PDA

View Full Version : #1 cyl not firing

WalkS
05-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Okay so I have a 89 CRX Si that sat for 9 years.

I got the car running, then...First the car was back firing on low rpm's, stumbling on acceleration, the #1 cylinder's injector was stuck, changed it out for a good one, and still has the same symptoms. So I re-did the timing (changed the timing belt/tensioner), changed fuel filter, spark plugs and wires. Still runs on 3 cylinders, and I know this b/c #1 cyl is not firing due to the spark plug looking clean as it can be new, but with fuel deposits on it (after I changed the injector). I have suspicion maybe the cap has something to do with it, or Maybe the ignitor/coil, but if the coil goes out...wouldn't I have no spark? I had a coil go out on me before, and the car didn't have spark period.

So whats your opinion about it?

p.s I might be looking way deep into this...it might be something so simple that I would slap myself for over looking it..lol

Barefoot
05-14-2010, 02:52 PM
cap wires plug. if u are 100% sure u have no spark. have u pulled the plug turned it over and seen if it has no spark or not. i personally think u have a dead cylinder do to lack of compression. just my sight unseen educated guess.

WalkS
05-14-2010, 08:35 PM
cap wires plug. if u are 100% sure u have no spark. have u pulled the plug turned it over and seen if it has no spark or not. i personally think u have a dead cylinder do to lack of compression. just my sight unseen educated guess.

I did that while the car was running...pulled the plug and arched it against the valve cover...got spark but barely compared when I pulled the other three..

And to be honest I was thinking I have lower compression, I just didnt want to admit it lol. Ill do a compression test to be 100% sure thats the problem.. thanks for the reply man!

preferredduck
05-18-2010, 09:49 PM

if it sat for a long time this can easily happen, esp if the fluids were never changed or you did not atleast start it once a month and drive it some. we have an 89 mustang GT 5.0 convert with 64k miles on it and it sits a lot but we change the fluids and run it alteast once a month to prevent this problem.