PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Stop having an ugly paint job continued...

spinks
05-11-2010, 01:06 AM
I saw the DIY for a walmart paint job instead of your ugly primer. Click for original DIY (http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?269792-DIY-stop-having-an-ugly-primer-paint-job.)

What some of you may not know is that with this same paint, you can make your car look like you CAN afford a paint job that costs a few grand.
If you did follow the original DIY on how to spray paint your car then you probably know that it's not the easiest to clean and in certain lighting it may not look so great, but, I will address that problem in this DIY.

First, you need to paint your car with spray paint. Just like the original DIY said, I chose White $0.90 Walmart paint. The cheapest, crappiest paint available. I did a primer coat with flat white to completely cover up all the different color values that were on my car.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/spinks4/Picture004-9.jpg

Then I bought gloss white, same walmart 90 cent spray paint, but gloss this time. Spray painted the entire car very very thoroughly. You should not be able to see through your new paint, I chose white which was the hardest, going darker is much easier and I would definitely recommend it. So what is so much different from this DIY?

Well if you did the first DIY right your paint should look something like this.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/spinks4/240/Picture064.jpg

Which we can all agree looks better than primer, but still doesn't look like a real paint job. This is the SAME paint, I have not added clear coat, it is not wet, and most importantly it only cost me 5 dollars to do.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/spinks4/240/Picture070.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/spinks4/240/Picture068.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/spinks4/240/Picture069.jpg
(Front end only)
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/spinks4/240/Newfrontend.jpg
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs164.snc3/19143_327619137362_584192362_4771639_3431218_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs298.ash1/22543_284568982362_584192362_4596593_2747263_n.jpg

So, how is that possible?
Well I'll show you.

First, make sure you have let your paint dry. 48 hours at LEAST is recommended.

After the spray paint you want to buy a pack of 1500 grit sand paper, and a pack of 2000 grit sand paper. I've used several packs cause I get lazy and want to use a brand new piece of sand paper every five minutes cause it's easier that way. Take out all the pieces of sand paper from the packs and cut them in half. Now the size of the sand paper will fit much better in your hand and you will get a lot more out of it this way. Fill spray bottles with water, put a few drops of soap in the water and shake it up. Saturate the surface that you've spray painted completely and start sanding! Continue to spray the surface constantly as you sand. You will mentally select areas of the surface you're wet sanding in your head as you sand. Each area needs to be wet sanded until completely smooth with the 1500 grit. You might think it's taking a long time, it is. You want to be able to run your 1500 grit sand paper over the wet surface and feel absolutely no friction. At this point you want dry the surface and get your eyes level with the surface you're wet sanding and check for any rough patches. You will almost certainly encounter some. I usually take a pencil and scribble on the rough patches and sand until all the pencil is gone. Once all the rough patches are gone you want to wet sand the entire surface with the 2000 grit for maybe 10 seconds in a certain spot and then switch areas, until the entire surface has been wet sanded with the 2000 grit just a little bit. After that you should have a very smooth surface.

After that you'll want to hand buff and hand wax the surface and it will look like mine. Do NOT use a power buffer on the surface and don't take it through a machined car wash until the paint has been settled for weeks. I hand wash and wax my paint anyway, but it should be safe after some considerable time. Bumpers are especially hard to get to shine 100% Metal surfaces such as fenders and doors are much easier to work with. The door that I pictured took 2 hours to wet sand completely, so if you think it shouldn't be taking so long to do, your probably wrong.

I hope someone out there does this, you will not regret your results. A showroom paint job from walmart IS possible. Stop driving around with that ugly primer ;)

allmotorEJ8
05-11-2010, 06:11 AM
Yes sir! Us 240 owners are always cheaping out on paint. I did the $50 roll job. For the time and cost it's definately worth it. Good job sir.

spinks
05-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Yes I found it funny that the guy with the original "cheap paint DIY" had a 240 as well.

oneSLOWex
05-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Looks pretty good. When you are wet sanding you might try to grab a couple stir sticks from home depot or somewhere like that and break or cut it in half then wrap the piece of sand paper around it. Makes it much easier to use and much more even when you are sanding.

spinks
05-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Looks pretty good. When you are wet sanding you might try to grab a couple stir sticks from home depot or somewhere like that and break or cut it in half then wrap the piece of sand paper around it. Makes it much easier to use and much more even when you are sanding.

Yes this def would help. Sometimes the sand paper suction cups itself to the surface.

xsingxhaix
05-11-2010, 07:48 PM
damn, this does look a 1000x better than primer, might try it one day.................

alex14
05-11-2010, 11:35 PM
Mad props to you sir. I plan on doing something similar to the hood of my Saturn tomorrow. I spray painted the whole car and for some reason the hood was the only thing that turned out awefull. I'm going to take rubbing compound and put it on a buffer with a foam pad on the lowest speed. I'll take before and after pics.

spinks
05-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Mad props to you sir. I plan on doing something similar to the hood of my Saturn tomorrow. I spray painted the whole car and for some reason the hood was the only thing that turned out awefull. I'm going to take rubbing compound and put it on a buffer with a foam pad on the lowest speed. I'll take before and after pics.

That may or may not work. The last time I buffed spray paint it went right through it to the oem paint. Then Again My buffer is one setting, really fast, and the pad is old and rough. Good luck!

murderrsiren
05-14-2010, 08:57 PM
sick shit!

Black4DrEK
05-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Looks pretty good

miragemaniac
05-21-2010, 07:53 AM
Awesome shit dude. But I read the other DIY and was curious.

Ok my car is factory clear on all but the front fender.It's got some rattle can clear that didn't come out too purdy.But anyway I wanted to paint the car red or balck or red with a black roof.Camaro style.The car as it sits it white,black replacement bumper and black grille.Its a 97 Mirage 4DR and,damn I'm taking forever to get to the point.But ok heres the question what prep would be needed to get the spray paint to stick?I'm thinkin a bare metal sand but I could be wrong.

loSiRcity
05-26-2010, 11:22 AM
I was wondering if this paint job could hold up against certain chemicals? what i mean is i did the same thing on some side molding and it looked great but one day i was filling her up with gas and it over flowed and ending running down the molding. It took the shine right off. Ive also heard stuff like brake cleaner, carb and choke cleaner, etc. will mess it up as well. Did you do anything to protect it? Or is the paint not affected by such things? I would just hate for someone to spend time on something and then have it get all jacked up cause they didn't know it would hurt it.

allmotorEJ8
05-26-2010, 11:51 AM
I've had gas drip on mine while I was removing the nozzle from the car. It hasn't done anything, and it's happened a few times.

greasemunkey
05-26-2010, 06:41 PM
very nice. If I take the time to wetsand it and prep properly, I always throw clear on top to protect it...too much time to waiste after a couple months. very nice though

FasTech
05-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Goodjob. But 240 owners still Love the teh cawk.

spinks
05-29-2010, 12:58 AM
Awesome shit dude. But I read the other DIY and was curious.

Ok my car is factory clear on all but the front fender.It's got some rattle can clear that didn't come out too purdy.But anyway I wanted to paint the car red or balck or red with a black roof.Camaro style.The car as it sits it white,black replacement bumper and black grille.Its a 97 Mirage 4DR and,damn I'm taking forever to get to the point.But ok heres the question what prep would be needed to get the spray paint to stick?I'm thinkin a bare metal sand but I could be wrong. A thorough cleaning. I'm no pro, I'm just a guy that's working with what he's got. Mine had a crappy wet sand with 2000 grit before I painted it, so you may want to run over the nasty spots with it a lot and just kinda scim across it with 2000grit. Good luck!

I was wondering if this paint job could hold up against certain chemicals? what i mean is i did the same thing on some side molding and it looked great but one day i was filling her up with gas and it over flowed and ending running down the molding. It took the shine right off. Ive also heard stuff like brake cleaner, carb and choke cleaner, etc. will mess it up as well. Did you do anything to protect it? Or is the paint not affected by such things? I would just hate for someone to spend time on something and then have it get all jacked up cause they didn't know it would hurt it.
I did this once and felt like an idiot, I wasn't quick to wash it off either, actually I never washed it off. It ended up staining but I still can wetsand it away if I want to. I'm just really lazy when it comes to my passenger side.

Goodjob. But 240 owners still Love the teh cawk.
Only yours =D

FasTech
05-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Only yours =D

I'm not quite sure how to respond to that. I guess.... thanks?! lolol.

spinks
06-01-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm not quite sure how to respond to that. I guess.... thanks?! lolol.

You are most certainly welcome.

SKUNK2GUY
06-06-2010, 07:31 PM
I'll give you $200 to just do this for me I'm lazy and suck at painting I did a shorty job primering my car so had my boy redo it

miragemaniac
06-08-2010, 03:10 AM
A thorough cleaning. I'm no pro, I'm just a guy that's working with what he's got. Mine had a crappy wet sand with 2000 grit before I painted it, so you may want to run over the nasty spots with it a lot and just kinda scim across it with 2000grit. Good luck!

I did this once and felt like an idiot, I wasn't quick to wash it off either, actually I never washed it off. It ended up staining but I still can wetsand it away if I want to. I'm just really lazy when it comes to my passenger side.

Only yours =D

Appreciate it dude. :D

JessAlba452
06-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Looks good! :)