PDA

View Full Version : Resources? Modifying cars?

Julio
11-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Why do People who start of new into modifying cars always Start of by completely screwing up their cars? Im not saying everyone.. But in the most part most do.

With so much information out there today I would think it would almost impossible for someone to not learn about what products work and what doesnt...
If there were as much information 10 or 20 years ago or even longer as their is today you think there would be better?

I grew up watching my father modifying cars.. But honestly the looked weird. His Civic Was Crazy ugly but his 210 was pretty damn hot.

Today The car industries has reached grounds that they have never reached before, So why is it I keep seing so much crap.

I know when I got my license the 1st thing I did was completely riced out my accord and then riced out my old Civic.. But of course All we really had were Magazines.

Now we have International/national events, More magazines, TV shows, Movies, Car dealers offering more Optional equipment and the largest resource the INTERNET ( i think) Or are the newer generation of gearheads just not using the resources that are out there corectly ? I know some may say or actually Blame the wack Movies out there.. But I dont think thats enough.

Or is just a learning phaze we should all go through?

FYI.. Im not saying everyone starts of in the bad direction.. But most.. :D

HyPer50
11-06-2005, 07:54 PM
*shrug* I was never into car magazines... Pretty much the only car source I had was just from goin' to the track and seein' the cars there. My first car stayed stockish lol.... aside from the chrome prime wheels which were on it when I bought it... I was just so happy to have a car thats all I needed... it wasn't til I had a bit of money saved up til I bought a car to mod lol.

Hulud
11-06-2005, 07:54 PM
yea...

D16Civic
11-06-2005, 07:59 PM
man, im so glad i didnt start off like that, well, besides the euro tails, everything else has actually been for function

you do see a lot of that tho, it might be because before u can drive, most kids are reading the magazines and such and since they cant drive, they just want it to look cool and end up ricing their car out when they finally get it. I know before i started driving i used to want the body kit and big wing and everything on my car, but luckily, those feelings went away before i had the money to actually do any of it. thank god

SLOWR/T
11-06-2005, 08:04 PM
i wasnt a ricer!!!!!!

civic95
11-06-2005, 08:13 PM
I don't know it is true though. I had my ricer days. There are still things on my car I look back and wonder what I was thinking.

CSquared
11-06-2005, 08:20 PM
I think everyone goes through that stage. It seems you start off at a point where you are screaming for attention. These rediculous off the wall mods such as a newer supra wing on a 1989 pos camry.

I think it's because cars such as loud riced out civics are just blatantly obvious. So you mod your vehicle in their image, thinking that is the way things should be. Then, you go to a show or meet a real tuner, and see that's not really what it's about. You realize that modification should be done tastefully and it's the little things that draw attention. Like a really clean car such as an oldschool supra will get 10 times more attention than the same car with a primered bodykit, regardless of how much that body kit costs.

It's almost like you are growing up in a sense. Anyway... That's just my take.

quickdodgeŽ
11-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Most folks that get started in this now are the newly-licensed. They are too young to have the money(unless their parents do it) to go and get high-dollar, real performance parts. So they head to Pep boys and get the stuff they can afford off their Burger King or Wal-Mart paychecks. The APC wing, the neon lights, the double-blade wipers, all that shit that Pep Boys sells.

The people that have jobs that make money to buy this shit have no excuse. Later, QD.

Hulud
11-06-2005, 08:40 PM
:stupid:

5thgcelica
11-06-2005, 08:50 PM
yeah..what QD said.. im sure a lot of them want a lot of good stuff, but cant afford so they settle for less.

also they probably just get excited and go with what they first see.

who knows...

tony
11-06-2005, 08:56 PM
My G35 was the first car I ever modified, some cars look worse modified than they do stock, that is why I never even touched my 95 Corolla. With access to the internet there is just no excuse any more.

Chuckster
11-06-2005, 08:59 PM
my 1st car was a 88 civic and i riced it out jsut fo rthe fun of it. Cherry bomb exhaust midnight blue paint job with red pin stripes that R badge. Ghetto as system that rattled every thing in a 5 mile radius. chrome hub caps

my second car (92 integra) i actually liked but couldnt afford the good stuff so i did what i could, was riced out but no 10 foot spoilers and shit like that just carbon fider tails and maxxin 10 spoke wheels.

Hulud
11-06-2005, 09:07 PM
yup i believe everyone has dabbled in ricing

i had the stupid light sprayers (fucking dumb)

5thgcelica
11-06-2005, 09:25 PM
i had the stupid light sprayers (fucking dumb)

*goes outside to remove my green led sprayers off my CF hood*

HyPer50
11-06-2005, 10:00 PM
yup i believe everyone has dabbled in ricing

I haven't lol... Closest thing to ricing that I've done is the clear corner headlights on my current car.. And the only reason I have those is cause the originals had faded yellow and this is what they had in stock for fairly cheap lol..

Nismo
11-06-2005, 10:03 PM
I wanted those sprayer lights before everyone and their mother had them, but they wouldnt fit on my truck at the time. lol. I agree with QD's statement though about if thats all you can afford, then go for it. For each their own, for each their own

Hulud
11-06-2005, 10:14 PM
I haven't lol... Closest thing to ricing that I've done is the clear corner headlights on my current car.. And the only reason I have those is cause the originals had faded yellow and this is what they had in stock for fairly cheap lol..
http://www.impressionsareeverything.com/usrimage/rice.jpg

jk

Stormhammer
11-06-2005, 11:23 PM
depends on screwing up

like for me - my first screw up was stripping the carb on my '72 Charger... cause the fuel line screw was some weird double spinny thingamabob - and for some damn reason the left loosey righty tighty rule did NOT work

EX-Svic
11-07-2005, 12:51 AM
i riced out my shit back in the days with a rattle can i have no idea what i was thinking lol then i had to struggle to get my interior back to stock (tan) and it was not that easy to find the pieces all they had was black and gray but not tan,,,,,,,but now im unriced lol i know mostly eveyone on I.A. had something that now is considered rice.I never got a chance to get the squirters they were always sold out lol ......good old rice days like
the altezzas
the L.E.D. squirters
1 wiper across the windshield
rattled interior
fake vents
gay tint with sparkling shit
big ass wings
And other shit i still see on the streets you know add on to the list.......Peace