PDA

View Full Version : D16Z6 sputtered ~~~> died

Bacon
05-02-2010, 02:12 PM
On the way to Alpharetta yesterday, I was in traffic and the car started sputtering lightly and then badly. Turned around to head to my office and the sputtering got worse over time. Car barely got up a hill in second gear. Once the road got level, shifted to fourth and lost all power. No matter how much I pressed the gas, it wasn't getting anywhere. Got to my office and turned it off. Popped the hood and smoke was coming from the back. Nothing that I could see was damaged. It wasn't knocking. Now it won't start. I've changed:

~plugs and wires
~cap and rotor
~fuel filter
~dizzy internals all changed
~radiator ( no connection but it was leaking )
~Password JDM GSR "whale penis" intake ( doubt its this but listed because it was something recent )

Pulled one plug and checked each wire individually and they are all sparking.
Fuel pump cuts on.
No CELs.

Barefoot
05-02-2010, 04:57 PM
this smoke where in the back was it coming from. what did the smoke smell like. whats your compression

Bacon
05-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Doing compression numbers on Tuesday. Head gasket was reportedly changed my the previous owner. Smelled like oil but I have a known oil leak from the vtec solenoid.

Barefoot
05-02-2010, 06:20 PM
that leak wouldnt show from the back of the car.

j0nbunklah0m
05-02-2010, 07:52 PM
should take out ur injectors n clean em. this happened to me recently

Bacon
05-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Injectors may need to be cleaned. Not sure if that would stop it from completely starting. May run like shit to it should at least start.

preferredduck
05-03-2010, 01:59 PM
that leak wouldnt show from the back of the car.

on a z6 yes it would for sure. it would run down the back of the head. also if an injector goes or they are all clogged it can shut the car down, i used to watch them pop test the injectors on mack trucks and if one out of the 8 wasn't right the truck would not run right.

Bacon
05-03-2010, 08:37 PM
I am gonna wait to see what the comp test shows tomorrow. It's starting to irritate me.

Bacon
05-03-2010, 10:11 PM
UPDATE: Car is running.

Here is what it's doing though. It is idling semi fine right now. If I fast open the throttle it bogs down, and when I light tap it a few times more and more each time it doesn't bog down.

Starrfire
05-04-2010, 11:16 PM
remove the spark plug wires and look in the hole. See anything wet?
Are there an excessive amount of bubbles going in the overflow tank?
Also is it still smoking? color of the smoke? have you checked the oil or coolant to see if one is in the other.

Bacon
05-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Pulled all spark plugs and there wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Coolant and oil are both fine.

cprtyler
05-08-2010, 12:02 AM
ck timing belt even that its running does not mean that your not streched or missing a tooth or two

B20B!Ithink?
05-09-2010, 09:05 PM
I got it lol idk for shure how this coulda happened maybe a cruel joke but check ur tps and map harnessesssss my friend swapped his and his did the exact same thing quick throttle shut off. slowly tap the gas and i could get it to about 3 grand but no more. i know u said no cels but he had non either and idk how this could have happened to you but it could be it who knows!

Bacon
05-14-2010, 09:44 PM
I will check those but doubt its it. It actually runs better with the fuel pressure vacuum hose off than it does with it on. Gonna do a comp test tonight to see if it's internal. Have a Walbro pump coming in a few days.

UPDATE: Comp test shows 145, 140, 135, 145 ( 4 3 2 1 respectively ) . Gonna take the throttle body off and clean everything there and also remove the cat and put a delete in there to see if maybe the cat is causing some weird problems.

Thegrizz
05-21-2010, 11:54 AM
get those injectors checked bro thats what im thinkin.if u need i got a vtec sylanoid ill sell u cheap as well.which gasket is it leaking from top or bottom??

Bacon
05-29-2010, 10:43 AM
The following has been replaced:
~fuel pump with a Walbro unit
~brand new fuel filter
~injectors from a Prelude ( yes they work )
~fuel pressure regulator also brand new
~plugs, wires, cap, rotor (will replace the cap again soon since one of the bolts went through the plastic. i am still getting spark at all four cylinders)
~dizzy internals replaced with parts from a JDM prelude dizzy
~radiator ( not related )
~new dizzy coming within the next week
~new intake ( don't think it's this )
~compression numbers were good across the board.
~new gasket coming for the vtec solenoid.

Still bogging down and sputtering. A couple of friends said i need to check all of the timing to make sure nothing jumped and also need to check my cat to see if it's that. Car only produced smoke from the back of the motor once and never saw it again.

SKarpenz
05-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Sounds like timing. I had a friend who didn't set timing correctily after a water pump change and it did this crap. I got everything straight and it fired up and drove perfect.

Vteckidd
05-29-2010, 01:41 PM
check your timing belt sounds like it jumped a tooth

Bacon
05-29-2010, 04:13 PM
That is next. Just changed the dizzy and threw in a set of Denzo Iridiums and it seems to be idling a little better. Gonna clean up the throttle body and IACV real good, change the VTEC solenoid gasket, and change the cat. After all that and checking the timing, hopefully it will be running a lot better and you can use it for testing if need be.

Vteckidd
05-29-2010, 04:40 PM
i wouldnt do that cat yet. Pull the valve cover and set it to TDC youll know really quickly if its off a tooth

Bacon
05-30-2010, 12:32 AM
i will do that sometime this week. gotta find my timing light :goodjob: i will post results when i find the stuff.

Vteckidd
05-30-2010, 02:28 AM
You don't need a timing light actually . You're just checking mechanical timing on the belt not ignition timing

slimm
05-30-2010, 08:34 AM
youve done all of this work and its prolly the timing.

CaTcH22
05-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Get a can of ether or brake cleaner, at the same time as you open the throttle (WOT) lightly spray into the TB. If it revs up like normal then you have a fuel problem. If it doesnt rev up any better then its another issue. Usually if the timing jumps far enough that it wont crank back up, the valves hit. Its possible though. The converter guts may have knocked loose and turned sideways. That will cause it to bog, but slowly rev up like normal.

Bacon
05-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Well, Saturday I changed the dizzy to a newer one that doesn't have any rust on the inside of it and also changed over to Denzo Iridiums and that seemed to help although I probably wouldn't drive it though. I will look into the timing more tomorrow and see what I can find. Thanks for all of the input guys. Will start repping soon :goodjob:

Bacon
05-31-2010, 08:24 PM
Diagnosis - timing belt stretched from hell and likely bent a couple of valves. Ripped off the cam cover and the belt was wobbling side to side a little too much.

madwick
06-07-2010, 10:16 PM
so that suckles. did you replace the timing belt? did it fix the issue? my gs-r is doing the same!

Bacon
06-09-2010, 09:03 PM
I am replacing the timing belt this weekend but it may be useless. Me and my buddy are thinking some valves are bent but we won't know until we get it running. I am putting together a swap at the moment anyways so this motor doesn't mean anything to me anymore.