PDA

View Full Version : So you're riding down the highway and you hear the back fire from hell...

04sleepa
04-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Now your crx is back firing, sputtering, and you have sporadic throttle response which is slowly declining. You pull off to the side of the highway, shut the car off, and then crank it again but as soon as you tap the accelerator it backfires and shuts off. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS CAR??? LOL This happened to me the other day and I'm trying to figure out what my problem could be. First thing i thought was fuel but i hear my pump and when I checked my filter today it seemed fine. Now it won't crank at all. It tries to but just dies ha. There's a new main relay on there so I don't believe that this would be the source of my problems but I haven't checked it out yet. Any insight??

scttydb411
04-26-2010, 11:17 PM
any codes/cel? first place to look. anything change or work done recently?

04sleepa
04-26-2010, 11:25 PM
any codes/cel? first place to look. anything change or work done recently?

That was one of the first things I checked when I pulled over. No codes and no recent work other than swapping my cat. I did however move the relay to under the dash because the guy before me had it dangling down. That was done about a week before this happened though.

04sleepa
04-27-2010, 02:04 AM
Sounds like you’re flooding. Yeah the filter is good and the pump is working but it sounds like to me that you have an injector stuck open.

ahh. I havent checked out my injectors yet either. Lets hope I find out what the deal is tomorrow ha

Barefoot
04-27-2010, 07:15 AM
dizzy

04sleepa
04-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Ok just got back in and everything with the fuel seems to be fine. The relay looks like it always did and no wires are pulled or exposed. One thing I did notice is that after trying to crank smoke cam from the throttle body so here is the next clue I guess. Still no cel or code.

04sleepa
04-27-2010, 10:56 AM
Alright, the smoke was from fuel that was coming up through the butterfly after several attempts to crank. Im stumped ha

primespark22
04-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Listen to barefoot this happened to me,i was driving and it started to backfire.I turned it off and waited about 5 minutes then i crank it and ran fine,A week later it did it again but a little more violent and turnning it off didnt solve the issue.Finally it gave me a cel 9 and i double checked the wiring in my dizzy and voila fixed.I have a 98 b20b in my da9 but i still used the old ls dizzy so there was some faulty wiring

04sleepa
04-27-2010, 01:35 PM
the dizzy was replaced, or so I was told, before I bought the car. any way of testing it myself??

Black4DrEK
04-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Ignition

Dizzy..

04sleepa
04-27-2010, 01:47 PM
dizzy

Listen to barefoot this happened to me,i was driving and it started to backfire.I turned it off and waited about 5 minutes then i crank it and ran fine,A week later it did it again but a little more violent and turnning it off didnt solve the issue.Finally it gave me a cel 9 and i double checked the wiring in my dizzy and voila fixed.I have a 98 b20b in my da9 but i still used the old ls dizzy so there was some faulty wiring

Ignition

Dizzy..

any test that I can do myself? never had to deal with ignition problems. And i did get it to semi turn on but it was ridiculously rough and sputtering so I shut if off.

Barefoot
04-27-2010, 02:08 PM
do u have spark on all 4

04sleepa
04-27-2010, 02:15 PM
do u have spark on all 4
if im not mistaken you can find that out by pulling one wire at a time and holding a screw driver near the end of the wire that sits on top of the plug right?

Black4DrEK
04-27-2010, 02:17 PM
yea

Barefoot
04-27-2010, 02:34 PM
correct

or

u can pay me to come out and do all the diag for u. while u pay xbox or ps3 whichever u like.

04sleepa
04-27-2010, 03:05 PM
so i ran back downstairs to do the screwdriver test and realized, "hey..the car won't stay running" haha. any other way to test? and barefoot, I would pay you to come out here man but the tow bill alone was insane so now I need to go into self service mode ha.

Black4DrEK
04-27-2010, 03:14 PM
WTF??

You dont need to actually run the car...

you turn it over with ONE sparkplug wire out, and while turning the motor over SEE IF you can get a spark

04sleepa
04-27-2010, 03:19 PM
WTF??

You dont need to actually run the car...

you turn it over with ONE sparkplug wire out, and while turning the motor over SEE IF you can get a spark

I know but i'm on my own and that would be a talented feet to achieve by myself lol.

edit: roommate is on the way though so I should be able to find out within the hour.

Black4DrEK
04-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Yea its easy with 2.. hahaha

04sleepa
04-27-2010, 04:23 PM
just checked and I did not see a spark jump from any of the wires. so is this one of those things where I can maybe get away with replacing the cap and rotor or do i need an entire new distributor?

Black4DrEK
04-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Well take the cap off.. See if anything unusual..

but jus replace the dang DIZZY.. Or there are also other ways to test your dizzy yes..

Got a Multi meter?

Google.com.. Test honda dizzy? Search.. BOOM there you have it.. GOOGLE works wonders while your at home.. Your on IA right, get on Google and search too man..

04sleepa
04-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Oh yea man I know. Ive been searching the whole time. I just figured that the best advice, tips, help, ect. would come from someone who has possibly been through the issue already.

Z0_o6
04-28-2010, 12:30 AM
i'm 99.9% certain you are going to need a new igniter module, which is inside the distributor. they are notorious for failing on those cars, and they cause the exact symptoms you are describing. see if you can find someone with an extra distributor laying around and steal the igniter (which is the small brown module with 4 spade terminals on it.)

04sleepa
05-01-2010, 07:57 PM
A big thanks to Identity_Crisis for the heads up and ReXy5709 for the part. Issue resolved!

04sleepa
05-02-2010, 02:37 AM
soo i was driving to gwinnett and boom, the back fire from hell came back around ha. i was going to swap out to another icm when i notice that the screw in the rotor fell out. then i thought back to earlier and the screw was out as well. so i put it back in as tight as i could and finished my trip and back with no problems.

Barefoot
05-02-2010, 08:04 AM
love it when im right

04sleepa
05-02-2010, 08:36 AM
lol luckily the screw was shiney and the flashlight caught it. I appreciate all the help people!