PDA

View Full Version : Need help with D16Y8

Allshow97
04-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Alright so here's what I got going on. The car runs fine and all for the most part. However, idling at a red light or a stop the car will idle fine and then all of a sudden theres a hit which feels similar to a miss fire or backfire. I've changed the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor button. I also dumped a bottle of sea foam in the gas tank thinking maybe crappy gas. I'm at a loss at this point :thinking::thinking::thinking: and am looking for pointers for other things to look at. If anyone has any ideas please let me know and reps will be given.

Thanks!

Allshow97
05-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Ok update to my issue:

Last weekend I removed the IACV and thoroughly cleaned it with carb cleaner and cleared the screen of any nastyness. I also unplugged the IACV and adjusted my idle with the idle adjustment screw, however, the screw is almost completely loose in order to get it to the 800rpm idle mark. Once I plugged the IACV back in it seemed to work briefly, but the hesitation came back after a while. It's more prevalent when the AC is on but also does it occasionally when it's off. I've also noticed a slight miss every once in a while under acceleration in lower gears (Mainly 1st and 2nd).

I really need some help here, and any info leading to a solution would be greatly appreciated, and reps handed out.

Thanks!

Allshow97
05-13-2010, 06:55 AM
So no one has any ideas?

preferredduck
05-18-2010, 09:52 PM
check your timing if your screw is that far out for sure. is it swapped any things we need to know about?

Allshow97
05-19-2010, 07:51 AM
The previous owner did swap this Y8 in because the previous had thrown a rod.

This past weekend I did the idle learn process by disconnecting the battery for 5 mins, hooking it up, starting the car and let it idle with no accessories on for 10 mins. Normal idle is perfect @ 800rpm when the A/C is on the idle drops nothing dramatic anymore but is still significant, drops to around 500 rpm or so. When the compressor engages it drops, as soon as the compressor disengages it idles back up. Also I noticed braking has an effect on it as well. So now it becomes a question of vacuum issues or not.

The only thing I still can't figure out is the random miss like feelings. They aren't as prevalent now as they were before, but it still happens randomly, and the weird thing is that the idle isn't affected when it does it, the tachometer doesn't even flinch, but you can hear it in the exhaust and feel it in the car. It's really strange.

Mr. Fix-it.
05-19-2010, 12:19 PM
if you figure out what that miss is then let me know. lol. i have the same problem with my civic.

Allshow97
05-19-2010, 12:28 PM
I'll definitely be sure to let you know. It's really driving me crazy lol.

D3UC3S
05-19-2010, 06:20 PM
MIne is stock and half the time it idles at 400 or so, and half the time its perfect. Im new to a y8.

bump

preferredduck
05-19-2010, 10:22 PM
when you adjusted the idle did you disconnect the idle air control valve while doing this, it is a must when you mess with the screw. if it's really low then you may need a friend to give it a little gas to get it to where it needs to be. i had to help my brother do this a couple of weeks ago. warm it up, disconnect the iacv, adjust, plug back up, remove the backup fuse and see what happens. my si sometimes feels like it has a miss sometimes at idle etc and esp when i let off the gas. everything is as it should but i have not tuned my setup either.

your idle with the IACV unplugged should be 480 +/- 50 rpm so that should be where you need to set it when it's unplugged. plugged in after adjustment should be 680 +/- 50 rpm on a manual tranny. hope this helps a little. when you hit the brakes, use the a/c, or have headlights on etc there will always be an idle change but it should go right back to where it needs to be. sometimes mine idles at 900 rpm for a couple of seconds then drops at a red light.. all of these things are controlled by your electronic load detector which i doubt is bad it's just something honda's do and i have seen it for years. as long as the idle returns to where it should after a few seconds it should be ok i hope i was thorough enough for you.

preferredduck
05-19-2010, 10:31 PM
i wish i could hear or see what the "miss" is you guys are speaking of b/c it may be nothing but a few things needing to be set right and that's it. i know at idle sometimes mine feels like it kisses a little and can hear it in my exhaust but i have heard it on almost every honda/car i have been in.

Allshow97
05-20-2010, 06:49 AM
When I initially adjusted the idle, yes, I unplugged the IACV and followed the steps to a T. After that didn't work as it should have, I decided to try the ECM idle learning, which helped dramatically. Like I said at this point the only thing that is still baffling me is the random miss like feelings. It feels like a misfire, you can feel it in the whole car, hear it in the exhaust, yet the tachometer never jumps when it does it. It's very strange.

*EDIT*: I have some 7mm NGK Silicone wires on the way, maybe the el-cheapo wires on here don't like my iridium plugs for some reason. Been wanting to get some nice wires so I just decided to bite the bullet.