PDA

View Full Version : JL Audio w3v3

98ZX2
05-31-2010, 10:25 PM
What do you think of them? I am thinking about upgrading to them, and right now i'm running 2 12" cvr's.

b@d @pple
05-31-2010, 11:20 PM
lol thats definetly an upgrade

sina518
06-01-2010, 12:35 AM
great woofers

lovinmydodge
06-01-2010, 03:30 AM
honestly what is your budget? and what power are you throwing at these?

also what vehicle,? and box design ported or sealed?

because if they are priced at the standard jl stuff,,,, then there are many better output geared equipment that will look better and outperform jl for the same budget.

98ZX2
06-01-2010, 06:55 AM
honestly what is your budget? and what power are you throwing at these?

also what vehicle,? and box design ported or sealed?

because if they are priced at the standard jl stuff,,,, then there are many better output geared equipment that will look better and outperform jl for the same budget.

Well as for budget, maybe 200 per sub. The vehicle is a 98 Ford ZX2. The box is going to be ported.

slimm
06-01-2010, 08:28 PM
DD Audio (Digital Designs)!!! Trust me. theyre cheaper and sound effing GREATTT!!!! hit audio wizards. they sell them. you wont be sorry.

Z0_o6
06-01-2010, 09:36 PM
don't let the jl audio haters sway your decision. between the 2 choices given, the jl's will blow the others out of the water. don't bother hesitating, go for it you will NOT be disappointed. Some people forget this isn't always an SPL competition and that one last .2dB doesn't make a fuck.

98ZX2
06-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks guys, yeah I have looked into the DD subs but I love the quality of the JL's, they just sound so clean.

audiowiz
06-02-2010, 09:43 AM
I dont think anyone is hating on JL, they're stuff is awesome, the only thing I think anyone is saying is that with JL, some of that price if definately paying for the name. at the $200 per sub range, DD has thier 1500 series, which are killer. In the right box, they are punchy, solid, and got drop like a son of a bitch when you need them to. But, in answer to your question, the JL's are a definate upgrade from the CVR's

Rsporty
06-02-2010, 10:52 AM
I've rocked the CVR's and several JL's.
I actually think both are great.
You may pay more for the JL name, but remember this... JL subs have been in more competition winning systems than any other sub!
They've been earning that name for years and years.
If you don't care what other people think and want to save some money, though, you might want to check out Powerbass.
I've been beating the shit out of 2 Powerbass 12's with about 1800 watts for almost 2 years, now.
My system is always pumping LOUD and I've never had a problem and always get attention.
Just a suggestion.

audiowiz
06-03-2010, 09:47 AM
I've rocked the CVR's and several JL's.
I actually think both are great.
You may pay more for the JL name, but remember this... JL subs have been in more competition winning systems than any other sub!
They've been earning that name for years and years.

They may be in more SHOW winning systems, but not competition. I honestly dont remeber the last time I saw someone running JL In competition, be it SPL or SQ. All said, Im not knocking the brand, I just think the price is a bit inflated, but they do sound good and are built well.

yerrow
06-03-2010, 10:17 PM
but are not the end all be all in woofers

slimm
06-04-2010, 04:43 AM
I dont think anyone is hating on JL, they're stuff is awesome, the only thing I think anyone is saying is that with JL, some of that price if definately paying for the name. at the $200 per sub range, DD has thier 1500 series, which are killer. In the right box, they are punchy, solid, and got drop like a son of a bitch when you need them to. But, in answer to your question, the JL's are a definate upgrade from the CVR's

DD AUDIO!!!

lovinmydodge
06-04-2010, 05:41 PM
ok so you want a pair of 12's correct? and budget is 200 bucks per woofer, going ported on what power? because that also makes a big difference!.

now for 400 bucks for a pair of 12's I can think of at least 4 other companies that will be cleaner, smoother more transient, and still get lower, and louder, and be similar power and price!

the DD 1500 is a very nice woofer, will play smoother and more accurate imho for ALOT longer than the jl.

for similar power, you could run the Incriminator audio 187 series 12.

if you want more power handling. maybe something like this

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/12%22-Lethal-Injection-Series.html

or even this

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/Sundown-Audio-SA%252d12.html

there are the 4 mentioned above subs that will outperform the jl's in every way, other than Pricing. because we all know JL is overpriced

Rsporty
06-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Damn. Never heard of those, but their spscs sound pretty sweet.

LiveaxleLS1
06-05-2010, 12:15 AM
Dayton Titanic MkIII 15" will annihilate almost any JL around for clarity and sheer output... at a much lower cost...

20.5mm of xmax.............................................. . in a 15" sub...

lovinmydodge
06-05-2010, 01:39 AM
the subs I mentioned are subs that are not main stream, they are companies where if I have a problem it takes 20 min to speak to the owner of the company! and They always take care of their customers, The Sundown stuff is great, as is the Incriminator audio. The Flatline is by far the superior of the 12's I mentioned. and within your budget. The Incriminator brand's motto of No Crome No carbon fiber No bullshit is true. They make some of the nicest sounding competition ready daily usable subs on the market.

Incriminator even makes a 21 inch sub.... and its amazing. Most larger subs have a sloppy sound thats not accurate. The Incriminator uses Neo magnents that are alot more powerful. which eliminates those sloppy larger woofers.

The mkII is also a nice sub

Scott P
06-05-2010, 07:38 AM
I love the incriminator subs, It is what I am currrently running in my competition car for subs. The flatlynes were undefeated last year in SQ competition. including 3 world championships. That said, I would also look at the Arc Audio Arc series 12. Those are the only sub I would consider pulling my Flatlyines for. Output and SQ both are amazing.

lovinmydodge
06-06-2010, 02:04 AM
Scott, you wouldn't happen to need an extra set of hands at the shop would you? I'm in the middle of looking for a shop to start working at, Just figured I'd throw that out there. Feel free to pm me

hybrid90accord
06-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Xmas and paper specs don't always equal a better sub. I've heard great paper specs like the re xxx and death penality to the forum boner budget subs and yes some are great for the prices but doesn't always mean a customers needs and wants. Having a huge magnet, 4" xmax, and 1300watts rms doesn't always equal=better woofer. I'd rather have a musical sub like a ID or w6v2 that might can only handle 400-500 rms then some super woofer that sounds like sh*t but can win spl comps. Find out a customers needs then go from there, that's what I always do when building a system from selecting a headunit down to picking a box tune.

Z0_o6
06-06-2010, 01:52 PM
but are not the end all be all in woofers

YES THEY ARE. How's that VF39 treatin ya? I GUESS I could argue with you that Memphis subs are as good of quality as some of JL's offerings... :ninja:

Z0_o6
06-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Xmas and paper specs don't always equal a better sub. I've heard great paper specs like the re xxx and death penality to the forum boner budget subs and yes some are great for the prices but doesn't always mean a customers needs and wants. Having a huge magnet, 4" xmax, and 1300watts rms doesn't always equal=better woofer. I'd rather have a musical sub like a ID or w6v2 that might can only handle 400-500 rms then some super woofer that sounds like sh*t but can win spl comps. Find out a customers needs then go from there, that's what I always do when building a system from selecting a headunit down to picking a box tune.

Thank you. It's about what the CUSTOMER wants, not always what might be the absolute monster at SPL, SQ, or whatever. It's all about what people LIKE in their personal cars. I bought my 13W6v2, not because I couldn't get a cheaper sub that hits harder, or necessarily sounds better in certain conditions. It's because I know I can trust JL's reputation, and I'll be damned if I spend my money on something knowing its not what I WANTED. My W6v2 doesn't require a shitload of power (I run it with about 600RMS on a Memphis Belle) in a vented box built to spec, it hits harder than anything else I would even WANT, it's loud enough that I don't ever feel the need for any more, it sounds super clean to ME, and it has a little wow factor, just because it looks nice and clean, and yes *gasp* it is a JL. People in general know that that means it's a good quality setup that sounds good and makes ME happy. If some sound snob came up to me and informed me about the 15 other models I could have bought that would have done this or that better for $17 on sale somewhere, I'd laugh in their face and tell them to jump on a few of them, since it would obviously be the choice that makes them happy.

lovinmydodge
06-10-2010, 08:31 PM
well, i just mentioned the incriminator subs, as you heard the flatline is/was a world champ in sq, I know of a few vehicles running incriminator subs the warden line that are winning spl comps.

the company has built a solid reputation with its users because when you run incriminator audio, and you have a problem with any of their equipment, the answer and solution is one call away.

with jl audio, good luck. most of jl audio is overpriced,

i am not bashing jl, they do make a solid woofer and amp. and THE jl amp be its not the monster power that alot of companies are starting to build, they are amazing.

the subs are ok, i've heard some nice systems from jl.

infact my girl has 2 w713's, and 2 1000/1 amps. BUT

if you want sq, then flatline, want a nice entry sub, the 187, want a more spl style,