PDA

View Full Version : b18a1 easy question

EJdm
05-10-2010, 10:49 PM
smokes a little when i start the car (white smoke)...seems like its burning oil bc oil gets low...question is, is it my valve seals that i need to replace??

B20B!Ithink?
05-11-2010, 03:17 AM
stops after you have started it? im not for shure but i have hurd from a few people if its at start up and stops then yes its valve seals but you need to ahve somone else confirm. sorry

jdmDC20
05-11-2010, 07:43 AM
if the valve seals on the b18 a/b motors go bad it smokes all the way through (depending on how bad it is) cuz oil will just continue to leak through the seal while the car is on and there is oil pressure... but in the case its not to bad, b20b up there would be correct... the car will run for a second, condition the seals and it'll seal up... check your oil, make sure theres not any water in your oil (it'll look brownish and milky) that could mean a head gasket problem, but a sure way to figure it out... do a leak down test and see where the air from the test is coming... valve cover - rings or valve seals, exhaust or intake manifold - valves

how many miles are on the motor?... previously rebuilt?...

general rule of thumb however is white smoke - coolant, blue smoke (looks white but has blue tint) - oil, black - fuel

EJdm
05-11-2010, 09:46 AM
dont know much about the motor its my friends car...he said he bought it and the owner said rebuild...the head looks freshly clean tho...