PDA

View Full Version : Music Suggestions for good old school rap groups/songs?

VTECking
06-09-2010, 09:47 PM
So I am just now getting into old school rap because I am tired of every modern day rap song being about the same shit. I dont know any good old school rap songs or groups at all so could yall give me some suggestions please? Thanks yall!

quickdodgeŽ
06-10-2010, 02:13 AM
Anything by the following artists: Grandmaster Flash, Kool Moe Dee, Kurtis Blow, Run DMC, Treacherous Three, Salt N Pepa, Fat Boys, Dougie Fresh, Mantronix, Kool G Rap, Planet Patrol, Schooly D, The Real Roxanne, UTFO and Whodini. Tere are so much more, but hit up YouTube for some videos of these folks. You know I could on and on for days with this. Later, QD.

00 blk G20t
06-10-2010, 06:32 AM
KRS-ONE

VTECking
06-11-2010, 12:19 PM
aight, thanks qd!

r_Senik
06-11-2010, 02:40 PM
geto boys- mind playin tricks on me

Demsum
06-12-2010, 02:31 AM
Considering your age and what you may be use to hearing, I would not recommend Krs-One or most of the stuff QD named. I'm 25 and at one point felt the way that you do now. When I went back and listened to most of the old stuff I was like yeah some of this is great, but older doesn't mean better. I would recommend Gangstarr, Ice Cube, Big daddy Kane, Black Moon, Biggie, Outkast, and Goodie Mob. When you go back to far the production isn't up to par with today's, and that will bore you before you can get into what the artist is saying. People love to say today's rappers lack lyrical content, but it's all about what you expose yourself to. I'm not saying my list is the best, but it's hard to go from Drake, lil' wayne, and Jeezy, to Run DMC and Salt N Pepa. On the other hand I do think that listening to Krs-one will turn you off to the whole thing, because outside of new york he is making nobody's top ten list.

quickdodgeŽ
06-12-2010, 02:35 AM
Considering your age and what you may be use to hearing, I would not recommend Krs-One or most of the stuff QD named. I'm 25 and at one point felt the way that you do now. When I went back and listened to most of the old stuff I was like yeah some of this is great, but older doesn't mean better. I would recommend Gangstarr, Ice Cube, Big daddy Kane, Black Moon, Biggie, Outkast, and Goodie Mob. When you go back to far the production isn't up to par with today's, and that will bore you before you can get into what the artist is saying. People love to say today's rappers lack lyrical content, but it's all about what you expose yourself to. I'm not saying my list is the best, but it's hard to go from Drake, lil' wayne, and Jeezy, to Run DMC and Salt N Pepa. On the other hand I do think that listening to Krs-one will turn you off to the whole thing, because outside of new york he is making nobody's top ten list.

You don't know very much about rap, do you? Later, QD.

Demsum
06-12-2010, 11:53 AM
You don't know very much about rap, do you? Later, QD.

I expected that response, because you seem to lack the ability to see things from multiple view points. Being an 18 year old means when he was 2 Outkast first album dropped, meaning his generation probably considers them old school and may not have listened to it yet. If you don't agree with my Krs-one comments consider the fact that he blew up on "the bridge is over", which is a good dis track, but Ice Cube's "no vaseline" was probably the best dis record ever and he has better albums. You have to be more specific when trying to discredit someones opinion of music. I could go on and on defending myself, but in the end it's just my opinion against another one.

quickdodgeŽ
06-12-2010, 12:03 PM
but in the end it's just my opinion against another one.

You're right. And I have no need to discredit you because you're doing that to yourself. All I can do is elaborate on how you're discrediting yourself.

I gave the guy what he asked for. You tried to discredit someone that has obvious knowledge with what's he's talking about.

Outkast, Biggie, Goodie Mob are NOT old school by any means. Later, QD.

cjhutch
06-12-2010, 09:53 PM
I would like to add some names to the list.

Dana Dane- great storyteller
Slick Rick- great storyteller
Old LL Cool J- I'm Bad is one of my favorite tracks of all time.
Beastie Boys
A Tribe Called Quest
Wu Tang Clan
Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth
MC Lyte- Best female rapper ever, could kill most of the dudes on the mic.

These are all artist I listen to on the regular. Honorable mention goes to Shyheim, not really old school, but hasn't been relevant in 10+ years and he had some major tracks when he was running with the Wu.