PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Corvette Owners Please Take a Look

Whiteboy572
04-26-2010, 05:31 PM
I saw this on another forum and was speachless. Its well worth reading IMO.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-tech-performance/2579876-my-experience-with-mti-racing-of-atlanta-42-000-later-part-1-of-3-a.html

slostang
04-26-2010, 05:37 PM
yeah ive never really herd anything good about MTI.

MachNU
04-26-2010, 05:40 PM
link doesnt work for me

On_Her_Face
04-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Never heard a good story.

Schroeder
04-26-2010, 06:29 PM
I saw that! I hate it for the OP. Hopefully he will get what he paid for without having to fight. Thats the chance you take when paying someone else to do your work. Sucks big time.

allout13
04-26-2010, 06:57 PM
That really sucks for the guy. $13k-23k is ridiculous.

On a side note, look at all of the proper punctuation and sentence structure used by the people on that site. lol
It made it so much easier to read through the thread.

Echonova
04-26-2010, 07:06 PM
MTI ain't the only horrible shop in Atlanta... We have more than our fair share.

The Creeper
04-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Dude was out of his mind to spend that kind of money for those measly numbers anyways. I have never heard too much good about MTI, and would never take my z06 there. Main reason would be they are a total rip off....they like to bend people over.

darkshadow
04-26-2010, 08:04 PM
MTI Racing response
Here is our response...

We regretfully agree that the customer did not receive in a timely manner a detailed description of the components used. From the inception of the project, the customer would occasionally stop in and we would verbally discuss the project. The customer many times stressed that he wanted a moderate build with the focus on driveability and all around performance. He had also mentioned that after this build was done, a supercharger would possibly be an addition in the future. The engine was built for reliability, driveability, and good overall performance, not to be an all-out track motor. We built this engine with the customer’s needs in mind.

During the process of the build, many additional components and dress up items were added, per the customer, and the engine was looking great. When the project was completed, the customer picked up his car, he expressed his delight on how much power the car had, and more importantly how driveable it is. He was very thankful.

Now let’s address each bullet point from the original post.

Quote:
• SINGLE Valvesprings ( Sold MTI Racing Stage II Valvetrain (valvesprings, seals, seats, locks, retainers)
We used the Manley Nextech valvesprings. It is a great single spring that we have been dyno testing and racing on LS7s for years with great results. In fact, many race teams including the factory Corvette C6R and C5R use a single spring. The single spring is light weight and provides great reliability.

Quote:
• STOCK L92 Valves (Sold “Stainless light weight valves”))
We use lightweight valvetrain parts. For example, our retainers and seats are made from a very advanced alloy used in the highest technology circles of professional racing. We promised the customer lightweight valvetrain, and that is what he got. The written build sheets provided by the customer also verify this. We apologize for the miscommunication concerning the specific components used in a light weight valvetrain.

Quote:
Broken valvespring “keeper” removed upon inspection.
This would have been covered under our warranty if we had the opportunity to do so.

Quote:
Stage III” Cylinder Heads show VERY MINIMAL CNC work. Short turn radius minor CNC/slight bowl work
Most CNC’d LS3 heads are not ported in certain areas on purpose. Our flow bench testing and extensive research shows where to port and more importantly, where not to “over-port”. This is typical of top tuners. Over-porting is a common mistake typically seen at less experienced builders.

Quote:
• Mahle Pistons part # LS1 10500 010I12_2299_01 This piston is for an LS1 Cylinder Head. Upon further inspection the L92 valves (intake) do NOT fit in the valve relief. This was explained to me that this happens due to the intake valve being so large in the L92 heads and also being slightly shifted in the cylinder head. Mahle pistons are 12cc DISH. Cylinder heads were UNMILLED. STOCK MLS Gaskets were used. This equals 9.8:1 Compression for an NA ENGINE!!!
Valve reliefs in the pistons only serve to provide clearance at TDC. The pistons used in this build provided adequate clearance, so the location of the valve reliefs do not come into play. Engine was built with lower compression to facilitate possible supercharger install in the future. Our conversations with the customer lead us to believe that this was his intention. In fact, we document the pistons used and the Mahle part number in that engine is L92340065F04604001. Stock cylinder head chamber size is 69cc. These heads were milled to 65cc.

Quote:
• Crankshaft was pinned?? Typically only see this in supercharger applications
The Crankshaft was pinned to facilitate the possible addition of a supercharger in the future. Customer failed to mention that. This was a service done free of charge for the customer’s benefit.

Quote:
• LS3 Intake Manifold was NOT ported. Sold as “MTI Racing Intake Manifold” I ASSumed by having their name on it they did something to it.
We had removed some internal casting flanges and cleaned up some rough edges on the inside. The LS3 intake does not need significant porting. It flows very well with minimal modifications. Porting might increase power with a much larger camshaft, but that was not the goal with this build. Many times in the past we have replaced over ported leaking plastic manifolds that were installed in the quest for very minimal gains.

Quote:
• LS3 Throttlebody not ported
This was not part of the original build or invoice.

Here’s the bottom line:
We at MTI Racing are very disappointed anytime a customer is not satisfied with their build. We have re-examined the receipt and original build list to verify that the customer received what we discussed.

Shortly after the customer took delivery of the car, a follow up phone call was placed by MTI’s owner Reese Cox. The owner reported that after a weekend drive through the mountains that new engine combination was strong, powerful, smooth and would possibly get equal MPG as before.

The customer drove the car for a week to break in the new engine. He called us during that week to say that he was very happy with the car and that it drove fantastic! After a week of driving the car, the customer dropped the car off for oil change, dyno testing and final calibration.

Other than a minor idle issue, all indications lead us to believe that the customer was pleased with the car. After calling for an additional follow up, we were informed that the customer had taken the car to another shop. Reese asked if there was something wrong with the car and the customer replied “no.” Puzzled, Reese asked why and the customer replied, “to find out what is in the engine.”

For 5+ years, Mike has been a great and loyal customer at MTI Racing. We are devastated to lose a customer we have worked so closely with. MTI has been in business for over 15 years because of continued long term customer relationships. We value every customer’s business and take the goals for their car very seriously. We sincerely believed Mike’s goals were met at the time of the build and are sorry that Mike feels otherwise. He is always welcome at the MTI Racing family.

Most recent post on the site

on a side note. ive come to learn also this fellow wanted a Cheaper motor build to prepare his car for a S/C when money is right.
But both side are the story are allways good to hear

what i like to do when finding things like this is go threw and look for other write ups on a place and compare the amount of good one to bad ones. with Doing this for MTI i have by far found many more good write ups.

5speed
04-26-2010, 08:12 PM
Hmmm... I dont know which to believe. MTI seems honest with their side of the story. I dont know though. I have never even heard of the shop or know much if anything about Corvettes.

Kevykev
04-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Comprehensive complaint and comprehensive reply.

Wow.

Felt bad for the guy, especially when he was given the cold shoulder after his "car talk."

Echonova
04-26-2010, 08:28 PM
That was a well-thought out reply. But 23k still seems steep (to me) for parts that don't require a lot of work...

Best case scenario...Customer ordered a NA motor, client built a low compression based on what they thought he wanted. Communication is the life blood of any business.

darkshadow
04-26-2010, 08:29 PM
it would be hard for me to see that guy getting a cold shoulder from the guys at MTI. Most recently was at the camarofest. those guys even after working all day in the sun Took the time to come out and hang with a bunch of us in the parking lot. and talk cars and share Tons of info with everyone and just hang out and have a good time. then agin the next day out there working hard with there lift they had at camaro fest doing shifter installs.

darkshadow
04-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Indeed the low comp motor was odd. agree with Communication problem it seems some things wernt clear on what was to happen

Evil Goat
04-26-2010, 08:52 PM
lol at super quick and 410hp being in the same sentence....and paying $2300 for a standard clutch install

darkshadow
04-26-2010, 08:53 PM
just needs a Flux compacitor to handle all that raw poowwaa!

Evil Goat
04-26-2010, 09:18 PM
jesus christ....i just read through that i want to puke......this guy spent $40k and got 500hp turd

i spent less than 5k and got more than that and close to 100ft lbs more tq

5speed
04-26-2010, 09:24 PM
jesus christ....i just read through that i want to puke......this guy spent $40k and got 500hp turd

Yeah I know right! I chopped my legs off and bought $5k prosthetic legs and gained 200whp and 250ft-lbs torque

Echonova
04-26-2010, 09:33 PM
I spent a week in Thailand and all I got was Herpes.

Whiteboy572
04-26-2010, 09:45 PM
I think the bottom line for me is for 23k you could have a forged shortblock, better clutch, fuel system and blower setup for less than what he spent on just the motor. 600-800rwhp capable, and he got less power than what i made in $4,000 in mods. I have heard some stories from various shops around Ga and i was a customer at some. There arent many shops i would take my car to, aftermarket wise, but i found one that has taken my concerns seriously and delivered. If you do it right and let your work show you wont have to be doubted. 510whp/490wtq is a rough ball park of what that car should have made considering a 15% drivetrain loss being a manual.

Whiteboy572
04-26-2010, 09:49 PM
Clutches on vettes are a little different. Buyavette, maxie price, etc all want $1,000-$1,200 in labor and then depending on the clutch, etc. it gets up there. I had an ex mstr tech for gm that works from home do mine for $480 and the textralia clutch, flywheel and pressure plate was $950.

darkshadow
04-26-2010, 09:49 PM

all 40k wasnt spent on the the motor he had many other mods also other than power mods

On_Her_Face
04-26-2010, 09:53 PM
Wow I spent less than that and made 200 more horsepower, however my car is not a daily driver (or it wasn't :( )

Got Milk?
04-27-2010, 02:00 AM
Funny, how the topic got locked after MTI response.

Humphrizzle
04-27-2010, 03:16 AM
fuck that.. i'd flip out. idk how that pussy was so calm....

Echonova
04-27-2010, 08:11 AM
Funny, how the topic got locked after MTI response.Actually it was locked before MTI responded. There was so much clutter the mods locked it and cleaned the thread up, MTI had to PM a mod when they were ready to post.

Evil Goat
04-27-2010, 03:00 PM
all 40k wasnt spent on the the motor he had many other mods also other than power mods

if i said $23k would that make you feel better? i still got 18 g's in the bank and a car that makes more power

darkshadow
04-27-2010, 07:14 PM
if i said $23k would that make you feel better? i still got 18 g's in the bank and a car that makes more power

: ) happy now but agree these vett folks spends loads ooo cash but goes the same with any other "fancey" auto's

Evil Goat
04-27-2010, 07:29 PM
: ) happy now but agree these vett folks spends loads ooo cash but goes the same with any other "fancey" auto's

nothing fancy about a base model c5 he started with....guy just went off the deep end spending money on nothing, he couldve thrown a $600 nitrous kit at it and made that kinda power on a stock block reliably

OnURleft
04-27-2010, 08:51 PM
In my own eyes MTI builds bar none some of the best road racings cars and their trailor is typically at almost every track event and known by all who attend. Their stuff works and they roll with wealthy customers who appreciate their quality and experience. If you actually appreciate driving your Vette thousands of miles a year at W.O.T, rather then driving 20 times a year down a smoothe flat piece of 1/4 mile long pavement, then MTI can build you a very reputable and reliable track car ready for the most abusive style of driving. Their stuff works, their customers are at tracks around the country this weekend, and they stand by their work at all the events they go to. If your Z06 blows up on the back straight? Walk to MTI's trailer in the paddock... I see MTI at more events then any other trailor by another other car make and i've only ever been impressed, nor have I ever seen an MTI car or customer have any incidient/mechnical incident other than hitting a wall.
The problem is, as all shops who have this much experience, it costs lots of money to send your car there (i.e Kinetic, Bimmerworld, VAC, APR etc. etc). Essentially you are paying for the experience that other shops can't compare to. I'm sorry but my style of driving would not allow my conscious to let me send my car to a place soleley because x technician car is FAST and made GOOD POWER! That's irrational. Experience, education, customer support, engineering, are all qualities I look for that are present at this shop. Claiming your car is better because it made more power or is faster is just an ignorant way to fanboy for something you don't support

Also,
I'd put money that no shop in Georgia has more on track miles in their street cars then M.T.I. Anyone who's had the brains, balls or the dollars to get on a road course knows who they are, because they are typically the fastest ones out there in very solid vehicles their customers appreciate. I have never been a customer, nor was my brothers 383ci GTO built there, but this is just my .02 on the company from my obvservations.

darkshadow
04-28-2010, 12:43 PM
recent update i found "In fact, we document the pistons used and the Mahle part number in that engine is L92340065F04604001. Stock cylinder head chamber size is 69cc. These heads were milled to 65cc."