PDA

View Full Version : cannot get car to crank! have spark..and fuel..i think

Nopiman
05-18-2010, 08:39 PM
so a few days ago my car started acting weird, it would take a few seconds longer to crank than normal... then the next day it was taking foreever and didn;t wana crank a few times... then that night it finally just would not crank... today i went to where it was stranded and it happened to crank... and i drove it home, as soon as i got home.. it wouldn;t crank. i stll havn;t been able to get it to crank.

I have replaced the dizzy cap and rotor button... also the fuel filter...i can hear the fuel pump running so i don;t think thas it but im not sure.... also i took a plug wire out and held a screw driver to it using a pair of rubber grip pliers and it shocked the shit out of me... lol so i;m guessing it is getting a spark(not doin that again). so i;m stuck... i;m 60 bucks out and i dunno what to do... could it be the fuel pressure regulator? cause i read it is critical for startup.. please give me any advice you have

preferredduck
05-18-2010, 09:42 PM
main relay, grounding???? my car used to take longer to start until i upgraded my oem grounds. the main relay does make some clicking noises from under the dash you can listen for also. if it's crappy grounds i can make you a nice gold plated connector old school streetwires ground kit.

Nopiman
05-18-2010, 09:48 PM
well i don't think its the relay because i had a problem with it a while back and i replaced it... when i would click the ignition over the check engine light wouldn;t go away... which was a sign that it was the relay... when i do that now the engine light goes a way... so it should be fine i would think... also the car has been fine for years with the grounds it has... why all of a sudden would it be messed up.. and why would grounds cause it not to start? wouldn;t it cause it to not even turn over? the car is turning over fine

Batlground
05-19-2010, 09:23 AM
The fuel pump may be running but it may not be making enough pressure. This could be a problem with the hose between the pump and the carrier. It could be the FPR but it doesn't happen very often. Is everything stock?

Nopiman
05-19-2010, 10:25 AM
yeh the car has 250,000 on the body... but i got the car at 200,000 and put a rebuilt gsr motor in it... i bought a new distributor when i put the motor in... the pump is the same one that was in the car, so no telling how many miles is on it... same with the fpr... i never replaced it... anyway of telling if the fuel pump is not making enough pressure or if its the fpr?

Batlground
05-19-2010, 02:52 PM
To check the pressure you would have to put a gauge in the line some where before the FPR. as far as checking the fpr you would have to have a gauge to tell, but if you have a gauge then you could pinch or disconnect the vacuum line going to it and see if the pressure does anything.

preferredduck
05-19-2010, 03:10 PM
well i don't think its the relay because i had a problem with it a while back and i replaced it... when i would click the ignition over the check engine light wouldn;t go away... which was a sign that it was the relay... when i do that now the engine light goes a way... so it should be fine i would think... also the car has been fine for years with the grounds it has... why all of a sudden would it be messed up.. and why would grounds cause it not to start? wouldn;t it cause it to not even turn over? the car is turning over fine

i say that because a car i did a swap in i let a shop put the motor in, i wont say which one but we found the problem at night when sparks came off the tranny b/c the did it half assed. i know a lot but the guys at battlground i know know more than i do. all i am saying is it can be something that simple sometimes. i actually made and replaced my oem grounds and i get a little better mpg and throttle response and the carstarts faster too.

Nopiman
05-19-2010, 08:50 PM
i took a plug out today and put it back into the plug wire and saw a spark... so its def not the distributor i don't believe. I went to change the plugs and when i pulled the number 3 cylinder oil was flooding the spark plug hole but i hadn't taken the plug out yet so it isn;t coming from the cylinder, its obviously from the valve cover. I mean alot of oil... any more suggestions?

preferredduck
05-19-2010, 10:15 PM
i took a plug out today and put it back into the plug wire and saw a spark... so its def not the distributor i don't believe. I went to change the plugs and when i pulled the number 3 cylinder oil was flooding the spark plug hole but i hadn't taken the plug out yet so it isn;t coming from the cylinder, its obviously from the valve cover. I mean alot of oil... any more suggestions?

there are seals under the v/c that go bad after time and are usually neglected. it would either be there or coming from the head somehow.

Nopiman
05-20-2010, 03:31 PM
sooo... i borrowed a friends distributor and it fired right up... i replaced the coil and ignitor in mine with his and it wouldn't fire up... i replaced everything back in his and it fired right up...soooooo i guess i needa new distributor.
thas weird that i was getting a spark but the distributor is still bad

Barefoot
05-20-2010, 03:36 PM
the cps was reading wrong. u had everything u needed just not at the right point in the cycle.

Nopiman
05-20-2010, 03:55 PM
will u explain the cps? not sure what it is

94_teg_ls
05-20-2010, 04:01 PM
crank position sensor tells when to send the spark

Nopiman
05-20-2010, 04:15 PM
damnit...so new distributor it is... damn u distributor king... it only has maybe 40k on it

94_teg_ls
05-20-2010, 05:25 PM
sorry been working on my jeep on a honda cam position sensor but same thing

Nopiman
05-23-2010, 12:19 PM
sooooo i got my new distributor in from advanced auto parts... and it wouldn't crank. W.T.F..... i couldn't get a plug to spark, so it had to be defective... my buddies worked fine everytime i tried it... so i took it back, got my money back and i;m gonna get one from distributor king i guess