PDA

View Full Version : Misc Comcast vs Uverse vs Dish vs DirectTV vs ????

ATK_Designs
06-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm on the market for TV service and wondering who's currently has the best bang for the bucks.

My requirements are:

Lots of channel line up for good price
HD availability in 6 rooms
Most HD Channels
Picture Quality
DVR at least in 3 rooms
Cheap long term runs.

I'm leaning toward Dish since they're currently have the best promotion + most HD Line up + Best DVR on the market. But similar to DirectTV, both require 24mo contract. I'm fine with it as long as I get what I paid for.

But I've heard Dish got bad customer service.

I've heard the hype about uverse but not sure if they support HDTV independent streaming from different rooms.

Any advice?

DarKStaR
06-02-2010, 02:26 PM
so you are wanting 6 tvs with hd correct? and how many of them are you wanting dvr on? Myself and Evil Goat work for Dish

ATK_Designs
06-02-2010, 03:10 PM
6 TV with HD.

I'd prefer 3 with DVR

DarKStaR
06-02-2010, 03:15 PM
you are going to pay alot with us if you are wanting 6 tv's with hd because of how our boxes are setup. We have dual tuner boxes which means you can run 2 tvs off of one box. But only the tv where the box is can be hd. Our special is up to 6 rooms...but with only 3 boxes...meaning only 3 tvs with hd. With Direct tv they have to have a box in every room.

ATK_Designs
06-02-2010, 03:18 PM
I'd be paying like $5/each room with HD box? I can get away with 3 running dual setups like you said.

DarKStaR
06-02-2010, 03:26 PM
if you wanted 6 tvs with hd you would need 6 separate boxes due to how are technology is on them. But if you wanted to do 3 hd tvs and could deal with 3 of them being SD then you could do that and have 4 rooms dvr. Not sure on the prices because i all depends on what you want in your package, etc...

-EnVus-
06-02-2010, 03:36 PM
DishNetwork FTW

ATK_Designs
06-02-2010, 03:38 PM
So can u give me a quote on the 3HD/3SD setup for the 120+ and 250+ channels with HDDVR?

DarKStaR
06-02-2010, 03:50 PM
I actually cant but if you call dish tell them that you want 6 rooms with hd and tell them how many dvrs you want and they can give you a qoute on which channel package you want. I wish I could give you a price lol. Evil Goat might can get you one but not sure if he will see this thread

-EnVus-
06-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Call DishNetwork and talk to them...
http://www-dishpromotions.com/default.asp?kbid=5200&mm_campaign=6cbd1cf973bec9ae47868ed7fb576473&keyword=keyword&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=content5&ad_type=placement&gclid=CPey3ISlgqICFRuenAodJmlwCw

ATK_Designs
06-02-2010, 04:25 PM
ahh..I though you were selling it. If that's the case, I'll just order it through online then. Thanks. So most votes are in for Dish?

DarKStaR
06-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Im just an install tech here in the macon area, but wanted you to understand what all we offer.

JITB
06-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Dont overlook Comcast... other than a bad experience after a real bad storm and we lost service for almost 2 weeks. They have good service. The HD channel selection is growing on a weekly basis! check them out! And its digital..so no satelites!

bdydrpdmazda
06-02-2010, 06:01 PM
fuck a satellite, cable FTW...

burnout1990
06-04-2010, 10:27 AM
FUCK COMCAST FUCK FUCK FUCK COMCAST, WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER HAD. The internet service and cable service was standard and nothing special and when I got orders to move from Augusta to Columbus I tried paying my bill and being done like you would with anything and they said when you have to return your cable box before we can close your account. I overnighted my cable box to them, got receipt of the delivery and they still told me they didn't get it , then when I proved someone at their office received it they wanted to charge me late fee's from the time I left the apt till the time I proved the package got there and then after refusing to pay late fees for what was out of my control I got the run around from them and then two weeks later after trying to resolve this issue actively I get a random call from a collection agency trying to collect for Comcast FUCK YOU COMCAST.....Dish FTW...Been with Dish for 2 years NEVER had a billing issue or complaint, i love the DVR, channel selection and I've never have any weather issues stop my signal....

cjhutch
06-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Good thread because I have been wondering the same. I am looking at Dish because of the dual tuner system. I have 5 TV's that need service with 2 of them that are HD. The other three TV's can run SD because they are rarely used. How do the dual tuner units work? I'm guessing that I need 2 HD dual tuner units and 1 SD dual tuner unit. How do you go about changing channels on the TV with no receiver and how are they hooked up together?

quickdodgeŽ
06-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Any advice?

I have been with Dish for about 7 years now. I run 4 TVs with 1 being HD. I have two dual TV boxes powering these TVs. I have the top level channel package (250 channels) and about 140 something HD channels and HBO and I pay maybe $90 a month. Honestly, though, I only have the Top Tier package because of the Boomerang Network. If that were offered in a lower package, I'd downgrade.

I've never had a complaint. The cons, really, are just bad weather affecting the signal. That's it. Later, QD.

quickdodgeŽ
06-04-2010, 11:35 AM
How do the dual tuner units work?

Say you have a TV in the den and one in the living room.

Say it.

SAY IT!!!!

You would have your dual tuner box hooked up to your TV in the den. You'll have two remotes (mine are marked 1 and 2). One for each TV. The 2nd remote is an infrared that travels through walls and the other (I believe) does not. So the remote remote will travel back to the tuner to change the channel of the living room TV. Both TVs will be on different channels as well. I'm not sure how to technically explain it, but that's how I can relate it. Later, QD.

-EnVus-
06-04-2010, 12:15 PM
I have been with Dish for about 7 years now. I run 4 TVs with 1 being HD. I have two dual TV boxes powering these TVs. I have the top level channel package (250 channels) and about 140 something HD channels and HBO and I pay maybe $90 a month. Honestly, though, I only have the Top Tier package because of the Boomerang Network. If that were offered in a lower package, I'd downgrade.

I've never had a complaint. The cons, really, are just bad weather affecting the signal. That's it. Later, QD.

Say you have a TV in the den and one in the living room.

Say it.

SAY IT!!!!

You would have your dual tuner box hooked up to your TV in the den. You'll have two remotes (mine are marked 1 and 2). One for each TV. The 2nd remote is an infrared that travels through walls and the other (I believe) does not. So the remote remote will travel back to the tuner to change the channel of the living room TV. Both TVs will be on different channels as well. I'm not sure how to technically explain it, but that's how I can relate it. Later, QD.

I have 3 dual tuners and 1 DVR and i love them. Also i had direct tv before and it was always going out in rain. With Dish i have never had a single issue in over 3 years no matter Rain or Snow :)

DarKStaR
06-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Good thread because I have been wondering the same. I am looking at Dish because of the dual tuner system. I have 5 TV's that need service with 2 of them that are HD. The other three TV's can run SD because they are rarely used. How do the dual tuner units work? I'm guessing that I need 2 HD dual tuner units and 1 SD dual tuner unit. How do you go about changing channels on the TV with no receiver and how are they hooked up together?

you would only need 2 hd dual tuners and 1 sd single tuner box. As QD explained 1 box goes into room A and controls A and B we have a piece of "technology" that lets 2 signals pass through 1 piece of cable, therefore not needing another box in room B. The remote for B works just like the other one you just point and click. It can do this due to it being a IR/UHF remote(means it can go through walls) and it picks up by a little small antenna on the back of the box. Remote A is a IR which means you have to point it at the box for it to work, BUT we do have chips we can swap out for remote A so it can go through walls(incase you want to hide the box in a closet or whatnot).

One thing you will hear some people say is satelite goes out when it rains blah blah blah. To tell you the truth, it all depends on who puts it in. These days they are real strict on how we install them and we get graded on it etc. Alot of people who have been with DISH for a long time have these problems due to not having the same standards back then. I know i work for them but Ive had mine for a year and it has gone out 2 times, once being rainging so hard you couldnt see the street 10 feet away and the other time when it hailed. Ive had cable and satelite and satelite is much better IMO and you get more for less..

Evil Goat
06-04-2010, 05:30 PM
and we now have the HD free for life promotion....pay $99 one time and sign up for auto credit card billing and you get your hd channels free for life....

gtikid
06-04-2010, 05:57 PM
You really can't get a better service than U-Verse. As far as DVR's go, they have the best DVR service available as well; you can pause your show/movie/sport event in your living room, and pick it up anywhere else in the house. 6 TV's with U-Verse 450 which includes ALL the movie channels (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax) and HD service is gonna run you around $147. Now, if you didn't need the U450, and were lookin at U200 (which doesn't include the movie channels) with HD and 6 TV's, you're lookin at about $112. There is also a current promotion giving you $15 off both those services for the first 6 months. So U450 will be $132, and U200 will be $97.

If you're a soccer fan, you get to watch the World Cup with our World Cup multi-view, letting you watch all the games at once. Pretty dope stuff. Of course, if you have cell phone with AT&T and decide to get U-Verse internet, then you would also get a bigger discount.

Can't go wrong with U-Verse.

ATK_Designs
06-04-2010, 06:41 PM
^I've looked into Uverse as well. Well, the problem is they can't find my address I can't seem to find a number to call elsewhere.

How to Dish run their cables? And how long does it take for you guys to run inwalls?

gtikid
06-04-2010, 06:57 PM
You wanna give me your address and I can try looking it up?

DarKStaR
06-04-2010, 07:10 PM
^I've looked into Uverse as well. Well, the problem is they can't find my address I can't seem to find a number to call elsewhere.

How to Dish run their cables? And how long does it take for you guys to run inwalls?
Depends really, If you have prewire...if not then if we can get under the house we can come up through the floor. Or we can come through the wall(outside to inside). And to go in the attic and run cable in the wall really all depends on the layout of the house and how hard it is to move around where we need to be in the attic.

ATK_Designs
06-04-2010, 07:37 PM
You wanna give me your address and I can try looking it up?

PMed

Depends really, If you have prewire...if not then if we can get under the house we can come up through the floor. Or we can come through the wall(outside to inside). And to go in the attic and run cable in the wall really all depends on the layout of the house and how hard it is to move around where we need to be in the attic.

You'd have to run different set of wiring because It's not p rewired for Sat, and I'm using cable internet, etc. as well. My house is actually very easy to run because I have the basement AND huge attic. Will you be using wall plates and stuff like that?

DarKStaR
06-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Are the rooms you are wanting prewired? Beside the room that has the cable internet, we can use that prewire. If we run it through the walls then yes we use wall plates.

ATK_Designs
06-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Are the rooms you are wanting prewired? Beside the room that has the cable internet, we can use that prewire. If we run it through the walls then yes we use wall plates.

They're prewired for cable but I rather not use that line because I have Comcast internet & Free cable. I just want an independent line for Satellite.

Also, will Dish charge a $5 fee per TV if I don't have a phone land line?

DarKStaR
06-04-2010, 08:24 PM
No there is no fee for the phone line like there used to be.

Got Milk?
06-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Comcast FTW!

quickdodgeŽ
06-07-2010, 12:39 PM
satelite is much better IMO and you get more for less..

100% agree. Much more for much less. Later, QD.

BUGMAN
07-09-2010, 08:19 AM
I have had em all and will stick with DirecTV. I can get an English speaking human on the phone in less than 2 minutes. Ranked #1 in customer satisfaction for many years and most HD channels. Also have more of the specialty channels that Dish Doesn't offer with their basic package. Still have Dish at our cabin but when December gets here we will be swapping it to DirecTV as well.

No offense meant to anyone but with 20 yrs. experience with cable, etc. DirecTV is the best I have found. Been a customer of DirecTV for 14 years.

BUGMAN
07-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Here is a really good honest comparison between the two. http://www.thesatellitetvguide.com/directv-vs-dish-network.htm

or

http://www.expertsatellite.com/directv-vs-dish.html

SPOOLIN
07-09-2010, 10:10 AM
I have Comcast for Internet and TV, i would probably never use another internet service but the TV gets me by since they finally added Speed HD and a lot of others they been lacking on. I agree their Customer service is the most horrible shit ever.