PDA

View Full Version : I'm having some problems!

antj101
05-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Me and roger just did a motor swap on my 89' rx7. We put in another 13b with more than half the miles the last motor did. Before we did the swap the car sat for about a month. Well after the swap we fired it up and It was running great. I was turning onto a road and all of a sudden the car started running like shit. No power, backfiring, white smoke, and it wont idle. Help a fellow 7 owner out yall.

cVon128
05-03-2010, 07:57 AM
White smoke is usually due to a lean running condition, but not always. The first thing you need to do if you don't have any power is do a compression check. The problem would be hard to diagnose without being there but it sounds to me like the culprit is one of the following things: Cracked or broken Apex seal, worn out or bad water jacket seals due to overheating, or the most common of all, LOW FLUIDS. Be sure to check your oil and coolant levels. A rotary will run hot easily even on low coolant. It will also do this on low oil. Also the belt tension can be an issue too. If they are too tight, it can cause excess load on the engine, causing it to burn coolant and oil faster(it's happened on mine before.) If you have full fluids and the belts weren't too tight, then most likely the engine is losing compression on one of the rotors. Good luck and hope all is well.

DVSRX-7
05-03-2010, 10:10 PM
White smoke is usually due to a lean running condition, but not always. The first thing you need to do if you don't have any power is do a compression check. The problem would be hard to diagnose without being there but it sounds to me like the culprit is one of the following things: Cracked or broken Apex seal, worn out or bad water jacket seals due to overheating, or the most common of all, LOW FLUIDS. Be sure to check your oil and coolant levels. A rotary will run hot easily even on low coolant. It will also do this on low oil. Also the belt tension can be an issue too. If they are too tight, it can cause excess load on the engine, causing it to burn coolant and oil faster(it's happened on mine before.) If you have full fluids and the belts weren't too tight, then most likely the engine is losing compression on one of the rotors. Good luck and hope all is well.

Not to sure about this. He still has his 20 year old fuel pump in the tank, also liked to say that Compression was at 90 per face when I pulled the engine from the other 7.

cVon128
05-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Yeah if the fuel pump is bad it might not be an engine failure. You might can replace it and cross your fingers. From my experience, white smoke and no power usually always was a blown seal.

kain
05-04-2010, 02:25 PM
yup. you can check to see if the coolant is bubbling as well.

thegovanator
05-04-2010, 02:29 PM
It sounds like an apex seal, good thinking on the fuel pump but I wouldn't get my hopes up about it, white smoke is usually the sign of a seal.

CHRISNITTOLO
05-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Well son of a bitch! I guess I'll do the compression test and see whats up! Thanks for all the advice guys. I dont know what i'm going to do if the engine is fucked. I haven't even drove it since the motor swap. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do? Cause I have no idea. I have two 7's and neither of them run at the moment. And I need a car bad!

CHRISNITTOLO
05-04-2010, 07:51 PM
WTF? Why do you do this? Just sign out before you start posting. BTW, Roger... you need to get over here and do this swap from the white 7 into this other one.

00Civic
05-17-2010, 07:03 PM
did you fix it