pwr
06-14-2010, 02:06 PM
the "fastest production sedan" trophy will more than likely be taken by BMW coming in 2012, news indicates that a Twin Turbo V8 will be the powerplant of the new M5.

http://www.bmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7540

F10 strasse-blaster hits the pavement in 2012

No matter how fast you are, there's always some guy who thinks he's faster.

And sometimes he is.

In the face of Bob Lutz's claim about the Cadillac CTS-V being the fastest sedan in the world last year—at least of the cars in attendance at the CTS-V road course challenge—BMW has announced that the 2012 M5 will feature a twin-turbocharged V8.The next M5 will have an engine quite different from the E34 M5's naturally-aspirated six.

The 4.4-liter V8 found in the X5 M and X6 M super-SAVs will to get a boost from 555 horsepower to around 580 or 600; the V8 will replace the 500-hp V10 used in the E60 M5. That's just the starting point, of course; once you turbocharge an engine, other horses can mysteriously appear in large numbers.

In any event, BMW is upping the ante in this super-competitive class, having enjoyed supremacy among the fast luxo sedans since the first M5.—Paul Duchene

cjhutch
06-15-2010, 12:09 AM
That's not surprising, you're looking at two years of development time which is a long time in the current automotive market. It's pretty clear the Cadillac still has more power available using the same engine as the ZR1 which makes 640hp in that car. Regardless the BMW is still going to cost $20,000 more than the CTS-V and it won't be $20,000 more car. I really like BMW's, but they are going in the wrong direction now with their product development.

Elbow
06-15-2010, 06:56 AM
I'd still MUCH rather have the Cadillac.

OnURleft
06-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Subjective argument but i'll play ball

It never de-throwned it to begin with if you ask me....
I'm a fan of more impressive engineering and the BMW impresses me much more
-10 throttle bodies
-8300RPM
-204mph de-limited
-V10
-7 gear sequential transmission
-The MOST communicative chassis of any big sedan
This is automtive SEX that will never see again with the current government regulations. CARS LIKE THIS, pure all motor interal combustion gods are disappearing and this is a prime example of one of the best examples of its time. Exotic soul, wrapped in 4 door German quality.

You can argue for the Cadillacs and cry about the Nurb times, or you can find out like I did and see for yourself.
Pro drivers in both cars, the Cadillac's superior corner exiting speed (torque) will get it away from the M5 on some tracks but only by about .4-.8 seconds per lap. Keep in mind it has magnetic suspension, and more torque (yes it's faster coming out of turn). But personally, if you know driving, trail braking inn at an insane rate of speed is much more fun then coming out fast, this is where the M5 shines, despite an old chassis that was eveloped in 2002-2004 that still shines against newer, less communicative, more powerful cars.

Worth the $20,00 extra? I.M.O Absolutely, i'm not happy with just a "number"

Nothing will compete with the F10 for a significantly long time except Porsche. GM's probably won't let their performance department go after something that crazy

seanrg1116
06-17-2010, 01:06 AM
I would just rather say i have a BMW than a Cadillac.

Ever seen the Reviews of the first CTS-V?????

I guess im a fanboy of BMW even though I dont own one

Z0_o6
06-17-2010, 01:08 PM
i love both cars. For me it comes down to being able to understand and work on it myself, as a mechanic. For that, the CTS-V gets the vote from me, because being a nice ass car that they shoved a big nasty supercharged hotrod engine into just has such appeal. Then there's the hidden potential of the ZR1 engine's modification response... but hey I wouldn't turn EITHER of them down!

e30pwr
06-17-2010, 02:23 PM
I'd still MUCH rather have the Cadillac.

please do elaborate.

I'd turn neither down, but i like bmw's and from what i've seen come from the n54 motor in the new 335/135 i have a feeling this new motor is going to be able to keep up with the zr1 motors development.