PDA

View Full Version : H22a vtec wont engage

SkiiZ
04-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Alright so I have a jdm H22a in my accord with a p13 ecu.. and for some reason she doesn't want to engage vtec and redlines at around 5,600.

There is plenty of oil. My oil pan is BARELY dented.. and when I say barely I mean look at the white part of your finger nail.. thats about how deep it is.

I have put on a new VTEC solenoid and VTEC pressure switch.

I have fixed all my ecu codes (o2 sensor..)

My car IS warmed up..

I have also tried putting in a p28 ecu and that didn't work either.

Any ideas??

D3UC3S
04-28-2010, 07:15 PM
speed sensor maybe? Do your gauges work properly or are they jumpy? mainly the speedo...

Did you properly install the controller? maybe yoou have something messed up with that?

lude66
04-28-2010, 07:27 PM
did you just do a swap?

Barefoot
04-28-2010, 08:07 PM
VTEC Troubleshooting
Ok, I have noticed ALOT of people recently asking about why their vtec isn't working. I'm just going to do some of the basic steps in checking to see why the **** vtec isn't working .
1) Oil level, its gotta be FULL. I'm talking at the upper mark on the dipstick.

2) Solenoid, Ok this is a 2 parter. A) take a wire (any wire) disconnect the grey plug on the vtec solenoid and touch the wire to the pos. battery terminal and the solenoid side of the grey 1 pin connector. there should be an audible click from the solenoid. B) If A checks out, remove the solenoid and clean the filter screen. (self explanatory)

3) Speed, the car must be going over 10 mph so the spedo must be working. that means the VSS has to be working. vtec is temperamental isn't it?

4) more oil, check the oil pan. if its dented POUND IT OUT!. this is why mine wasn't working. the pan was dented in far enough to hit the oil pickup for the pump to cause low pressure situation in the head, no pressure no vtec.

5) ECU Swap out to another ECU that you KNOW vtec works on.

6) Car must be at I belive its 80 degrees or higher so let car get to a normal operating temprature.

7) If none of the above work, you might want to pull the solenoid off the head, remove the solenoid filter and verify the piston moves freely.

Thats a basic troubleshoot for it. if i missed anything or got anything wrong just reply and ill change the info.
If you go through all this and it still doesn't work its oil pressure (the pump) or wiring related. so check all the wires for vtec.
Thats it i hope it helps some people.
Joe

[Modified by KAMiN, 5:45 PM 6/5/2002]

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=164863

SkiiZ
04-28-2010, 08:34 PM
No, swap was done awhile ago. And I read that post too. Everything is wired correctly and we did clean everything VTEC wise. My oil is at the first dot on my dip stick.. but we are not sure if I have an accord dip stick or a prelude.

Also, no my speedo and everything works fine. And I always let my car get warm before I drive it anywhere.

Barefoot
04-28-2010, 09:39 PM
well it looks like your at the point u need a trained pro to look at it and do a full diag on the issue at hand.

SkiiZ
04-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Awesome.. could it be that maybe they didnt put the vtec cams in it? How would I tell?

G.C
04-28-2010, 11:37 PM
double check your wiring.

yellow ek
04-28-2010, 11:51 PM
Barefoot, I have been looking into his problem for awhile now. I have been messing with Honda's for 10+ years ( I know that doesn't always mean a lot) Everything checks out. I fixed all wiring and tried a different solenoid even though his was clicking. I have adjusted everything that was wrong with the car from when he bought it, but this is the only thing that we can't figure out. His oil level sits at the bottom dot but it has five quarts in it. I adjusted the valves, but it still makes a pecking noise at idle to about 2,000 rpm. Its in time, no codes and runs good except the vtec engagement. We are hoping someone has had this problem before or has some fresh ideas.

Oh yea, its got vtec cams in it

EmminoDaGreat
04-29-2010, 12:09 AM
fix the dent.

94ej2
04-29-2010, 12:11 AM
forgot the orings?

JGilbert312
04-29-2010, 11:03 PM
My Vtec wasn't engaging on my old b16a, but it was because of my oil pump..

jmotley
05-16-2010, 06:29 PM
why dont you buy a k swapped ek? so someone can build that damn rx7... noob

b13isme
05-17-2010, 05:56 AM
yup im having same problems on my gsr i've tried everything and then some