PDA

View Full Version : New Car....No Fitment or Stance. Made in the USA.

Elbow
05-19-2010, 07:40 AM
Just kidding! None of that!

As most of you have figured out if you've talked to me the only thing I care about car wise is if I can race/track it. I found this a few days ago and leading up to getting it has been hectic.

Blah, it's a 97 Neon ACR. It's been a race car all its life, it has a lot of race history.

My plans? To slowly add small things like updates to the cage, really nothing major. This is exactly what I want, I can invest my time in tracking and racing the car versus time and money building and sorting the car.

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy104/tibbsport/IMG_2215.jpg

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy104/tibbsport/IMG_2216.jpg

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy104/tibbsport/IMG_2217.jpg

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy104/tibbsport/IMG_2218.jpg

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy104/tibbsport/IMG_2219.jpg

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy104/tibbsport/IMG_2220.jpg

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy104/tibbsport/IMG_2221.jpg

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy104/tibbsport/IMG_2222.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics, I'm still in the process of some decal removal.

Nemesis
05-19-2010, 07:55 AM
so fast its going 40mph while parked?! lol

Jk, I really like it, I just wouldnt wanna drive it around anywhere but at a track lol

I know QD will like this.

Elbow
05-19-2010, 08:00 AM
so fast its going 40mph while parked?! lol

Jk, I really like it, I just wouldnt wanna drive it around anywhere but at a track lol

YES! Lol haha naw the speedo doesn't work and that cluster isn't from that car so there isn't the plastic face, I was playing with it.

This will be my DD. lol

MeFryRice
05-19-2010, 09:28 AM
I've always liked the Neon ACR. If it were me, I'd at change out the steering wheel to something a little less eye soring but otherwise the car looks like fun. The motor looks like it's pretty easy to work on too.

quickdodgeŽ
05-19-2010, 10:14 AM

Damn right I like it, lolol. I won my SCCA championships in one of these. Probably one my most favorite cars I've owned. Good pick up, Simon. And it being the ACR means there's no much to do to make it track ready.

The motor looks like it's pretty easy to work on too.

You don't even know, man. Aside from doing an oil change, I'm a complete moron when it comes to working under the hood of a car. I can't diagnose or fix a damn thing engine-wise. But about 9 years ago, the engine blew in my '96 and I had no money to have it replaced or fixed. You know a friend of mine (in the same mechanical boat as I) and I pulled that car under a barn at his wife's parent's place in Griffin and actually replaced the engine ourselves. We worked for about 5 hours only on Saturdays and it took about 3 of those days. You can't imagine the joy when we started the car the first time after we got done.

It was just as easy as we did NOT imagine. Lolol. Later, QD.

Elbow
05-19-2010, 10:45 AM
I've always liked the Neon ACR. If it were me, I'd at change out the steering wheel to something a little less eye soring but otherwise the car looks like fun. The motor looks like it's pretty easy to work on too.

Yeah I'm getting something smaller with a quick release, it seems most SS racers always just leave the stock wheel with an airbag delete.

It is a simple engine bay and the engine is brand new, the whole car has less than 50,000 miles on it and this motor was just entirely rebuilt. It runs like a new car.

Suspension is all new too, hubs, etc. It has adjustable Konis, sway bars, Mopar springs, etc.

Ready to go! It won a regional championship in SSC a while back too.

quickdodgeŽ
05-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Suspension is all new too, hubs, etc. It has adjustable Konis, sway bars, Mopar springs, etc.

It's cool because all those parts are stock for that car, lolol. Later, QD.

Elbow
05-19-2010, 10:52 AM
It's cool because all those parts are stock for that car, lolol. Later, QD.

No I mean it's been upgraded to different stuff, I know the ACR came stock with what you need to race but a lot of this has been upgraded beyond SSC a tad.

Siverprobegt
05-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Not a fan of that neon body stlye,but i know its a great platform.I like seeing different cars too,besides a honda.Good luck.Is the motor stock,or it has upgrades also??

Elbow
05-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Not a fan of that neon body stlye,but i know its a great platform.I like seeing different cars too,besides a honda.Good luck.Is the motor stock,or it has upgrades also??

It has a few small things such as lightweight pulley, intake, injectors, when it was rebuilt I think he mentioned a few very minor things. The cam is from something else I forget.

Drummerboy
05-19-2010, 11:44 AM
I may just be a stickler for organization, but I would clean up the harnesses (where they tie to the bar), use hard plastic or carbon fiber sheets to plug the air bag hole in the dash and rip out the AC nobs and do the same there. New steering wheel, working cluster (maybe just an after market tach mounted there?). Remove decals (like you said) and get lighter wheels, or clean those up.

I'm just making a wish list as if it were mine. I'm sure you'll get everything handled in time. Great buy.

quickdodgeŽ
05-19-2010, 11:53 AM
No I mean it's been upgraded to different stuff, I know the ACR came stock with what you need to race but a lot of this has been upgraded beyond SSC a tad.

I'm not so sure from what you've listed as the Neon ACR came from the factory with those Koni adjustables, sway bar and Mopar springs. I know I'm speaking blindly, but I have a feeling all that stuff is stock components.

Not a fan of that neon body stlye,

Oh man. That body trumps, by a long shot, the newer body style. Later, QD.

WalkS
05-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Um I thought ACR's came in two doors and with a dual cam? Correct me if I'm wrong...Cool car non-less, I would beat the hell out of that at the local auto-x...

quickdodgeŽ
05-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Um I thought ACR's came in two doors and with a dual cam? Correct me if I'm wrong....

Ok, I will, lolol. The ACR did come in SOHC and DOHC form. The SOHC was the sedan model and the DOHC was a coupe. Later, QD.

AltimaCharlie
05-19-2010, 01:48 PM
When i saw this thread i did some research on the ACR model. I had no idea they built a race car you could buy brand new. Just add a cage and race! Very cool, are there other cars like that? Anyway cool car man.

quickdodgeŽ
05-19-2010, 01:54 PM
When i saw this thread i did some research on the ACR model. I had no idea they built a race car you could buy brand new. Just add a cage and race! Very cool, are there other cars like that? Anyway cool car man.

When they originally made this car, only members of SCCA could buy one. That's a pretty neat trivia bit. The entire Neon line was made for competition..literally. The designers were approached by Chrysler to build a car that would compete in road races. The neon was the result. This is why it is so cheaply made with all plastic parts and snap on pieces. The entire top part of the dash just pops off, held in place by a few clips. Later, QD.

Elbow
05-19-2010, 02:35 PM
I may just be a stickler for organization, but I would clean up the harnesses (where they tie to the bar), use hard plastic or carbon fiber sheets to plug the air bag hole in the dash and rip out the AC nobs and do the same there. New steering wheel, working cluster (maybe just an after market tach mounted there?). Remove decals (like you said) and get lighter wheels, or clean those up.

I'm just making a wish list as if it were mine. I'm sure you'll get everything handled in time. Great buy.

I'll do some, the harness is mounted right it's just wrapped around a few times to keep the extra length from running everywhere. I'll worry about the airbag hole later, the A/C knobs will stay as the blower/heat/and defrost still work. Steering wheel will defiantly be put in, something smaller, maybe suede with a quick release, the fuel on the cluster works and it has an aftermarket tach, oil, AFR, and water temp mounted where the radio goes. Some decals will come off, more will go on. Then for the wheels those are fine for now, I'm getting some other cheapo wheels to put slicks on. Function > form!

I'm not so sure from what you've listed as the Neon ACR came from the factory with those Koni adjustables, sway bar and Mopar springs. I know I'm speaking blindly, but I have a feeling all that stuff is stock components.

Oh man. That body trumps, by a long shot, the newer body style. Later, QD.

Well you should take a look at it next time I see you. The springs may be the same but I've driven one other ACR and it wasn't as stiff as this one by any means.

Um I thought ACR's came in two doors and with a dual cam? Correct me if I'm wrong...Cool car non-less, I would beat the hell out of that at the local auto-x...

As QD said. Thanks, I may autocross it a time or two but road racing is more my thing.

Yeah it's pretty cool of Dodge. A few other companies were doing this in a way back in the day but more in the form of "trunk kits" where they would put a box in the trunk when you bought the car from the dealer with race parts in it.

mistergou
05-19-2010, 07:55 PM
badass pick up! I know you will have plenty of fun!

Elbow
05-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Thanks!

quickdodgeŽ
05-20-2010, 04:22 AM
Well you should take a look at it next time I see you. The springs may be the same but I've driven one other ACR and it wasn't as stiff as this one by any means.

Well one set of springs won't ride the same as another, too, man. But I'm definitely down to check it out. You know I love Neons. Later, QD.

matthewAPM
05-20-2010, 04:30 AM
Simon I fucking swear if you try and do anything to take this car out of SSC other than going STAIGHT to IT with it and you have all the parts ill kill you. All it needs is a steering wheel. DONT FUCK THIS ONE UP!!!!

Elbow
05-20-2010, 06:12 AM
Simon I fucking swear if you try and do anything to take this car out of SSC other than going STAIGHT to IT with it and you have all the parts ill kill you. All it needs is a steering wheel. DONT FUCK THIS ONE UP!!!!

LOL I won't.