PDA

View Full Version : Formula One making a return to the US.... with a twist...

İhris
05-03-2010, 04:16 PM
nothing official yet... but imagine... F1... Streets of New York.... :yes:

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-new-venue-for-us-gp-return/

F1: New Venue For US GP Return?
Tony George was seen in Shanghai for the Chinese Grand Prix...

Tony George is interested in taking Formula One back to the United States.

The 50-year-old former boss of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway was spotted in Shanghai for the Chinese Grand Prix.

George met with F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone and also Zak Brown, founder and CEO of motor sport marketing firm Just Marketing who represents several high level sponsors according to the Indianapolis Business Journal (IBJ).

"Would Tony George love to broker a deal to bring back a US Grand Prix? Sure," said Brown.

IBJ said sources confirmed that George was in China to discuss F1's return to America and meet with potential sponsors for a race that would not necessary take place at Indianapolis.

Indeed, new Indianapolis Motor Speedway boss Jeff Bulskus said George was not in China to represent the fabled Indy 500 venue, while Ecclestone has been pushing for a street race with the New York skyline.

Brown said: "Tony has a lot of contacts in motor sports, and he knows how to put on a US Grand Prix."

"I think if there's a role for Tony in trying to bring Formula One back to the US, he'd be willing to help. Tony and Bernie have a very good relationship, and Tony has a lot of interest in seeing F1 return to the US," he added.

Tony George, who still has an ownership stake in the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, could not be reached for comment.

Elbow
05-03-2010, 04:26 PM
They've been talking about this for a long time now, BBC asked Bernie about it in China as well but Bernie always seems like he's kidding so who knows?

EJ25RUN
05-04-2010, 10:24 AM
And another time Bernie's ideas are there to ruin F1 and any idea of a respectable U.S. GP. I mean seriously, as a driver, who'd feel proud winning a race around a New Jersey park?
Long Beach was so long ago and Watkins Glen way before that. If they want a U.S. GP so bad, why not bring the funds to a place like Miller Motorsport park? When a city sees F1 as a tourist attraction in the same way a city wants the Olympics or the World Cup, the racing always suffers.

I hope it doesn't happen so a REAL track keeps the GP.

İhris
05-04-2010, 11:03 AM
i was actually thinking Miller would be a great track... just not so sure they have the capacity. I have only seen the track config... not sure what kind of grandstand/spectator areas are like

İhris
05-04-2010, 11:07 AM
latest update.... jersey city... http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-jersey-city-a-possible-new-york-gp-site/

Elbow
05-04-2010, 11:17 AM
I still say Road America.

İhris
05-04-2010, 12:27 PM
add 3 more turns between 6 and 7 at Road Atlanta..... mmmmm that would be nice :) lol add at least another .5-1mi

Elbow
05-04-2010, 03:59 PM
LOL true but Road Atlanta could NEVER pull it off and if they did the track would be worthless for spectators. They'd have to move so many walls back and make runoff room plus grandstands, I refuse to go to races that require sitting in a grandstand.

EJ25RUN
05-04-2010, 11:37 PM
Don't ruin Road Atlanta for F1. Brands Hatch is too slow for F1 and is a better still a great circuit.

Anytime there are rapid elevation changes, F1 and LMP cars don't work. I'm happy RA is still fast enough for LMP cars at Petit.

EJ25RUN
05-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Jersey City cans F1 grand prix plan

Autosport

By Pablo Elizalde Wednesday, May 5th 2010, 13:54 GMT

Jersey City has given up on its plans to host a Formula 1 race in the future, with its mayor canning the project just one day after it was made public.

"After a review of the draft proposal prepared by the City's Tourism Office, I have come to the same conclusion...that this type of event is not suited for Liberty State Park," Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy was quoted as saying in a statement by local media.

"While we work to attract national and international events to our city, we must ensure that they are appropriate and will have the least impact upon the quality of life of our residents and our community."

The city had prepared a draft for a five-year deal to host a Formula 1 race, with a 3.6-mile race track across the streets of Jersey City.

The news was welcome by a group opposing the event.

"Mayor Healy did reach out to me yesterday and we had a very constructive conversation," Sam Pesin, president of Friends of Liberty State Park, said.

"Instead of a negative wasteful controversy, we can all focus on working together on positive efforts to benefit Jersey City and Liberty State Park."

WOOHOO!!! Common Sense wins! :D

Elbow
05-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Thank God.

OnURleft
05-05-2010, 07:02 PM
I can think of so many badass places to sanction a race track in downtown Atlanta, gotta love them "indian trails" that are now roadways + we are on a Piedmont.

Elbow
05-06-2010, 07:10 AM
I can name one major reason why F1 won't come to "Hotlanta."

Hint.

StreetHazard
05-06-2010, 10:50 AM
I can name one major reason why F1 won't come to "Hotlanta."

Hint.

besides potholes the size of meteor craters and the giant metal plates that cover them?

Elbow
05-06-2010, 11:53 AM
besides potholes the size of meteor craters and the giant metal plates that cover them?

Well they'd fix all of that.

StreetHazard
05-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Well they'd fix all of that.

they should leave them alone and have Baja truck races downtown instead