H&R Suspension

FB RX-7
Ford 302 V8 Swap
MSD Ignition
Open Air Intake
Custom Exhaust
Custom Widebody Kit
16x8 Wheels & Tires

My buddy David used to have a Sentra Spec-V. He then got a 1988 RX-7 convertible. Now he has a FB RX-7 with a Ford 302 in it. The torque on this thing is godly. I got to drove it before we raced and was quite surprised since the car throws you back into your seat. Since he would never gain traction from a dig, we decided to race from a 10 roll. Here's how it went.

We roll forward slowly at 10mph until the light turns green. We both drop and taken off. My car squats and launches fairly well without any trouble until I spin into second gear. The RX-7 on the other, immediately lets out the sound of screeching tires as soon as he gets on the gas and he spins just as hard into second gear. He lurches forward and we're side by the side. I shift into 3rd, nobody is pulling. I hear him spin into 3rd gear as I shift into 4th. There's still no difference and we're side by side. I enter fifth and there's STILL no difference. As I go into sixth, he goes into fifth and he starts inching foward. I top out at 132MPH and he does the same a split second later. We roll up to a Chinese restaurant and immediately start making plans to get a camera.

This was by far the best race I've ever had. The entire race we were side by side by he started to inch forward once I went into sixth. We're sourcing a camera now and hopefully a video will be up soon. Look forward to it!

Summary
Both cars go from a 10 roll.
MX-5 goes well, spinning lightly into 2nd.
RX-7 spins tires thru first from a roll, then spins into second.
Cars are neck and neck.
RX-7 spins into 3rd.
Cars are still neck and neck.
MX-5 hits 6th gear and RX-7 starts to inch forward.
Both cars top out around 130-135mph.
It's a tie with a probable victory for the RX-7.

benwaballs
11-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Mazdaspeed MX-5
Custom Turbo-Back Exhaust
BossFrog Rollbar
16x7 Wheels & Tires
H&R Suspension

FB RX-7
Ford 302 V8 Swap
MSD Ignition
Open Air Intake
Custom Exhaust
Custom Widebody Kit
16x8 Wheels & Tires

My buddy David used to have a Sentra Spec-V. He then got a 1988 RX-7 convertible. Now he has a FB RX-7 with a Ford 302 in it. The torque on this thing is godly. I got to drove it before we raced and was quite surprised since the car throws you back into your seat. Since he would never gain traction from a dig, we decided to race from a 10 roll. Here's how it went.

We roll forward slowly at 10mph until the light turns green. We both drop and taken off. My car squats and launches fairly well without any trouble until I spin into second gear. The RX-7 on the other, immediately lets out the sound of screeching tires as soon as he gets on the gas and he spins just as hard into second gear. He lurches forward and we're side by the side. I shift into 3rd, nobody is pulling. I hear him spin into 3rd gear as I shift into 4th. There's still no difference and we're side by side. I enter fifth and there's STILL no difference. As I go into sixth, he goes into fifth and he starts inching foward. I top out at 132MPH and he does the same a split second later. We roll up to a Chinese restaurant and immediately start making plans to get a camera.

This was by far the best race I've ever had. The entire race we were side by side by he started to inch forward once I went into sixth. We're sourcing a camera now and hopefully a video will be up soon. Look forward to it!

Summary
Both cars go from a 10 roll.
MX-5 goes well, spinning lightly into 2nd.
RX-7 spins tires thru first from a roll, then spins into second.
Cars are neck and neck.
RX-7 spins into 3rd.
Cars are still neck and neck.

Wow i didn't even know miatas were fast. great sleeper
what 1/4 mile times do you get? not bad for just a TB :goodjob: nice race

Ran
11-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Wow i didn't even know miatas were fast. great sleeper
what 1/4 mile times do you get? not bad for just a TB :goodjob: nice raceHeh, a lot of people don't expect it from a Miata. It's why I love her. Anyways, I haven't had the opportunity to take her to the track yet so I don't know what times I pushing. Also keep in mind that he had gotten the car just a few days ago so he still needs to do some adjust to it. I bet that once he learns how to drive the car better, then he'll beat me. We're trying to source a camera so look forward to the video. :)

run4cover
11-07-2005, 02:36 PM
Hey Kazama.....are you the guy that I was playing with in Kennesaw week before last? (burgundy S13 240sx with big fmic...black guy and gurl in the car). That's a nice miata....nice kill on the RX-7 :goodjob:

Ran
11-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Hey Kazama.....are you the guy that I was playing with in Kennesaw week before last? (burgundy S13 240sx with big fmic...black guy and gurl in the car). That's a nice miata....nice kill on the RX-7 :goodjob:Nah, wasn't me. Maybe I'll see you around tho. :cool:

HalfBaked
11-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Sounds like you have a fast miata.

We should play around sometime.

Ran
11-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Sounds like you have a fast miata.

We should play around sometime.I consider my car to be quick instead of fast. I think that the result of this race was a result of him not being used to the car and the lack of traction. Still, I'm always up for some spirited driving. :)

KevinT707
11-07-2005, 06:16 PM
HalfBaked, you will rape the Miata. Miata is quick but we'll find out exactly how quick it is after the Rex is back on the streets :) (Bring the Miata to Commerce the 18th)

WINDSOR
11-07-2005, 06:25 PM
FB is the old little boxy ones right? What kind of 302 does he have in there? With a 225 hp HO version he should have killed you. That motor in a light ass car like that could possibly be a high 12 second car.

Ran
11-07-2005, 08:01 PM
HalfBaked, you will rape the Miata. Miata is quick but we'll find out exactly how quick it is after the Rex is back on the streets :) (Bring the Miata to Commerce the 18th)Commerce? What's going on the 18th? Something special? :confused:

FB is the old little boxy ones right? What kind of 302 does he have in there? With a 225 hp HO version he should have killed you. That motor in a light ass car like that could possibly be a high 12 second car.The FB is the first gen RX-7 with the fishboat tail and round flip-up headlights. And as far as I can tell, it's a 302 from a 5.0L Mustang Foxbody. I don't know what year or the power numbers. Either way, there's not a chance in hell that the car is running 12's. He does need better tires tho.

No Traction > Lotsa Power
:doh:

KevinT707
11-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Been planning a track day @ Commerce to get some IA folks to come out, this Friday & next (18th) is the last 2 Fridays till the track closes. I should have my car by the 18th

bambooi
11-07-2005, 08:38 PM
Mazdaspeed MX-5

Summary

So he was ahead right? That means you lost. It's ok. :doh: :)

1439/2000
11-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Fb with V8 owns you
Fc with V8 owns you
Fd with V8 owns you
Camaro with V8 owns you.

Don't know how that even happened.

WINDSOR
11-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Commerce? What's going on the 18th? Something special? :confused:

The FB is the first gen RX-7 with the fishboat tail and round flip-up headlights. And as far as I can tell, it's a 302 from a 5.0L Mustang Foxbody. I don't know what year or the power numbers. Either way, there's not a chance in hell that the car is running 12's. He does need better tires tho.

No Traction > Lotsa Power
:doh:

I bet it would run very close with traction. Hell,fox bodies with just bs bolt ons and slicks run low 13s all day long. An Fb is a lot lighter so it should run a lot harder. What kind of rear end/gears are in the FB?

HalfBaked
11-07-2005, 10:14 PM
A FD with a stock LS1 runs 12s I believe.

I'd believe that a FB with a 5.0 swap would run real close.

1439/2000
11-07-2005, 10:17 PM
The Miata runs like what a mid to low 14 sec 1/4?

The V8 in a tiny ass Fb should run low 13s high 12s no problem.

Dont see how it was close unless his motor is junk. Like 250 torque to the wheels in an fb is balls fast.

Ran
11-08-2005, 08:31 AM
Fb with V8 owns you
Fc with V8 owns you
Fd with V8 owns you
Camaro with V8 owns you.

Don't know how that even happened.1988 IROC-Z28 Camaro runs a 15.5 in the 1/4. It's a V8 and yes, I smoked it. :D

The Miata runs like what a mid to low 14 sec 1/4?

The V8 in a tiny ass Fb should run low 13s high 12s no problem.

Dont see how it was close unless his motor is junk. Like 250 torque to the wheels in an fb is balls fast.Yeah, I'm estimating that my Miata runs somewhere along a low 14 in the 1/4. His 302 feels pretty solid and the car has monster torque. As I stated before, I think the majority of this was because:

A) No traction
B) Driver

He hasn't had the car for long so I'm guessing that it'll fall into his favor once he gets some experience with it. :)

1439/2000
11-08-2005, 08:35 AM
1988 IROC-Z28 Camaro runs a 15.5 in the 1/4. It's a V8 and yes, I smoked it. :D

Yeah, I'm estimating that my Miata runs somewhere along a low 14 in the 1/4. His 302 feels pretty solid and the car has monster torque. As I stated before, I think the majority of this was because:

A) No traction
B) Driver

He hasn't had the car for long so I'm guessing that it'll fall into his favor once he gets some experience with it. :)

Let's keep that "I beat an Iroc" thing on the DL. Smoking a mid 15 second car isn't THAT incredibly cool. There are lots of V8 turds. I was talking about a stock ls1 car would own you.

Ran
11-08-2005, 08:38 AM
Let's keep that "I beat an Iroc" thing on the DL. Smoking a mid 15 second car isn't THAT incredibly cool. There are lots of V8 turds. I was talking about a stock ls1 car would own you.lol, yeah I know. But you said V8 so I thought I'd throw that out there. :lmfao:

bambooi
11-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Let's keep that "I beat an Iroc" thing on the DL. Smoking a mid 15 second car isn't THAT incredibly cool. There are lots of V8 turds. I was talking about a stock ls1 car would own you.
Of course. They run low 13s and trap over 106 on average. :crazy:
He is just posting a racing story. What is your point? :jerkit:

Ran
11-08-2005, 10:40 AM
He is just posting a racing story. What is your point? :jerkit:I think he's just trying to say that there are a lot of V8's out there that would quite easily hand me my @ss. Which is quite true. :tongue:

Still, the V8 in question was only a 302. The same V8 that came in the 5.0L Foxbody, and we all know that the 302 was a questionable engine at that time as some were really strong, while others were sludge. I can beat a stock 5.0L without a lot of trouble. I can also see the FB being slightly faster since it is a lot lighter, but it's not like the engine is built up. It just has a few minor modifications.

Pedal
11-08-2005, 03:37 PM
everyone jumping on this guys ass and he said that it was most likely the other drive like 80 times. give the guy a brake

WINDSOR
11-08-2005, 06:48 PM
I think he's just trying to say that there are a lot of V8's out there that would quite easily hand me my @ss. Which is quite true. :tongue:

Still, the V8 in question was only a 302. The same V8 that came in the 5.0L Foxbody, and we all know that the 302 was a questionable engine at that time as some were really strong, while others were sludge. I can beat a stock 5.0L without a lot of trouble. I can also see the FB being slightly faster since it is a lot lighter, but it's not like the engine is built up. It just has a few minor modifications.

what kind of minor modifications? Does the car have EFI or carb?

Ran
11-08-2005, 08:55 PM
what kind of minor modifications? Does the car have EFI or carb?It was fuel injected. Also, the mods are light and listed on the first page. Just an open air intake, exhaust, and MSD ignition.

Marty
11-08-2005, 08:58 PM
SA not FB ;)

1439/2000
11-08-2005, 09:29 PM
He is just posting a racing story. What is your point? :jerkit:

My point is obvious so don't ask, just read.

I'm not knocking the guy. The miata must be pretty quick to keep up with that kind of car.

Ran
11-09-2005, 08:22 AM
SA not FB ;)You know, I always thought that the FB designation didn't seem right. I guess I'm just used to hearing FC/FD all the time. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

moncrith
11-10-2005, 04:53 PM
You know, I always thought that the FB designation didn't seem right. I guess I'm just used to hearing FC/FD all the time. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

it depends actually! in japan and every other country all 1st gens were designated SA in the first two letters of the VIn #. But in 1981 the US changed the regulation for vin #'s and it needed to be longer so 1981-1985 1st gens are designated FB!

abridged:
1979-1980 = SA
1981-1985= Fb only in USA
:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Rx-7

oh and nice kill! lets hope he doesn't learn to drive and gets soem traction cuz im sure its freekin fast. And im hopping to see this interesting specimen around.