PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Mild D setup

joshk5145
05-20-2010, 01:49 PM
My DD is about to cross the 200k mark and I wanted to do a mild build/rebuild.

so far I'm thinking
p29 pistons std. maybe a small bore.
new timing belt and oil pump, bearings etc
looking for ideas on a cam and head work.
Or better idea for this build.
But on the other hand I have a b18b1 sitting in storage.
looking for ideas but kinda on a budget.

allmotorX
05-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Swap motors

Starrfire
05-20-2010, 10:05 PM
^^^x2 or if you like it just stay D. I think the Ls is better for a daily. Lugs the car around better while still getting great mileage.

bigdare23
05-20-2010, 11:38 PM
If you stay d, you need to goto the FI section LOL.

Jdm94Coupe
05-21-2010, 08:01 PM
^^^ agreed. you will be considerably faster with a mild d series turbo setup and if anything messes up or breaks. its cheaper on a d series then the overpriced b series parts you see for sale on here.

i had $400+ of head work on a d16y7 head and couldnt sell it for $100 on here, because everyone is so stuck on the b series and thinks the d series wont make power...... you will be WAY happier selling that LS motor and doing a mild turbo setup with a small turbo with quick spool, like a super 60 or similar .....

joshk5145
05-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the input. Right now I'm debating power and reliability. I know if I boost it I'd be hooked on building more and more. How much is involved with the B swap? With mounts, obd conversion, Trans and whatever else I need. Plus I could always do a ls/vtec or boost it if it comes to that.... I'd be happy with 175-200 Right now. which route would be best for this goal with daily use and longevity? I'd like something with alot of torque

Jdm94Coupe
05-22-2010, 06:29 AM
its only gonna be as reliable as YOU make it. this is one thing i can tell you. after you spend the $ to do a b swap, you could've built the sohc you have and possibly have a turbo setup done or have most of the parts........

well i can tell u this. i have a sohc and i made 260whp and 190wtq with stock head and cam

Starrfire
05-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Well since he already has the Ls swap I'd say he doesn't have to spend a whole lot of cash on it. Or maybe he just has an engine, in that case I'd sell the Ls for a few hundred bucks and just do a D build on the side. Maybe not turbo, maybe so. But don't expect the all motor D to be fast. Turbo D is cool. I built one for my friend and a current member of Atlanta still has it. It made about 260 wheel and it had a stock head.

Jdm94Coupe
05-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Well since he already has the Ls swap I'd say he doesn't have to spend a whole lot of cash on it. Or maybe he just has an engine, in that case I'd sell the Ls for a few hundred bucks and just do a D build on the side. Maybe not turbo, maybe so. But don't expect the all motor D to be fast. Turbo D is cool. I built one for my friend and a current member of Atlanta still has it. It made about 260 wheel and it had a stock head.

i agree. it depends on what all u have for the swap. i wouldn't run a ls tranny either, but maybe thats just me..... give us a list of exactly what u have and how much $ you will be spending and maybe we can throw out some better advice/opinions

joshk5145
05-22-2010, 08:05 PM
I've got a b18b1 but thats it. No tranny or anything like that. I want to keep it relatively cheap. I could throw anywhere between 500-700 at it but not wanting to go alot higher than that out of pocket. plus 200-300 for the b18 I'm guessing (if i stay D) so total around a grand. But if i swap I could sell the D and I've got a s20 Trans.