PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors .40 cal ammo questions

EJdm
05-18-2010, 12:37 PM
What do you guys use for standard range shooting and for home defense??? And why??
I usually get the Winchester at walmart but then the other day i was there and a customer said that the Remington umc were better due to less powder when firing...im looking for something thats good for the money in both areas...would gun matter just in case i have the Taurus MILLENNIUM PRO .40 cal

patrick4588
05-18-2010, 01:59 PM
shot placement is more important than the type of ammo, but assuming all variables equal except the bullet..... you should carry hollow points; they do more damage. At the range i suggest shooting what you carry if you have the money for it, but if not just shoot whats cheapest and doesnt have failures.

SiRed94
05-18-2010, 11:35 PM
For the range I shoot Federal, that you buy at Wal-Mart. It's cheap, I've never had any issues out of it and they are loaded fairly well for range use. As for self-defense I use either MagTech and Remington Golden Sabers. They have given me the most consistent expanding results, at least from my personal field tests and they work well with my carry guns. But, really man you need to practice with whichever self defense round that you get, even though it is expensive and also make sure that your gun operates smoothly with that particular ammo. Guns react differently with different types of ammo.

patrick4588
05-19-2010, 01:35 AM
the best .40 round is the federal hst. best weight retention and expansion. if they made it in 10mm, i would carry it. The 180gr Federal HST is the BEST round you can buy right now. Price point is cheaper than most, and the performance is outstanding. They're just impossible to find. If your gun feeds them, CARRY them. If you EVER see them, BUY them.
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/saltySamurai/test_two/test_2_group_top.jpg
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/saltySamurai/test_two/HST_180_top.jpg
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/saltySamurai/test_two/HST_180_side.jpg

EJdm
05-19-2010, 10:56 AM
^^^does seem better...thanks guys....cheap ammo just really dirty and wanted to know what to stay from...i do usually clean it after every use...imma try to look for then federal hst if i cant then just what ever dixie ammo dump recommends....

mugenK20z1
05-19-2010, 11:21 AM
keep in mind that if you carry 180gr for personal protection its recommended that you practice with 180gr..... the projectile weight also affects shot placement.

EJdm
05-19-2010, 11:11 PM
so less/more grain adds less/more power??? okay i'll keep that in mind...

Danny
05-20-2010, 08:35 AM
so less/more grain adds less/more power??? okay i'll keep that in mind...

More like the grain (a unit of measuring weight) effects speed and thus trajectory (heavier the slower). The idea mugen is conveying is consistency. Use the same bullet weight for practice and defense. Just helps eliminate unneeded inconsistencies between shooting for fun and shooting to help save a life. Every little advantage you can get may help.

Also, i wouldn't worry about dirty shooting ammo. I like GA Arms "canned heat" for practice. Run what runs, avoid what doesn't.

mugenK20z1
05-20-2010, 02:30 PM
More like the grain (a unit of measuring weight) effects speed and thus trajectory (heavier the slower). The idea mugen is conveying is consistency. Use the same bullet weight for practice and defense. Just helps eliminate unneeded inconsistencies between shooting for fun and shooting to help save a life. Every little advantage you can get may help.

Also, i wouldn't worry about dirty shooting ammo. I like GA Arms "canned heat" for practice. Run what runs, avoid what doesn't.

Thanks Danny,

To make it simple, the factory ammunition labeled "180grn" will have a projectile at that weight. not the powder. with training and practice you can actually feel the recoil and distinguish the difference between 180grn and 165grn.

C.Smock
05-20-2010, 02:39 PM
all my questions were answerd.. +reps to all of the above, thanks guys!

StreetHazard
05-20-2010, 02:53 PM
ok this thread just made me feel like a complete nOOb, and I have owned guns for years.

you guys know your shit! +4 all around

mugenK20z1
05-20-2010, 09:46 PM
no problem....train well guys.

EJdm
05-20-2010, 10:46 PM
i enjoys guns and play with safety but never really care to know why bullted are made they are LOL....as long as it doesnt jam im good...standard or hallow, its a 40 its going to go threw no matter what...right??? all you guys are great thanks a lot guys....

Bacon
05-25-2010, 03:32 AM
The only rounds I use are Federal 135gr Hydrashock or PMC Starfires.

patrick4588
05-25-2010, 01:25 PM
hydrashocks are an outdated design. it works but they aren't impressive. Old-school mushroom cores can't compete with new-school star cores. Especially since the star cores expand bigger yet penetrate just as deep.
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/saltySamurai/test_two/hydra_165_side.jpg

patrick4588
05-25-2010, 01:29 PM
i enjoys guns and play with safety but never really care to know why bullted are made they are LOL....as long as it doesnt jam im good...standard or hallow, its a 40 its going to go threw no matter what...right??? all you guys are great thanks a lot guys....

not really man. a well placed shot is most important, but stopping your aggressor is priority. if you hit center mass with an fmj, its a high probability they will be able to withstand a few shots for a little while. could be the difference of having to dodge them firing back ya know? they could very well be firing at you as well, so stopping the attack as soon as possible is a big deal. hollow points do more damage and the absolute best choice for a carry weapon; also less probability of over penetration and injuring someone behind your target. although i tend to not worry too much about over penetration since only a small percentage of shots fired even hit the target, your misses go zooming right by anyway.

The Ninja
05-29-2010, 03:40 PM
the best .40 round is the federal hst. best weight retention and expansion. if they made it in 10mm, i would carry it. The 180gr Federal HST is the BEST round you can buy right now. Price point is cheaper than most, and the performance is outstanding. They're just impossible to find. If your gun feeds them, CARRY them. If you EVER see them, BUY them.
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/saltySamurai/test_two/test_2_group_top.jpg
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/saltySamurai/test_two/HST_180_top.jpg
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/saltySamurai/test_two/HST_180_side.jpg

Do you have any pics/comparisons like this for .45 ammo?

patrick4588
05-30-2010, 10:54 PM
nah sorry man

Bacon
05-31-2010, 12:39 AM
That Federal HST mushrooms very similar to the PMC Starfire which is what I just replaced my HydraShoks with. Only noticeable difference is the Starfire mushrooms into five points where those HSTs open up to six points. Very good info you posted there too. :goodjob:

preferredduck
07-14-2010, 02:45 AM
i know this is late posting but i use and have shot a few items with federal hydr shok and the winchester pdx1. i will be getting more winchesther, right now mine is 180 grain but they do make a 165 graain, i's at bass pro shob and with all the ballistaics i have seen on them i will always get those or the federal.

Z0_o6
07-14-2010, 12:54 PM
I run the Federal HST's in my .40 Glock 27. Great round for self-defense.