PDA

View Full Version : 2002 RSX-S, Crank Pulley bolt. Holly crap, this shouldn't be this hard.

Blitanicle99
06-02-2010, 07:23 PM
So, pulled this engine out of this RSX. Did a timing chain tensioner and the clutch.

Threw the engine back in and it won't start. Turns over, getting fuel and spark (coils are warm) and clearly air and will not start. So clearly the damn thing jumped timing.

So, I have tool to hold the crank pulley. I have that connected to a 1/2" breaker bar and angled so its forced to push against the ground. I have done the whole, run 2 extensions out to a breaker bar and sit the extensions on jack stand for a pivot point. I have the breaker bar thats connected to extensions, extended with 3 additional "cheater" bars. About 8 feet total of leverage.

WHAT THE FAWK. This SOB won't budge. I've hit it with penetrating lube, and heated it up with my oxy acetylene torch and still nothing.

I've broke one 1/2 inch extension, twisted and snapped and twisted off a 1/2 to 3/8 Snap-On Reducer.

STILL NOT OFF.

I need ideas. I'm about to call a mobile semi truck tire changer guy and bring his 1" impact and rip this sucker off. F*** this car.

http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/45521/2423195880071333578S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2423195880071333578oyURHu)

Ideas. Help. Whatever. Just laugh if I care. I'm gonna just kick it until it cooperates.

oneSLOWex
06-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Do you know anyone with good air tools? Thats all you need.

Blitanicle99
06-02-2010, 07:34 PM
I have a 125 PSI compressor, and Snap on 3/8 and 1/2 impact drills. Won't budge. I even bumped my tank pressure up to 160 and still doesn't do a damn thing.

Z0_o6
06-02-2010, 07:53 PM
A little heat goes a long way. you can use a torch and heat the bolt to melt any loc-tite or anything just in case someone has put some in there before. I personally use a Snap-On XT7100 1/2" impact wrench at 150psi, however you may have to give in and rent a big all impact. Just keep at it, and you'll get it. The K20 crank bolts are among the tightest I've ran into other than those god-forsaken 2.5L 5 cylinder engines honda put out.

As far as the timing goes, you must be VERY meticulous when doing the chain on a K20 because the cams don' naturally rest at TDC. Did you use the colored links on the chain to help you make sure it was timed along with all the other timing marks?

Blitanicle99
06-02-2010, 08:55 PM
A little heat goes a long way. you can use a torch and heat the bolt to melt any loc-tite or anything just in case someone has put some in there before. I personally use a Snap-On XT7100 1/2" impact wrench at 150psi, however you may have to give in and rent a big all impact. Just keep at it, and you'll get it. The K20 crank bolts are among the tightest I've ran into other than those god-forsaken 2.5L 5 cylinder engines honda put out.

As far as the timing goes, you must be VERY meticulous when doing the chain on a K20 because the cams don' naturally rest at TDC. Did you use the colored links on the chain to help you make sure it was timed along with all the other timing marks?

I had my neighbor who is a Nissan certified tech do the chain tensioner while I worked on swapping out the clutch and went to get the flywheel resurfaced. Either way, the damn thing has to come back apart while its in the car this time.

AHHHH

Barefoot
06-03-2010, 12:35 PM
smalls did u cross thread that bitch putting it on. with everything u have done there isnt have been any issues gettings it back off.