PDA

View Full Version : stupid laws in cali

EJ25RUN
11-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Found this on another forum

$5 million in federal money will fund a Sacramento, California effort to stop drivers in modified cars.

Unmodified Subaru looks modifiedPolice in Sacramento, California announced Wednesday that they would use $5 million in federal money to begin cracking down on auto enthusiasts who modify their vehicles. The money will be used to form an undercover "Drag-Net" unit to stop motorists who appear to be driving modified cars.

The concept, which originated in San Diego in 2001, has been spreading throughout the state and generated significant revenue for the California Highway Patrol and local departments. In Santa Fe Springs, for example, twelve officers on Drag-Net duty issued 300 citations and impounded 50 vehicles in just one weekend. Several cities have drag-racing ordinances that allow police to auction off seized cars and keep the profits.

Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.

In practice, "excessive exaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

Drivers of stock vehicles that come from the factory with some of the characteristics of modified cars have experienced harassment under this provision. One such motorist complained on an enthusiast website that the Calfiornia Highway Patrol was using these programs to make "driving while Asian" a crime, pointing out that the department's own website has several pages dedicated to Asian involvement in street racing and "vehicle modification."

Those receiving a vehicle modification "fix-it" ticket must visit a California Bureau of Automobile Repair office and pay a $35 fee to have their car inspected. If the car fails, a judge can impose another fine of up to $2000 for failing to meet California emissions requirements.

Source:Area law enforcers to receive training to combat street racing (Sacramento Bee, 8/4/2005)

post your thoughts

Vuongy_Dong
11-06-2005, 06:16 PM
that is some crazy information.

quickdodgeŽ
11-06-2005, 08:44 PM
This was posted a while back. And this has been done for a while now. Later, QD.

IntegraXTR
11-15-2005, 01:32 PM
still that is sum fucked up shit over there

Type-R
11-21-2005, 06:16 PM
That will never happen, that's like saying "We're going to create a law and stop the gangs in Compton"

imbosile
11-21-2005, 06:19 PM
how are racing stickers and guages in anyway illegal? thats bullshit....

Type-R
11-21-2005, 06:29 PM
how are racing stickers and guages in anyway illegal? thats bullshit....

Stickers SHOULD be illegal everywhere due to their extreme gayness and relativity to Fast and Furious

On_Her_Face
11-21-2005, 08:02 PM
LOL.. i've heard of some people getting tickets in cobb county for exhaust, but that shit in cali is out of control

Crazy Asian
11-21-2005, 11:26 PM
HAH I used to live in Cali and my friends exhaust for his Subaru Sti was too loud. HAH ya it's right under 95 dec and he was asian and the other reason was becuz his exhaust was a noise disturbance. F you..you should have pulled over the stupid ricer who drove by in his pimped Cavlier with system blaring, loud fake welded muffler, and his wing that looked like he can fly to Las VEgas....He took it to court and well to make everything happy he won. The cop blared at the judge but the judge said "we cant do anything becuz it under 95 db. Thats complient with the law." And trust me us asians in Cali have it the hardest were almost the same as the black CUZ OF THE FREAKIN POS.

Plus you do not know how many times I was harrased I got so pissed one time I took the cop to court. He told the judge I was racing....WTF THERES NO PROOF. Well the judge goes "well do you have proof that he was racing?" " I clocked him doin 75 on the freeway....." MY FREAKING GOD!!!!! The judge goes "Um officer there is no way to prove this. Oh jeez Im letting it go" and I bet you in his whisper was "What a dumb shit"

COGCaviZ24
11-22-2005, 08:29 AM
why you gotta pick on cavaliers? just playing, i understand. but yeah, that's the biggest bunch of b.s. although, i think, it should be illegal to put coffee can exhausts, wings bigger than a 747's, and more than 1 sticker 3" x3"(cause the horse power gain is ungodly) on a car, just because it's tasteless.

or they can pick up these laws:
it's (was) a misdaminor in hall co. to eat chicken with a fork.
You WILL get a ticket, in New York, for spitting on the sidewalk.

static
12-01-2005, 11:57 AM
That shit is bogus. Cracking down on modified cars is how low end cops get paid.

ChnkyLao
12-01-2005, 01:51 PM
That will never happen, that's like saying "We're going to create a law and stop the gangs in Compton"

^^thats fuckin halarious :lmfao: :lmao: like that will ever happen

but that law is fuck up :rant:

{X}Echo419
01-09-2006, 01:11 PM
:rly:
I thought Lagre wings were illegal?

So the cops impound the car. Sell it at auction. then pull the new driver over and do it again? This law wasn't written by the federal tax comission was it?

Tyroni
01-09-2006, 05:45 PM
This has been goin on in cali for a while! no more mods and the polices are train to detect aftermarket parts and they well impound it.. NO motor swaps too, not even and CAI on the car.. the only thing people drive over their now is cars that came with turbo from manufacture! They have people that do emission test to learn which type of motors should be in which car it came from or it'll not pass. I heard when u have a swap motor in the car, they'll impound it and cut the mounts and drop your motor out . At the Dragstrip... u have to roll your car in and can't even start your car up in the parking lot or you well get impounded too.

GsrTurbo320
01-09-2006, 05:51 PM
illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers.

hhhhhhhhahahahahahah

Kalifornia087
01-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Yes, California is a bunch of emissions Nazis... It sucks, because when i go visit my dad's house, i would like to have a car to work on/ mod a little, but i have to be so damn careful, i think i might just buy an old beat up truck to keep from being harrassed. It really is out of control.