PDA

View Full Version : So when did you move out of your parents house?

Mad Mike
05-08-2010, 08:56 PM
I signed the lease on a house today. I'll be moving out on my own in 2 weeks.:D Its a nice place with a private stocked pond, and its closer to my job and a lot of my friends.

Sorry I'm just proud of myself. 26 and finally moving out LOL:doh:

Elbow
05-08-2010, 09:00 PM
I don't ever plan on moving out.

quickdodgeŽ
05-08-2010, 09:02 PM
I moved out in 1988 right after high school. A friend of mine and I went down to Fort Lauderdale during spring break of 1989 and loved it so much we left that summer and moved down there. Bought a boat (that was our apartment) that we kept docked in Miami, got a job and went to college down there.

I actually now live in my parents house again. But it is an inheritance. Later, QD.

Me86Rob
05-08-2010, 09:12 PM
A year ago

cactusEG
05-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Congrats mike. Sounds like its going to be a nice place !

loverboy_gnd
05-08-2010, 09:20 PM
when i got my first degree, i moved out of Grenada realising that there wasnt much i could do with my life there, left all my friends and family back there, and went back to Brooklyn,(where i was born) worked as a technician and made some money while working towards my 2nd, then moved down here to Atlanta.

edit: Congrats on the place man

Echonova
05-08-2010, 09:26 PM
I was 17... Sooooooo couple months shy of 20 years ago.

jesus bonill
05-08-2010, 09:34 PM
i want to move out, but then again, I DONT!!
i love my mom and she always needs a ride to the doctor, and im the only person there everyday with her
....congrats on the new house, we should throw a party

loverboy_gnd
05-08-2010, 09:36 PM
i love my mom and she always needs a ride to the doctor, and im the only person there everyday with her

ONLY reason to be a grown man living with your parents imo, props to you for taking care of your mom

jesus bonill
05-08-2010, 09:38 PM
ONLY reason to be a grown man living with your parents imo, props to you for taking care of your mom

yeah man...besides, she bails me out everytime
LOL

SUBY_RUE
05-08-2010, 09:45 PM
I was out at 17 :/

1990wade
05-08-2010, 09:45 PM
i mean i can...but then i wouldnt have any money to spend on myself or my truck lol..

Humphrizzle
05-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Been on my own since 18.

Mad Mike
05-08-2010, 09:46 PM

same boat here. My mom is single and I have a younger brother and sister. I was going to move out and get a place with a friend but my mom got sick so I stayed. We then moved into a nice house and she couldn't afford it without me. Well shes better and is back on her feet and is wanting a smaller house so I'm moving out.

thanks everyone

Elbow
05-08-2010, 09:47 PM
As for me I was kidding I moved out when I was 20.

quickdodgeŽ
05-08-2010, 09:47 PM
i mean i can...but then i wouldnt have any money to spend on myself or my truck lol..

Kind of sad really. Later, QD.

SUBY_RUE
05-08-2010, 09:48 PM
really sad

Humphrizzle
05-08-2010, 09:50 PM
My mom moved to Utah and sold her house, leaving me homeless. I found a job and got my own place.

Elbow

That's called growing up. Face it. Get a better job or find a new way of income (legally) to afford hobbies.

1990wade
Kind of sad really. Later, QD.

sowwy i live a sad life

1990wade
05-08-2010, 09:52 PM
That's called growing up. Face it. Get a better job or find a new way of income (legally) to afford hobbies.

yea i know...might get some friends to go in on an apartment

Humphrizzle
05-08-2010, 09:54 PM
you'll regret an apt. houses are cheaper. and you can make noise.. and have a garage.. god i hate my apartment. it's nice looking but not what i want anymore.

Elbow
05-08-2010, 09:56 PM
you'll regret an apt. houses are cheaper. and you can make noise.. and have a garage.. god i hate my apartment. it's nice looking but not what i want anymore.

X2, or even a duplex isn't bad if it's in the right area.

punkr6
05-08-2010, 09:58 PM
moved out at 18, just as soon as I got a good enough job to do so. It's really weird seeing all these 20+ guys still at home these days...

Humphrizzle
05-08-2010, 10:00 PM
me too.. i had a few snags and stayed with my dad for a couple months while getting back on my feet but i've, for the most part, lived in my own place since hs.

loverboy_gnd
05-08-2010, 10:01 PM
yes getting an apartment is not smart imo, better route would be to save enough for a downpayment on a cheap auction house, and work your way up from there

1990wade
05-08-2010, 10:03 PM
might look into gettin a house...

punkr6
05-08-2010, 10:04 PM
might look into gettin a house...

15 yr loan FTW...

Humphrizzle
05-08-2010, 10:05 PM
zillow.com.. bunch of foreclosures. HOA helps out with down payments as well.

Echonova
05-08-2010, 10:12 PM
15 yr loan FTW...There is more truth in this one post than all the truth's ever posted on IA prior. If you can't afford a 15yr loan... You can't afford the house you're in.

jdm-civic
05-08-2010, 10:15 PM
i moved out right after i graduated college.......best decision ever!

jesus bonill
05-08-2010, 10:17 PM
same boat here. My mom is single and I have a younger brother and sister. I was going to move out and get a place with a friend but my mom got sick so I stayed. We then moved into a nice house and she couldn't afford it without me. Well shes better and is back on her feet and is wanting a smaller house so I'm moving out.

thanks everyone

just about the same, exept im the baby in the house, everyone else is older than me

Humphrizzle
05-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Hope i get the job I just applied for.. then i'll be buying a house.

quickdodgeŽ
05-08-2010, 11:15 PM
sowwy i live a sad life
Don't apologize to me, it's your life, man. Here's some words from someone who has been there and been on the very bottom and came back. Taking my small as hail check and putting it in my car and living a shit life. I was all about that, like you are now. But I spent myself into homelessness. I spent almost two years of my life living, literally, on Peachtree Street and Buford Hwy. Sleeping in bushes, abandoned, broken-into buildings, under awnings and just wherever I got too tired to walk from. Talk about rough. And all for not wanting to better myself to afford my life and a hobby. Or just my life alone. I finally wised up and got myself on track, got a damn good paying job to where not only can I afford restoring an old car, but I have a wife that hasn't worked in 10 years.

Think about it, man. Your life is so much more important than any car. Get your life on track the days of working on cars will be that much more enjoyable. Later, QD.

1990wade
05-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Don't apologize to me, it's your life, man. Here's some words from someone who has been there and been on the very bottom and came back. Taking my small as hail check and putting it in my car and living a shit life. I was all about that, like you are now. But I spent myself into homelessness. I spent almost two years of my life living, literally, on Peachtree Street and Buford Hwy. Sleeping in bushes, abandoned, broken-into buildings, under awnings and just wherever I got too tired to walk from. Talk about rough. And all for not wanting to better myself to afford my life and a hobby. Or just my life alone. I finally wised up and got myself on track, got a damn good paying job to where not only can I afford restoring an old car, but I have a wife that hasn't worked in 10 years.

Think about it, man. Your life is so much more important than any car. Get your life on track the days of working on cars will be that much more enjoyable. Later, QD.

i really dont know wat to say....i mean i got a good paying job now really for my age and in this economy..it just my dad just bought me a brand new truck and i have to pay him back the payments and insurance arent that bad its just im waitin on gettin a better job soon..hopefully in the next 2 months i will have it..my interview is the 21st of may lookin forward to it..

quickdodgeŽ
05-08-2010, 11:43 PM
I'm not saying you don't have a good job or a good paying job, BUT it can't be that good if you can't afford to move on your own and play with your car at the same time. Like I said, you have plenty of time to play, man. Do you really want to be 30 years old with a perfectly restored '67 Mustang but still have to let your Dad know you're going out for the evening? Being a teenager, it's different as you're not expected to leave the nest. But, according to your age, being 20 is getting into the next step. You're not to the point where you should be ridiculed for still being at home, but you're getting damn close. At 20, the focus should be the rest of your life and how it starts now.

Think about it. Buy a house now, at age 20, with say a 20 year loan. At 40, you're a homeowner outright. Still very much young enough to play (maturely of course). Not to mention having a lot of extra money to spare because of not having a house note anymore.

Trust me, you'll get much more satisfaction, have much more pride when you pull up in the driveway of YOUR house...no matter what you're driving. Not to mention the social life aspect. Do you really want to take your girl (or guy; depending on which side of the plate you bat from) to a motel because you can't take her home because your parents are there? Any kind of girl with class and self respect wouldn't like it, this I can assure you. Later, QD.

1990wade
05-08-2010, 11:49 PM
yea i have had this talk with my parents before......its really starting to sink into my head.i need to stop living in lala land lol

quickdodgeŽ
05-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Well please take my posts as more parent preachings as I'm certainly not intending on being that person. I'm just giving you advice as to what can happen and does happen out there (like you don't already know I'm sure).

By the way, good luck on your interview on the 21st. And good luck getting things in order. I look forward to your build thread in 2030. Later, QD.

1990wade
05-09-2010, 12:10 AM
haha ok 2030 it is...

jdm-civic
05-09-2010, 12:12 AM
more power to you! i cant wait until i get my first house! apartments are cool or whatever, but after all that money is spent on rent,at the end of the day, you still never own it!

blue94eg6
05-09-2010, 10:08 AM
i moved out when i was 20 out of my parents house and now i have my own house with my girl and my two pits love it very much.

Miss.Kayla
05-09-2010, 12:29 PM
i moved out when i was 20 out of my parents house and now i have my own house with my girl and my two pits love it very much.

:)

__oh and I moved out I guess when i was 18-19 with him ^^ and it is awesomee

Firefightin_tC
05-09-2010, 12:39 PM
I was 18...off to college....

Now I'm 26...coming back back from the Middle East with fat pockets to Mom's house until I'm ready get my first house.

teh bri
05-10-2010, 12:42 AM

DeeAOne
05-10-2010, 01:37 AM
To be determined.

Kevykev
05-10-2010, 06:10 AM
I kinda moved into my mom's house while already there.....

ok I bought it from her, I was 22. Back when the loan industry was BOOMIN'

30year, Wish I had a 15 but you can convert/refi- or pay extra toward principle.

tony
05-10-2010, 06:14 AM
4 days after my 18th birthday.. bought my house @ 23 and my mom came to live with me so I could help her out.

Z0_o6
05-10-2010, 06:22 AM
Moved out of my dad's house when I was 17. Just about ready to purchase our first home now.

ilovemyhonda.
05-10-2010, 07:48 AM
Moved out when I was 18, when I found out I was pregnant.

StreetHazard
05-10-2010, 08:01 AM
I was a terrible teenager...my family kicked me out at 16, I dropped out of highschool and moved in with a sister. That didn't work out either so I started "living" wherever I could, and doing whatever I could to pay for it short of selling my young ass...A transient, or even "street trash" I was called. I lived where ever I wasn't getting rained on. I slept in abandoned buildings, under peoples decks in their backyard and they didn't know I was there, but most of the time I was able to hustle up enough money to pay for those really shitty "weekly hotel" places. I spent time in just about every city up and down the east coast constantly on the move making my way to the next city on a greyhound bus, and not getting to comfortable ANYWHERE or have to many people in my life because of that lifestyle.

Took me some time, but eventually I pulled it together. After seeing close friends get shot and killed, others getting locked up in jail and seeing one of my "runaway" friends almost die of pneumonia in my arms while sitting in the waiting room at Grady. I decided it's time to stop fucking around....

I contacted my family and my gracious mother, that I still thank her for to this day! made me a deal. she told me...."If you go to college, I will let you come home". I was scared at first because at that time highschool was still a very recent memory, and I failed miserably at it. But I got my GED and took her up on the offer.

Not only did I enroll at a community college...(but it was a big deal for me) but I graduated 3rd in my class, I was so afraid at fucking up this last chance I felt I had....I fucking OWNED almost everyone in my graduating class. I did so well, that the school offered me a state scholarship (in support of the arts) which from what I was told was a very rare thing to complete my education at a very expensive, famous art school here in Atlanta I always wanted to go to called Portfolio Center...I graduated from there at 21. And have been on my own ever since.

the rest is history, I have a house, a couple of decent cars....a great girlfriend and a cool ass pit bull puppy. But mostly peace and quiet that I never had in my youth.

Elbow
05-10-2010, 08:04 AM
I was a terrible teenager...my family kicked me out at 16, I dropped out of highschool and moved in with a sister. That didn't work out either so I started "living" wherever I could, and doing whatever I could to pay for it short of selling my young ass...A transient, or even "street trash" I was called. I lived where ever I wasn't getting rained on. I slept in abandoned buildings, under peoples decks in their backyard and they didn't know I was there, but most of the time I was able to hustle up enough money to pay for those really shitty "weekly hotel" places. I spent time in just about every city up and down the east coast constantly on the move making my way to the next city on a greyhound bus, and not getting to comfortable ANYWHERE or have to many people in my life because of that lifestyle.

Took me some time, but eventually I pulled it together. After seeing close friends get shot and killed, others getting locked up in jail and seeing one of my "runaway" friends almost die of pneumonia in my arms while sitting in the waiting room at Grady. I decided it's time to stop fucking around....

I contacted my family and my gracious mother, that I still thank her for to this day! made me a deal. she told me...."If you go to college, I will let you come home". I was scared at first because at that time highschool was still a very recent memory, and I failed miserably at it. But I got my GED and took her up on the offer.

Not only did I enroll at a community college...(but it was a big deal for me) but I graduated 3rd in my class, I was so afraid at fucking up this last chance I felt I had....I fucking OWNED almost everyone in my graduating class. I did so well, that the school offered me a state scholarship (in support of the arts) which from what I was told was a very rare thing to complete my education at a very expensive, famous art school here in Atlanta I always wanted to go to called Portfolio Center...I graduated from there at 21. And have been on my own ever since.

the rest is history, I have a house, a couple of decent cars....a great girlfriend and a cool ass pit bull puppy. But mostly peace and quiet that I never had in my youth.

Much respect.

AdriSciontC
05-10-2010, 08:05 AM
I moved out when I was 19, then came back when I had to have ankle surgery. Here until I graduate college...

quickdodgeŽ
05-10-2010, 08:27 AM
Much respect.

I hate to say it, but I'm not buying it. Later, QD.

SouthrnStyle
05-10-2010, 08:45 AM
when i was 18

LizBiz
05-10-2010, 02:36 PM
I moved out when I was 17.

Elbow
05-10-2010, 02:42 PM
I hate to say it, but I'm not buying it. Later, QD.

Why?

5speed
05-10-2010, 02:52 PM

Listen to this man. I have been in the same boat. I lived out of a Mercury Sable with my mom and two brothers for a year. It's not fun and isn't a joke. My dad was in jail for countless charges, so my mom was the only one working. She couldn't even keep a $600/month rent and food for us with $10/hr. When I was 16 I was a little over 6 feet tall and weighed 130lbs. My two brothers and I ate one Totino's pizza a day. Split between the three of us, not each. I tried to find a job all the time but no one would hire me. Maybe me being closer to your age helps. I know how us young guys don't take heed on advice from our elders....lolol, QD. It sucks going from having anything you could ask for to absolutely nothing but a car for shelter.

blaknoize
05-10-2010, 04:02 PM
I was 18 when I was on my own. I didnt move out, my dad was evicted and didnt tell me. I came from work and found my stuff on the curb. I packed my car up and moved into an Extended Stay America off Jimmy Carter blvd for a month. I took 3 days off work to save a little money and went back to Portsmouth, OH, I returned on the 3rd day and went back to the same Hotel for another month Then moved in with an old lady (that my uncle used to live with when he was younger).

At 20 I quit work and moved back to OH, went to school, at 21.5 I dropped out and returned to ATL. Then I ended up moving with my dads "working buddy", left once again to returned too OH once more. Moved back to Portsmouth, OH at 22 then took the George Bush stimu-less check and moved to Columbus, OH and into my first place.

I am currently in my 2nd apt and am enjoying life a bit :D

RHD_Joe
05-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Moved out at 25 bro after college..

Elbow
05-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Moved out at 25 bro after college..

OT is there a thread with more pics of your car? I'm guessing that's it in your sig? I like it.

quickdodgeŽ
05-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Why?

I don't know. Just woman's intuition, I guess.

It sucks going from having anything you could ask for to absolutely nothing but a car for shelter.

You're exactly right. Back in the day, I grew up in a neighborhood that was THE neighborhood to live in. Where the rich people live. Through no one's fault but my own, I ended up downtown. You had it made, 5speed. You had a roof over your head (the car). I had nothing, man. Straightened my shit up, though, and now I'm living in the same house in the same THE neighborhood I grew up in. Giving my family damn near everything they want. Later, QD.

5speed
05-10-2010, 11:36 PM
I don't know. Just woman's intuition, I guess.

You're exactly right. Back in the day, I grew up in a neighborhood that was THE neighborhood to live in. Where the rich people live. Through no one's fault but my own, I ended up downtown. You had it made, 5speed. You had a roof over your head (the car). I had nothing, man. Straightened my shit up, though, and now I'm living in the same house in the same THE neighborhood I grew up in. Giving my family damn near everything they want. Later, QD.

I am proud of you for that. There were a lot of times where I would go sleep at the park. 4 people in a Sable isn't easy to sleep in.

quickdodgeŽ
05-10-2010, 11:44 PM
I am proud of you for that. There were a lot of times where I would go sleep at the park. 4 people in a Sable isn't easy to sleep in.

Thanks. And with your upcoming future endeavors, it looks as if you'll be right behind me, man. You wouldn't be getting married if your girl didn't see something in you, man. Later, QD.

5speed
05-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Thanks. And with your upcoming future endeavors, it looks as if you'll be right behind me, man. You wouldn't be getting married if your girl didn't see something in you, man. Later, QD.

Thanks, that means a lot to me QD. We need to meet in person ha. I kinda feel like I know you already, even though I thought you were black. I had pretty good reasoning for that though.

quickdodgeŽ
05-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Thanks, that means a lot to me QD. We need to meet in person ha. I kinda feel like I know you already, even though I thought you were black. I had pretty good reasoning for that though.

Why is that? Lolol. Later, QD.

03RCode
05-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Moved out with friends at 18 when we thought we knew everything. Job market here went to shit, we almost all ended up unemployed, moved back in at home before my 19th birthday. Staying here until I finish school in 2012, given that the world doesn't end before I get out.

5speed
05-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Oh, yea. I moved out when I was 19. Moved back in a year ago so my fiance and I could catch up on some debt. Hopefully we are out this summer.

Mad Mike
05-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Well I'm one step closer to being out on my own. I signed up for power, cable, phone and internet in my name today. 1 week to go and I move in.:super:

H1Cblacknight
05-14-2010, 03:48 PM
So now we know where the party is at!

sti_cham
05-14-2010, 11:34 PM

x2 taking care of mom ftw, id give you reps if i could lol

collins
05-18-2010, 02:12 PM
I signed the lease on a house today. I'll be moving out on my own in 2 weeks.:D Its a nice place with a private stocked pond, and its closer to my job and a lot of my friends.

Sorry I'm just proud of myself. 26 and finally moving out LOL:doh:

congrats man! i moved out a few years back. i was 22 if i remember correctly... or maybe 21... oh hell i dont remember. then after one helluva breakup with someone that wont be mentioned, i moved back in for a little while just to get my ish straight. i had planned on getting back out, but with all of dad's health issues, there are many things he simply cannot do anymore so i'm still here helping out. believe me, i miss being out on my own BIG TIME, but duty calls right now. family is more important.

Evil Goat
05-18-2010, 02:48 PM
moved out at 20...got married a month later, lol

UpSideDownDesi
05-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Got my first house when i was 20, was doing good, and got another nicer bigger house when i was 21. Opened a new busniess and vested good chunk of my savings in it, partners turned crooks so long story short I have a lawsuit against the partners. Back on track, but in no rush to soar hight, steady keeps me goin. So as of now back in with parents to free up some time/stress, taking advantage off the opportunity and going back to school for anther degree. By no means I stay as a freeloader, I give them good bit of my earnings every month to show some respect. I still have my houses so I can move back out anytime, but at home it sure is helping toward education focus so plan on staying in for another year so.

Revmaynard
05-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Since I was 16. Kind of why my cars were all slow moving projects for awhile. lol Also why I bought the wagon, I couldn't afford the gas in my Blazer when gas spiked and work was slow. :/

ultm8mind
05-19-2010, 04:09 PM
I moved out at 18 and that was about 8 countries ago, LOL.....

congrats on becoming a "grown up"

miragemaniac
05-21-2010, 07:31 AM
I moved out for about 6 months then me and the ex broke up and she got the house...She was paying rent :/ I was paying for everything else :P

. . . . . bitch

Evil Goat
05-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Got my first house when i was 20, was doing good, and got another nicer bigger house when i was 21. Opened a new busniess and vested good chunk of my savings in it, partners turned crooks so long story short I have a lawsuit against the partners. Back on track, but in no rush to soar hight, steady keeps me goin. So as of now back in with parents to free up some time/stress, taking advantage off the opportunity and going back to school for anther degree. By no means I stay as a freeloader, I give them good bit of my earnings every month to show some respect. I still have my houses so I can move back out anytime, but at home it sure is helping toward education focus so plan on staying in for another year so.

:lmfao: bullshit...

Mad Mike
05-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Well its official. I'm on my own. All moved in.

Its so quiet... I love it.

StreetHazard
05-23-2010, 10:57 PM
I moved out for about 6 months then me and the ex broke up and she got the house...She was paying rent :/ I was paying for everything else :P

. . . . . bitch

Get used to it, until you buy your own house. I have already decorated 3 different womens places with new living room and bedroom sets and all kinds of other shit, dishes, silverware. I just let them have the shit when we broke up to avoid hard feelings and epic fights. I didn't own anything more than what I could fit in my car and $19.99 U-haul truck, until fairly recently....i'm trying hard to keep the girl I got now but we will see.

But mostly im trying hard not to be jaded...the girl I got now I wouldn't even buy her flowers for the longest time...I got all defensive and shit "WHY? WHY THE FUCK SHOULD I BUY YOU FLOWERS? I don't give a fuck about valentines day, we are just going to break up in 6 months anyway right?"

im working at it....I think im getting better

Dylan
05-24-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm moving out on the 1st.Just a few more days and ill be on my own.

Bajjani
05-24-2010, 11:42 AM
23, April 26th 2010. I had a very blessed life though and a father who never let me want for anything, same thing I plan to accomplish when I have a family of my own.

If you count leaving for college I had an apartment in college in KY for almost 4 years.

bdydrpdmazda
05-24-2010, 12:05 PM

X2, I moved out when I was 18 and moved from GA to Alaska to be in the Army...

Logan
05-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Congrats OP!

I imagine I will move out when I am 22 or so. For now it is the parent's house/dorm.

Going to school 4 and 5 days per week doesn't leave much time to get much of a good paying job.

SlowsterCivy
05-27-2010, 05:37 PM
When I got married at 24.

jdm_crx_man
05-27-2010, 09:28 PM
i was 17