PDA

View Full Version : IS IT A GOOD ENGINE

atlstrong
05-24-2010, 06:11 AM
I HAVE A 90 HONDA ACCORD AND I BLOWED A HEAD GASKET SO I WENT OUT A PAID FOR A USED ENGINE IT CAME OUT OF A 91 ACCORD STICK SHIFT BUT I SHAT UP FOR 1 YEAR OUT SIDE BUT COVERD UP AND PUT AWAY FROM THE RAIN BUT STILL OUT SIDE IT MAY HAVE GOTTING WET FROM TIME TO TIME SHOULD I STILL USE THE ENGINE OR NOT

AnthonyF
05-24-2010, 07:31 AM
One hell of a sentence you got there.

To stay on topic, you won't know until it is installed.

-Ant.

civicturbo10
05-24-2010, 07:39 AM
yep you should be fine. Engines in junkyards sit for longer than that. And sa long as it was kept together and water didn't touch it. As a precaution change the major stuff before you drop it in... I always do....easier to change and degree of uncertainty of when stuff was changed....GL.

98blackcivic
05-25-2010, 12:15 AM
lol anthony

Bacon
05-25-2010, 02:46 AM
Why not just replace the head gasket? It's cheaper and easier than pulling out the entire motor.

Barefoot
05-25-2010, 07:04 AM
even with the motor covered up FOD can still get in. unless all wholes was plugged before it was covered up i would still pull the head and make sure there is any fod or rust in the motor.

civicturbo10
05-25-2010, 07:08 AM
Why not just replace the head gasket? It's cheaper and easier than pulling out the entire motor.

Of all of the motors with blown head gaskets, doesn't make sense to change the head gaskets on Hondas after it's blown. Chances of ruining motor are high and extensive damage is done. It's more cost effective to R & R entire engine. I remember hearing in the older stuff the head gaskets would let go earlier. And a change out was ok. Today's newer gaskets are tough enough to out last the motor and once they let go the motor has suffered so much damage, it's new / used motor time.

Batlground
05-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Have to agree, it should be ok if it was protected. It is never a bad idea to go over an engine before installing it though.

Umby
05-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Anytime you buy a motor without actually hearing it run you're taking a gamble. If you want to be certain about its condition you need to go through it.

98blackcivic
05-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Of all of the motors with blown head gaskets, doesn't make sense to change the head gaskets on Hondas after it's blown. Chances of ruining motor are high and extensive damage is done. It's more cost effective to R & R entire engine. I remember hearing in the older stuff the head gaskets would let go earlier. And a change out was ok. Today's newer gaskets are tough enough to out last the motor and once they let go the motor has suffered so much damage, it's new / used motor time.

dude what?! that makes no sense...my 98 civic overheated for 5 months str8. i drove it everyday...finally i changed the head gasket..and it ran even better afterwards...your supposed to check to see if your head has warped in anyway b4 replacing the HG...and seeing mine overheated for 5 months, after HG changed it ran better than ever...

preferredduck
05-26-2010, 01:49 AM
you need to make sure there is no rust or anything even if it was covered. most motors you buy used sit but are usually inside and certain things are plugged to prevent any stuff from getting in there. if the plugs were left in it then thats 4 holes that were covered. it never hurts to check it out first. on a hatch i had i got a motor from pull a part with 111k miles on it. it sat indoors for a few months before dropping in. with it being out of the car if you have a repair manual and the right tools it won't take long to check it out and then i would do new headgasket and other seals and belts before dropping it in. how bad did the other motor overheat? if it wasnt that bad then the motor is prob still good.