PDA

View Full Version : Honda Civic Clutch and Flywheel Questions

djpikachu1
05-22-2010, 10:50 PM
I have a 98' Civic Ex with a D16Y8 engine and could you guys tell me installing a stage whatever clutch inprove perfomance, horsepower, torque, I just need some info please. I know its a stupid question, but I dont know nothing about this. I recently put an ebay clutch and flywheel (which was a big mistake) because I feel like the car is not pulling like it used to, I feel like going to nopi and buying a stage 2 clutch with light weight flywheel would that help? Do you guys know another place where I can buy a good clutch and flywheel? Any little bit of info helps thanks I have a little bit of rep and dont mind sharing, again thanks

civicturbo10
05-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Cheap ebay stuff sux arse. Ii'm gonna assume you have just bolt ons. I usually stay with the name brand stuff - Exedy, ACT, Comp Clutch, Southbend etc. Lightened flywheels are awesome. Motor feels like it's on it's toes all the time. For flywheels stay with name brand stuff too. On my DD hatch i have a stage 1 exedy with clutch masters lightened flywheel, works great. Try Honda-tech to find some vendors. Also, we have competition clutch locally. GL

Red_EJ1
05-24-2010, 11:27 PM
as for clutchs, the higher you go up in stages just means its stiffer, what this means is more power will make it to the wheels and faster. also when having more power you need a stiffer clutch, just means a stiffer presure plate witch is what clamps the clutch to the flywheel to transfer the power from the motor tho the trans, as for a light flywhell i would be careful with this on a stock motor or with just bolt ons, with a light flywheel you will lose top end the lighter you go the more you lose, my brother had a prelude and put a 8 pound flywheel in , it would not go over like 110mph it got there prety fast just dint have shit left when it got there, i have a 12 pound witch is like 6 pounds down from stock so you kinda get the best of both worlds, on a stock motor or just bolt ons i would go with a stage 1 clutch and just lighten the flywheel up a lil some machine shops can do it

Barefoot
05-25-2010, 07:19 AM
y8 making not power i would stick with a comp oem replacement or stage 1. call comp directly they are down in the sponsors section.

Red_EJ1
05-25-2010, 05:42 PM
y8 making not power i would stick with a comp oem replacement or stage 1. call comp directly they are down in the sponsors section.

or hit up jjspec, ia members get a discount

preferredduck
05-26-2010, 02:25 AM
the higher stage clutch is not needed unless you are making a lot of power, they also have a shelf life of abt 12k miles if your lucky. a 12 lb flywheel is what i used to have and now i have a little heavier one on it and i will say a 12 lb will rev faster for sure. i have an exedy stage 1 on my si currently and it holds great and is thicker than stock and comp clutch too so a longer life will be there. get a good brand flywheel though and i know it def makes even a bolt on motor rev faster b/c it takes strain off the engine.