PDA

View Full Version : Questions: Processors, page file

jorgen
05-06-2010, 09:44 AM
First question.
In comparing dual core with quad core.
Lets say I have a 3.2 dual core processor. 3.2+3.2=6.4G processing power.
And a quad core at 1.6 1.6GX4=6.4G processing power.
Which performs better and why?

Page file. As someone that hates the page file, I have done my research. I do not belive in simply turning the page file off. I do believe that certain programs are written specifically to use the page file. An example would be photoshop.
I have read up on a few interesting ways to deal with this.

1 - Put the page file and temp directories on a SSD. Some people say this is a bad idea because this type of high volume random read/write will wear the SSD out fast. However, when you think about the fact that the SSD is essentially a giant chip with no moving parts, makes for great read times. Most of the page file activity is reading.

2 - If you have enough memory, use a program to create a logical partition in the memory, this way, the page file is actually put on the memory, but the operating system doesn't know the difference. It see's the memory as hard drive space.

I do have a bad ass machine. 3.0G [intel] Dual core w/ 2Gigs ram.
This thing usually flys. My performance problems have always been with disk I/O.

Your thoughts?

91LudeSiT
05-06-2010, 05:40 PM
You can't generalize multicore processors like that, 3.2+3.2 does not equal 6.4. I don't have a clue what you are doing but you are completely wrong. The number of cores relates to the number of simultaneous programs that can be run at once. Single core processors simulate multitasking, this is fake but it works. Multicore provides you with true multitasking, more cores means more simultaneous processes. As for your page file, LEAVE IT ALONE! Let windows handle it, it knows better then you do. If you are worried about disk I/O I suggest more spindles in a RAID 0 Array.

jorgen
05-07-2010, 08:30 AM
The 3.2+3.2=6.4 is just for an example of processing power.
But your right, because that is speed not power.

So whats better, 4 1.6G processors or 2 3.2G processors?

91LudeSiT
05-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Depends how many things you want to do at one time, if you are gaming get the dual core. If you spend more time multitasking, things like web browsing/email/photo editing/etc, the quad core will be better.